Wife Wants New Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Phishin
The reason I'm reluctant to give her the Accord is that it will be destroyed with door dings and the inside will be filty from the kids in 3-4 months. It will drive me nuts and we'll fight about it all the time.

The reason I want her to buy her own car is two fold:

1.) 2013 was the first time in her life she's worked a real job and now has a decent career path. Everything until this point has been given to her (she's not spoiled, but never worked either). She has never had to support herself. So, I want her to make some car payments, have some pride in her vehicle, and have the same experience we've all had....finding how that vehicle payments aren't cool and taking pride in your car because you work hard to earn the money to keep it on the road (keep it clean and ding free).

2.) Having her own car will boost her self-esteem in that she did this all on her own. It's hers. She did it.

Since it's her car....if the interior is stained, dirty and coffee smeared everywhere, fine. If the side of it is full of door dings....I don't care. It's her car.

I paid hard cash for my Honda. I wanted a nice car that I could use for road trips/longer drives, which I need quite often. Something my old truck isn't good for.

That makes the picture clearer.

Although currently beyond your prescribed budget, like someone else mentioned, the new Accord looks to be a winner.

In any event, look forward to what your wife chooses, with your guidance.

The Foresters are looking pretty darn good....I never checked them out before until now. More room than the standard Impreza, other small hatches like the Fit, MX3 Hatch, Hyundai Elantra Touring, etc.

We are headed to Fort Wayne on Saturday to test drive and crawl through a few. See what she likes.

I guess I'll toss another ring onto the "get a CR-V" stick. I've daily driven many vehicles, and the CR-V has been my favorite by far. It's got excellent tires on it and handles very well. It has the RT4WD system which is quite responsive in the snow. We played around a lot in it yesterday and had quite a good time. The size is perfect for us, as a younger family of four (our kids are 8 and 5). I also, as an owner, really appreciate how easy Hondas are to own and to maintain. All fluid sumps have easy-to-access drain bolts. The transmission and engine both have dipsticks. The under-hood isn't covered by large plastic trays. Suspension components and drivetrain components are proven and simple. They're just really easy and enjoyable to own. You probably already know this, having already purchased a Honda. I also like standarizing on fluids and filters in the garage. Our two cars both take the same engine oil/filter and transmission fluid.

The other brand I personally like these days is Subaru. I haven't looked a ton at the Forester, but I do like the Outbacks. If our CR-V were totalled tomorrow, I'd either buy another one to replace it or I'd be looking at Subarus.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If our CR-V were totalled tomorrow, I'd either buy another one to replace it or I'd be looking at Subarus.

I went the other way. Our 2011 Outback was totaled last spring. I loved the Subaru and would have bought another Outback to replace it. My wife wasn't as excited about it and liked the CR-V better.

After having driven the Honda for almost a year,I really like it,but would still take an Outback over the CR-V.

The reason I'm reluctant to give her the Accord is that it will be destroyed with door dings and the inside will be filty from the kids in 3-4 months. It will drive me nuts and we'll fight about it all the time.

The reason I want her to buy her own car is two fold:

1.) 2013 was the first time in her life she's worked a real job and now has a decent career path. Everything until this point has been given to her (she's not spoiled, but never worked either). She has never had to support herself. So, I want her to make some car payments, have some pride in her vehicle, and have the same experience we've all had....finding how that vehicle payments aren't cool and taking pride in your car because you work hard to earn the money to keep it on the road (keep it clean and ding free).

2.) Having her own car will boost her self-esteem in that she did this all on her own. It's hers. She did it.

Since it's her car....if the interior is stained, dirty and coffee smeared everywhere, fine. If the side of it is full of door dings....I don't care. It's her car.

I paid hard cash for my Honda. I wanted a nice car that I could use for road trips/longer drives, which I need quite often. Something my old truck isn't good for.

In that case why don't you let her take a look and decide for herself, and come back here to ask for reliability question?

One thing I learn in a marriage is it is hard to just throw wife an answer and much easier to "lead" her through the process and let her come to the same conclusion as you have (or the other way around it could convince you that her decision is good).

I'm a purist so I'm not too fond of it, but my wife really wanted one so I bought her a 2013 and she really loves it. This might suit her: LINK.

So far, she really loves the Subaru Outback. It has the most room...cause the kids aren't getting any smaller.

She is in love with the Outback. More than the Impreza or Forester. She even likes it better than the Honda CRV.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
$3k high easily. Its an '05! But that's just my opinion.

Verbage in ad sounds like a dealer. Most dealers are high by that amount. With some good negotiation I'd knock that price down quick if they want to sell it. Funny I saw this picture earlier: [img:right]http://[/img]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
$3k high easily. Its an '05! But that's just my opinion.

On KBB, they have the car listed at $13,700 private party and $16,100 from a dealer. This is using their "Good" Condition rating...which is below "Excellent" and "Very Good".

The car is listed in the ad at $11,500

It's been awhile since I've purchased a car and looked at KBB. Is KBB always so much higher than reality? If you see these KBB numbers above, is $11,000 a good price for the car? Or should I really walk away if I can't buy it for $9000?

I don't know who pays over $11k for a 9 year old car with almost 100k on it, but it sure isn't going to be me.

IMO it's even more insane to finance a vehicle like that, I know I wouldn't be making payments on a car that old.

I'd buy a new stripper Cruze, Soul or 200 if money was that tight.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I don't know who pays over $11k for a 9 year old car with almost 100k on it, but it sure isn't going to be me.

IMO it's even more insane to finance a vehicle like that, I know I wouldn't be making payments on a car that old.

I'd buy a new stripper Cruze, Soul or 200 if money was that tight.

I'd have to agree with that. You may as well (and be better off) putting the money you would be spending on 100K maintenance (timing belts, etc) on a newer car with fewer miles or as mentioned, look at a cheaper new car with favorable financing rates.

I'm not totally up on Subarus, but if I am not mistaken thats an H6 and the LL Bean was absolute top of the line...

It doesn't seem like a bad deal to me if its solid...

It is a dealer...

It looks very clean and the tires are recent Bridgestone Turanzas, so you can figure they didn't put junk parts on the car if it needed repair. I'd try to buy it for under $10,000.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Funny I saw this picture earlier: [img:right]http://[/img]

Don't worry, it's a Subaru. The AWD system will pull them out of that.
wink.gif

The seller attempted to use "Deerfield IL" as a selling point.

I live 5 miles from there. Yes it's a nicer neighborhood however it just means that car has seen almost 10 winters, salt, terrible roads, and soccer moms.

Looking at this tonight.... Whatv you guys think?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ctd/4307649337.html

That is the very loaded Outback with the nice H6. Worth a try maybe you could get for $10k if she is satisfied after a elongated test drive.

My wife absolutely loves her related sportier version in the 2005 Legacy wagon with 250HP turbo motor and manual transmission. We have 165,000 miles on hers and is hoping for another 100k miles at least. Besides the hoot of an engine/transmission it works really well with our 6 & 8 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back