OEM Brakes or Aftermarket Brakes 03 Toyota Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went for inspection a few days ago and my car failed due to corrosion on my rear rotors and my pads were 1/32. Struggling with what I should do. I was able to get 141k on my last rotors. I had two sets of pads on the rear brakes, but now I am debating getting aftermarket parts. Any suggestions, toyota priced me out at 198 with taxes for two rotors and a set of pads. Is there any brands that you would suggest. This is a DD car, but I alternate between two cars. Was thinking of wagner pads and napa rotors or house brand rotors. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I like Centric Premium rotors because they have a black coating to deter rust. They can usually be had at a good price, too.

For pads, I like Axxis Deluxe, Wagner Thermoquiet, and Akebono ProACT.

Rear rotors usually last much longer than the fronts, because the front brakes do most of the stopping.

I'm a big fan of Centric rotors and Akebono ProACT ceramic pads.

Have them on my Accord now, they're a great combo.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I'm a big fan of Centric rotors and Akebono ProACT ceramic pads.

Have them on my Accord now, they're a great combo.

+1 Akebono ProAct ceramic pads. The rotors are much less important.

The Highlander has Akebono ProACT's and Brembo rotors from Amazon. I've used this combo maybe a half dozen times and I've always been happy.

Three times I've strayed, to ThermoQuiets which were pretty good (but not as good), Monroe and Checker store brand which both were pretty average.

I assume you went 141K with the original rotors. If so, $191 for Toyota OEMs rotor and pads for another 141K is worth it. Why change what's working for you? You have a greater chance of buying something that won't last as long since you are already happy.

Obviously you do not want to buy it from a stealership at that price. You'll definitely want to find genuine Toyota parts online.

Last edited:
Good pads mentioned above, I personally like the wagner thermoquitets and Akebono ProACT.

As for rotots, I like Centric premium and Raybestos Advance technology. Raybestos AT is my fav so far for DIY for cost to performance ratio.

AFAIK, if you want to go NAPA, I suggest their super (or was it ultra?) premium line. Their premium line is equivalent to the regular Centric and their ultra premium is equivalent to centric premium.

I have had great luck with Raybestos Advanced Technology on Honda and Toyota cars I have worked on, Amazon is usually the cheapest but not always. Black corrosion coating and great pedal feel and braking action. For your location, try to find a corrosion protected rotor and a quality ceramic pad of your choice.

I personally would go Original Equipment from a discounted source (online dealer or local price match).

This is true of nearly everything unless it is:

• A performance upgrade - for example cross drilled slotted rotors / Hawk pads
  • The identical OEM part via an aftermarket distribiton channel - for example Volvo white block water pump with VOLVO ground off or BEHR radiator with MB or BMW emblem obliterated.
  • Addresses a known deficiency in the original design.
  • Is sparkplugs, tires, oil, filters and in some cases batteries and other fluids.

oem akebono is great stuff,
my oem 94 camry went 125 k miles around town before ANY brake work..
my 0em highlander went 84,000 miles then needed front pads .
mechanic put akebono pads and a japanese rotors on the highlander. at 84k.

OK was out of town and found a Napa auto parts store. I picked up a set of their premium rotors and a set of their premium OE ceramic pads. Out the door I paid 105. Not bad, but I can't find any info on the premium pads. My Toyota dealership wanted to install the same rotors and pads for 475 before taxes. I'll give them a try. I want I thought the Napa pads and rotors would be a good match. Any thoughts? I will say it tough to find pads japan made camrys at most parts stores and dealerships.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
akebono I think is japanese owned but made in usa, available lots of places

to me napa =chinese low bid

Yes, NAPA makes a large number of pads in China in India. Some of them make me wonder what I am getting.

I haven't seen a NAPA branded rotor made outside of China. That in mind, practically nobody does except sometimes in dealerships, and European car aftermarket parts. Always check the replacement rotors carefully, some are awful, some are so good that they exceed OEM quality.

Getting Akebono parts for those rotors is great. Even many cars from the USA have Akebono parts from the factory.

OKay, so I picked up rotors and pads at napa, but here is the problem they don't fit. I have replaced my pads before no issues but I did a little research and there are two types of rotors. Japan and USA, there is no information showing the rotors are for either model of camry. The pads are junk all the shims fell off and now I am [censored]. I bought the pads in delaware, but I live in pa. Can I return them to any napa auto parts or do I need to return them to delaware. I order parts from toyota. It will cost me 200 for pads and rotors, but they are for my model of car. Thoughts???

I also noticed that there was is a kit and it is for USA model only not for Japan. I am assuming the rotor is not made for my model. What a waist of time, because it is too tight with the caliper completely closed. Please help, I am really concerned and only want to fix my car. Please advise.

Do you think another napa will return the parts? Or will I have to go back to the original napa to make the return. It looks like napa only carries usa rotors, but they carry the jpn pads. I am going to to toyota tomorrow to pick up the parts. I am so upset, but this is what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back