Castrol Power 10w50 vs 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have been more specific, I was thinking of that Triumph which I much covet, the Tiger Explorer 1215cc. Believe it carries a 10K service interval.

Well apparently then the Castrol does not stand up as well in the parallel twins because the 6k holds for all the cruisers last check. However, my shifting foot tells me its sheared way down by 3k miles.

I seriously wish I could find a 10W50 that was worth more than snot. I need a 10WXX because I ride when it's cold. I need an XXW50 for summer temps. Would be nice to not have to seasonally switch from 10W40 to 15W50. And finally, I'd like to be able to do a 3750 mile interval. Lofty wishes but if you're going to dream, dream big !

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
That is what I am running. Bike likes it better, I just let it warm up a bit more.

I think I will go to the 20w50 after I use my 10w50 I have. I just wondered what the difference is between the SL & SJ thing?

Thanks Doog for pulling the technical specs of the oil from Castrol
wink.gif
To be honest there's not a wide variance between the API specs of SJ/SL. The primary differences occur with the newer SL spec that included the addition of Sequence VE (another cam wear average test), along with Sequence VG (characteristics of oil in different conditions); along with the tightening of some performance criteria. Otherwise, the API SJ/SL designations are very similar in testing methodology and their results.

http://www.aftonchemical.com/Lists/Brochure/Attachments/40/Specification_Handbook.pdf
(pages 28-29)

Besides their API rating, they are apparently rated JASO MA2 and both have passed all of JASO's testing requirements to meet that certification; meaning in theory, they are relatively equal as far as performance. The biggest differentiation between them is their relative viscosities, and that's where I'm very interested in what UOA's or technical information the dealer asserts that the 10W50 will be equal to or more shear stable than the 20W50. The 10W50 will have more viscosity index improvers than the 20W50, and having higher amounts of VII's increases the chance of them being disfigured/elongated (shearing), which in turn can cause the viscosity to either temporarily or permanently shear to a lower grade as has been shown in a wide variety of the UOA's posted here on BITOG.

I'd also run the 20W50 as you suggested, not only because of the shear stability, but also because of the price; especially since a 20W oil will take you down to a 32F startup temp. I think the main reason the 5W40 and 10W50 oil cost as much as they do is simply supply and demand (less of a product, cost goes up) and simply because it's more of a unique viscosity whereas 10W40/20W50 are more common.

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/motor_oil_guide_2010_120210.pdf
(bottom page)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back