Milestar Tires - any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine will be needing tires soon for their Ford Fusion. I've found that I can get a Milestar tire MS932 model for just $85/tire. I've researched this model and Milestar offers a 50,000 mile tread warranty, similar to the $140+ Michelins, Dunlops that are available for the same tire size.

Anybody here have any recent experience with milestar tires?

The tread patter for this model looks a lot like my Cooper CS4 tires, and those are great tires - very comfortable and grippy in wet conditions and mine came with a 45k mile tread warranty. However, even the cooper CS4 are more expensive than this brand.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.milestartire.com/tires/ms932

Look at them in person before committing. I've seen some nasty chinese tires with obvious mold lines and the tread doesn't even line up with itself.

Something about the tread pattern doesn't sit right with me; seems like after just a little wear it won't look cool anymore.

If said person is rolling around on completely bald tires, then these may be an improvement.

Check out discounttiredirect or treaddepot - you can get cheap Cooper or Starfire (cooper brand) for a pretty cheap price.

Thanks for the replies. I should have checked amazon. The tire size in question is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Milestar-MS932-205...howViewpoints=1

I'm gauging that, according to those reviews, these tires might be the real deal, but time will tell. The person I would get the milestar tire is from an actual shop - not from a site like tirerack and then pay a shop for installation. So, all warranty issues, if any, will be done thru a tire shop.

Sometimes there is no way to avoid Chinese items, but for some things like food, jack stands, steering components, bearings and tires, I just can't make myself buy them.

If you go on Tire Rack you will find something not made in China that should fit your budget. Mexican-made General Atimax are a step up IMHO. Tire Rack shows the country of origin for each size on a brand.

There may be a reason the tread pattern looks like the Cooper...

Originally Posted By: accent2012
A friend of mine will be needing tires soon for their Ford Fusion. I've found that I can get a Milestar tire MS932 model for just $85/tire. I've researched this model and Milestar offers a 50,000 mile tread warranty, similar to the $140+ Michelins, Dunlops that are available for the same tire size.

The tread patter for this model looks a lot like my Cooper CS4 tires, and those are great tires - very comfortable and grippy in wet conditions and mine came with a 45k mile tread warranty. However, even the cooper CS4 are more expensive than this brand.

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Sometimes there is no way to avoid Chinese items, but for some things like food, jack stands, steering components, bearings and tires, I just can't make myself buy them.

If you go on Tire Rack you will find something not made in China that should fit your budget. Mexican-made General Atimax are a step up IMHO. Tire Rack shows the country of origin for each size on a brand.

There may be a reason the tread pattern looks like the Cooper...

Thanks in advance!

For some reason I kept thinking they made hubs.

That is mile marker

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Milestar is made by Nankang tires....so, if you're willing to try a chinese made tire... give it a try

I think Nankang is actually Korean.

Milestar is made by Nankang Rubber Tire, a Taiwanese company dating back to 1940.

They have two Taiwanese plants, one each in Nankang and Hsinfung, and in 2003 began production in Jiangsu in mainland China.

They have Ford Motor Company's Q1 Certification and iISO-9001 certification.

Nankang Tyre

Thanks in advance!

One set run( current )so I only have a limited sample of personal experience with them to relay for you FWIW. Tires were bought in Feb 2011 for my Sister's 2005 Chevy Impala...

Milestar 225/60R16( H speed rating ) Model M665 touring tire.

http://www.milestartire.com/tires/m665

My Sister needed a set of cheap tires for the car so she asked me what to do. I always help her when it comes to car repairs as she doesn't know anything about that. I don't need to go into details but she was forced into this 2005 Impala by her loser daughter. There was so much wrong with it( like needing a trans rebuild )when she got it that had to be fixed I just couldn't see putting top of the line tires on.

I took her to the tire store planning on some Mastercraft tires. Usually a decent tire for an affordable cost. I certainly wasn't going to have her pay top $$ for Michelins, BFG's, etc... Unfortunately, the Mastercrafts were way too $$$ however. After some discussion with the tire guy Milestar came up.

I was very dubious as I had never heard of them at all. However, they were only $90 each which was well below anything else they had in her size and she really needed tires right then as the ones on the car were as bald as Mr. Clean. The tread pattern looked good which is important here due to the snow we get. They had a 400AA UTQG and a 40K warranty. Not great but not the worst I have seen either. The plan was to only keep the car for a year to a year and a half max which would at most mean about 5000 miles of driving for my Sister. The tires would be good enough for that I figured. So we got them.

As I turns out she still has the car here some 3 years later. Things didn't work out as we had planned( does it ever ). She has put a hair over 10,000 on the car since the tires were put on and we are now in the middle of winter #3 with the tires. I drive the car a lot( my Sister doesn't like to drive due to her disability so she has me as much as she can )so I have seen how they have performed.

I have to say they have been an excellent tire. The are wearing very well, the ride is decent, they are not noisy at all, and the most pleasant surprise is how well they do in the snow. I have to be honest and say despite being a cheap off brand made in China( or Taiwan or Korea or wherever the heck they are made )they seem to be a really good tire. I can't say I would put them on a really nice car or run them if I could afford better. However, if I needed a budget tire I could depend on or I had an old beater I needed to get some tires on I would not hesitate to try another set.

Hope this helps you out. Again, it is just one experience with them but so far it has been a very good one.

I just picked up a set of Milestar MS932 Sports for my 330XI off DTD. A little over $300 OTD after having my indy mount and balance them.

Construction is good, on par with a lot of the passenger class tires I've had before(Bridgestone, Goodyear etc.). Tread looks good. Overall a well made tire.

They're quiet compared to my nearly bald ContiProContacts and handle much better(my rear end would break loose with those tires). These Milestars are great. I don't race or push the limits, so I wouldn't know if there is any "sport" in these tires like it says on the sidewall. Have not driven in heavy rain or snow yet.

Took it on a 500 mile trip the other day and I have no complaints. Will be buying these for my Accord next year once the Yokohamas wear out.

If its considered a low end tire to the nankang tires... Watch out...lol.. Milestar has consistently ranked in the bottom of reviews unless there are new ones available..

Just bought a pair of Milestar ms932 sport's for my brothers 2011 vw jetta. They are made in china. Had good reviews online. Can't beat the price. We'll see how they are. This is the first time anyone that I know is using Milestar's. Besides the price, what's also really attractive is the 50k warranty. On my town car, I have Goodyear Integrity's which is the most basic tire in Goodyear's lineup. I can't imagine them being of worse quality than that, assuming by the reviews that I've read on these.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread that was recently bumped, but I want to clarify one thing that people are repeating in this thread.

Maybe Nankang makes some or all of them, but Milestar is a private label brand actually owned by the tire distributing company Tireco.

Tireco also is the U.S. distributor of Nankang tires, but that doesn't guarantee you'll always be getting a Nankang-made tire if you buy a Milestar.

http://www.milestartire.com/assets/milestar_press_release.pdf
Quote:
TIRECO, Inc. is a national, private brand marketing and distribution company that exclusively owns and distributes the
MILESTAR, GEOSTAR, GEOTRAC, NANCO, and TRACGARD brands, and is also the exclusive distributor for the
NANKANG and WESTLAKE brands. Founded in 1972, TIRECO has become an industry leader in imported tire and
wheel products ranging from consumer and commercial to specialty and custom wheels. Headquartered in Gardena,
CA, TIRECO has an extensive network of national dealer/distributors and operates one of the country’s largest tire
warehousing facilities in Fontana, CA. For more information, please visit TIRECO’s website at www.tireco.com.

UPDATE-
To add to my above post, I just looked up some Milestar tires on ebay and the ones I looked at aren't made by Nankang. The DOT number prefix, JE, indicates they were made in China at the SHANDONG YONGSHENG RUBBER CO., LTD. factory.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-MILESTAR-GRANDLAND-LT215-85-16-215-85-16-LT215-85R16-TIRE-AP623-5-6-32-/172174610982?hash=item2816681226:g:18EAAOSw~oFXF9Um&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milestar-Sport-MS932-215-50-R17-215-50-17-Used-Tire-7-75-8-0-32nd-/322078469533?hash=item4afd5f6d9d:g:BLYAAOSwKfVXFCHN&vxp=mtr

To add a little more, I looked at quite a few more on ebay and saw lots of JE DOT codes, but there are some others.

This tire has a DOT code of U8, which indicates it was made by Nankang at their HSINCHU, Taiwan factory:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milestar-MS932-Sport-235-50-R18-235-50-18-Used-Tire-8-0-9-0-32nd-/322084144318?hash=item4afdb604be:g:a9cAAOSwYmZXGqwq&vxp=mtr

This one has the code JU, which indicates HANGZHOU ZHONGCE RUBBER CO., LTD. HANGZHOU, ZHEJIANG, CHINA. That appears to be the same tire company that makes West Lake tires that Tireco also sells:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-MILESTAR-TOURING-SE-235-60-16-TIRE-A0266-/131567506043?hash=item1ea208d27b:g:~2gAAOSwjVVVujiw&vxp=mtr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back