Substitute for Motorcraft Gold & Green Coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Ford Focus that calls for Motorcraft Gold Coolant. Also have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid that calls for Motorcraft Green Coolant.

1) Is there a single universal coolant that is up to the task for both vehicles - without any vices? Or am I better off sticking with both Motorcrafts?

2) If there is one, where do you buy it at a good price?

I know that a lot of NAPA's sell Zerex G-05 which is the same as the MC Gold.

See www.valvoline.com for Zerox information. G-05 is sold at NAPA, CarQuest, O'Reilly, PepBoys and possibly others. Zerox G-05 is the ONLY antifreeze/coolant chemistry APPROVED by both Ford and DaimlerChrysler. See the back of the G-05 bottle for a lot more important information.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Best F100
I have a 2004 Ford Focus that calls for Motorcraft Gold Coolant. Also have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid that calls for Motorcraft Green Coolant.

1) Is there a single universal coolant that is up to the task for both vehicles - without any vices? Or am I better off sticking with both Motorcrafts?

2) If there is one, where do you buy it at a good price?

John Deere Cool Gard II

Edit: About $14 a gallon for the full strength at any Deere dealer.

Last edited:
The Ford Green your Fusion calls for is NOT regular green. It is chemically the same as Mazda FL-22. The part number from Ford is VC-10A for a gallon of full strength.

Question:

Is the Peak Global Life 50/50 coolant, a thumbs up, or thumbs down for either, or both vehicles?

It states to be recommended for all vehicles.

Motorcraft Coolant Chart

According to Motorcraft the 2004 came with a green coolant which can be replaced by the Gold Coolant. The Gold is Glysantin G-05 which is or was used in Fords, Mercedes, Chrysler, and a number of others. It is a nitrited low-silicate HOAT. You can also use G-48 which is the same products without the nitrite.

The 2010 calls for Dark Green or Yellow depending on the manufacture date. The Dark Green is an Asian type coolant, an OAT with phosphate and no silicate. It is the same stuff that Mazda uses. Zerex Asian is the same, as is just about any of the current Asian vehicles regardless of color.

The Yellow is Glysantin G-05.

If you want to use one coolant for both, I'd go with the G-05.

Is the Peak Global Life 50/50 coolant, a thumbs up, or thumbs down for either, or both vehicles?

I wouldn't use it. It's a Dexcool clone without a 2EHA plasticizer. You'll get better results from a low-silicate HOAT which deals much better with low coolant levels and is called for by Ford.

Mercedes G05 is blue.

I can't evaluate all tests on coolant test strips designed for Gold because of the dye.

Since both coolant types are readily available not just from the overpriced dealers but also aftermarket, I would stay with whatever OEM coolant the cars came in.

Do the radiator drain and fill every 3-5 years and the cooling systems will be in pristine condition. Today's coolant OCIs are quite long so there is no need to stock coolant. Just get what you need when you need it. I see no reason to convert to one coolant type in this case.

Quote:

...It's a Dexcool clone without a 2EHA plasticizer. ......

By implied definition, a "Dex-Clone" is most similar to GM "Dexcool" because they both contain 2eha as an active ingredient. Imo, calling Peak Global Lifetime a Dexcool clone/Dex-clone is not accurate. A more accurate description imo, is a universal OAT coolant with similar properities, no silicate, no amines, no nitrites, no borates, all of which are also properties of an Asian P-Hoat. But unlike Dexcool/dexclones, non 2eha PGL also makes it the same as both Asian and Euro coolants in that respect. Perhaps sematics, but PGL being a universal OAT minus 2eha seems a better description. So to answer Best's question, I would give PGL a thumbs up 'if' using the same coolant in both is a priority.

To answer the OP's question, he's dealing with G-05 for the 04 Focus. And as bdcardinal pointed out an Asian P-HOAT (Motorcraft Specialty Green) for the 10 Fusion Hybrid. No matter what he chooses, if he wants to run the same coolant in both vehicles there will be some chemistry difference whatever the choice.

There is Peak Global Lifetime which is a Long Life/Extended Life OAT with all the properties of the Asian coolant minus the P, phosphate. Also similar properties to G-05 but has no silicates as opposed to low silicates. G-05 is another Long Life/Extended Life option, but as mentioned it contains silicates (low) as opposed to none in an Asian coolant. And then there is full strength Motorcraft Specialty Green P Hoat that could be used in both. But last I checked at local Ford dealers, MSG had gotten pricey even for full strength.

I wouldn't use peak 50/50 you'll need a Distilled water flush to get all of your old coolant out before mixing a full strength coolant in to get a 50/50 ratio.

Might as well go with g05 concentrate and get everything out with water first through several drain and fills.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

...It's a Dexcool clone without a 2EHA plasticizer. ......

By implied definition, a "Dex-Clone" is most similar to GM "Dexcool" because they both contain 2eha as an active ingredient. Imo, calling Peak Global Lifetime a Dexcool clone/Dex-clone is not accurate. A more accurate description imo, is a universal OAT coolant with similar properities, no silicate, no amines, no nitrites, no borates, all of which are also properties of an Asian P-Hoat. But unlike Dexcool/dexclones, non 2eha PGL also makes it the same as both Asian and Euro coolants in that respect. Perhaps sematics, but PGL being a universal OAT minus 2eha seems a better description. So to answer Best's question, I would give PGL a thumbs up 'if' using the same coolant in both is a priority.

To answer the OP's question, he's dealing with G-05 for the 04 Focus. And as bdcardinal pointed out an Asian P-HOAT (Motorcraft Specialty Green) for the 10 Fusion Hybrid. No matter what he chooses, if he wants to run the same coolant in both vehicles there will be some chemistry difference whatever the choice.

There is Peak Global Lifetime which is a Long Life/Extended Life OAT with all the properties of the Asian coolant minus the P, phosphate. Also similar properties to G-05 but has no silicates as opposed to low silicates. G-05 is another Long Life/Extended Life option, but as mentioned it contains silicates (low) as opposed to none in an Asian coolant. And then there is full strength Motorcraft Specialty Green P Hoat that could be used in both. But last I checked at local Ford dealers, MSG had gotten pricey even for full strength.

Yes. Valvoline (Zerex) is telling me the same thing: To use their same G-05 in both vehicles. However, if there is some chemistry differences, as you are saying (especially in the "10 Fusion Hybrid), can I expect any drawbacks in a real world application? I already have almost 100,000 miles on the original coolant on the Fusion. My first change interval (at 100,000 miles) is supposed to last until 150,000 miles.

Thanks for all the information guys.

However, if there is some chemistry differences, as you are saying (especially in the "10 Fusion Hybrid), can I expect any drawbacks in a real world application?

Not really.

The only downside to the G-05 is lasts just a trifle less than an Asian OAT. It handles American hard water better than the Asian OAT, protects the cooling system faster, and is more tolerant of low coolant levels.

By implied definition, a "Dex-Clone" is most similar to GM "Dexcool" because they both contain 2eha as an active ingredient. Imo, calling Peak Global Lifetime a Dexcool clone/Dex-clone is not accurate.

That's the wonderful thing - everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Peak Global Lifetime has the same profile as Dexcool except it substitutes denatonium benzoate and a light dose of hydrated inorganic acid and and organic acid salts for
potassium 2-ethylhexanoate (2EHA). Look up the MSDS for both.

Peak recommends its use for cars factory-filled with Dexcool. "Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free. Can be used to top-off any color of automotive antifreeze."

If it was identical, it wouldn't be a Dexcool clone, it would be Dexcool.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
...If it was identical, it wouldn't be a Dexcool clone, it would be Dexcool.

No, if it was a universal OAT containing '2eha 'like Peak Long Life and Prestone AM/M but without the specific 2eha GM DexCool spec, then it would be a DexClone. But if you choose to describe any universal OAT whether it contains 2eha or not, as a dexclone, then that is your opinion. One that I've never before seen advanced on this board. But as you say everyone is entitled to an opinion.

And as for G-05 handling America hard water better that an Asian P HOAT, really a moot point as the Asian manufacturers generally recommend as best practice using distilled/deionized water their OEM AF's which wouldn't have phosphates in them anyway. As documented in many articles on coolant the reason G-05 doesn't like/use P like the Asians is out of concern for the hard water profile in Europe where it is a primary AF. But, I'm sure you knew that.

And actually, G-05 is being steadily phased out as an OEM AF including both Ford and Chrysler. In Ford's case in favor of a 2eha DexCool formula, similar to GM. In Chrysler's case they are moving to a full OAT non 2eha formula, making it similar to Peak Global Lifetime and having the same properties profile. And as link below confirms it's not being referred to as a Dexclone because it contains no 2eha as the true Dex's do. So at least as far as the US based OEM AF are concerned, G-05 is on the decline.
Chrysler switches to OAT antifeeze for longer service interval.

I would use peak global lifetime in both and call it a day.

I'm not a fan of G-05. Every Ford Ive seen factory filled with G-05 has had major amounts of silicate drop out in the degas bottle.

No, if it was a universal OAT containing '2eha'like Peak Long Life and Prestone AM/M but without the specific 2eha GM DexCool spec, then it would be a DexClone. But if you choose to describe any universal OAT whether it contains 2eha or not, as a dexclone, then that is your opinion. One that I've never before seen advanced on this board. But as you say everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Indeed you are.

Anything else on your mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back