What bike (s) do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr. She's been a few places.... UT, AR, TX, CO. She moved from east texas to Crested Butte, CO with me. And, came out unscathed in my worst wreck; waited patiently for me to wake up, and got me back home.

1995 Trek 950 MTB.

I haven't ridden it in years, but I want to get back into riding. I'm looking for good tubes and tires that I can run on pavement, and the occasional dirt trail. 26" wheels.

Any recommendations?

Originally Posted By: 02SE
1995 Trek 950 MTB.

I haven't ridden it in years, but I want to get back into riding. I'm looking for good tubes and tires that I can run on pavement, and the occasional dirt trail. 26" wheels.

Any recommendations?
Schwalbe.

1995 Trek 950 MTB.

Any recommendations?

I have an early '90s mountain bike that I've got set up for road/touring use. I replaced the triple front chain ring with a 42/53 Shimano 105 double and have a Dura Ace front derailleur from a friend's parts bin. Works like a champ! I run Michelin City tires on it, in 35-559 size (26x1.4"). These are the exact ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Protek-Reflective-Sidewalls-26x1-4/dp/B001CSRX18

I've actually got the exact same setup as the first reviewer; I'm using these on an old mountain bike with 26x1.5 Araya rims. These will be ideal if you are looking at mostly pavement. If you are looking at more of a mix, I've used the Bontrager LT3s before and enjoyed those. They don't offer a solid center rib, and understandably feel a little more squirrely in corners.

Both of these tires are reasonably priced and offer good performance.

Having been out of the Bike scene for so long, I really had no idea what's available. Without knowing any better, I probably would've ended up with some dirt-specific tire.

I appreciate the advice, and I'll check out the suggestions.

Last edited:
Looking at bikes again since I miss riding a bike for my commute.. what a great way to de-stress. Right now this all I have but really need to get a better built bike.. but hey the bikes I have were either cheap or free with a single income no choice in the matter.

Huffy Tiempo .. ugly, old and heavy but with skinny tires not a bad mover.
DBX MTB .. Perhaps the best built bike.. heavy with 24" tires
Murray MTB .. yeah it's junk.. use it to haul the kids around campgrounds.

Having been out of the Bike scene for so long, I really had no idea what's available. Without knowing any better, I probably would've ended up with some dirt-specific tire.

I appreciate the advice, and I'll check out the suggestions.

I have been using Schwalbe Marathon since 2001 and I forget about leaks. They rolls good too and have grip in dry and wet weather. Last years Schwalbe moves strongly in US too. I don´t know how much do they cost. In europe you can find them between 17..22 euro

Last edited:
While I like Michelin tires for my car, the bicycle tires from Michelin is lagging behind competition nowadays. Schwalbe Vittoria and Continental are leaders., Kenda is OK too. Some small manufactures offer very good specific tires.
The modern bicycle tires are expensive and high-tech, e.g. Kevlar,Vectran, dual triple synthetic compounds .They are almost puncture free, rolls easy comfortable and some of them lasts 20 000.

Vittorias (the 290+ TPI models) have always been the most responsive/best rolling road tires for me, only beaten by the old, now defunct, Clement Seta and Seta Extra, latex tubed sew-ups.
wink.gif

I have a Mondia Super,made around 1973. It's ALL Campy Nuovo Record.Brakes,hubs,pedals,rims,BB,crank,gears,seat post,dropouts,headset.Cinelli handlebars and neck.Ahhh,the old classic bikes!!!!

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I have a Mondia Super,made around 1973. It's ALL Campy Nuovo Record.Brakes,hubs,pedals,rims,BB,crank,gears,seat post,dropouts,headset.Cinelli handlebars and neck.Ahhh,the old classic bikes!!!!

Columbus SL, or ?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: daves66nova

Columbus SL, or ?
Columbus tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back