Mazda 3 - 2.0L vs 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 07 3 with the 2.5L has been a great car. We have about 90k miles on it. Runs great.

What are your thoughts on the power differences between the 2.0L and 2.5L in the hatchback?

The 2014 3 with the 2.0L and 6spd MT will get 40 mpg. That's a very attractive number. This car will be one of my next choices along with the new WRX.

You can get a well equipped 3 with the 2.0L for about $19k.

And there's the problem (last sentence). To get the 2.5L you have to spend at least $24.5k. Would be nice if the 2.5L was a stand alone option in any trim.

Correction: The '04-'09 were either 2.0L or 2.3L. The 2.5L didn't appear until the 2010 redesign
smile.gif

Aside from the price difference, I'd lean toward the 2.5. I haven't driven either new engine though. The 3 is a nice driving car and personally I'd rather have a little extra power for a marginal fuel economy decrease rather than the reverse.

My wife's car is an 08, but we have the 2.3 and have not regretted getting the bigger engine for an instant.

My brother has a 2012 MZ3 hatch with the 2.0 Skyactiv engine. It's a peppy car. The thing he doesn't much care for is that it doesn't beat its EPA fuel economy figures by that much.

He purchased his wife a 2013 CX-5 with the 2.5l engine, and no complaints about the engine in that vehicle. Again, it's no EPA-slayer.

The 2.5L Skyactiv engine is new in the Mazda3 for 2014. It is the engine used in the newest Mazda6. If I'm not mistaken it has about 30HP more than the "base" 2.0L. I find mine to have more than enough power given the fact that the majority of drivers around here are scared of their own horsepower. I get 34-35mpg all day long in combined driving. All that on regular 87 octane, BTW.

I would not spend the extra money for power that would just frustrate me due to inability to use it.

Mazda 3 is all about the 2.0 and the MPG. 2.5 is just too much money. Even the 2.0 3 with cruise control is kindof spendy.

Ultimately we bought an accord sport 6MT instead for about 11% more money. Well worth it for the interior space and power.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the new 3 as research for my brother who will soon be replacing his 03 protégé (with 2.0 engine) with 220k miles. As others have mentioned, the 2.5 is only available on the highest trim levels for a price significantly more than the 19k you mentioned for a well equipped 2.0.

Mazda has started production of the 3 in Mexico. The 3's on dealer lots now are Made In Japan, but all 3's available in the US will eventually be imported from Mexico.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
My wife's 07 3 with the 2.5L has been a great car. We have about 90k miles on it. Runs great.

What are your thoughts on the power differences between the 2.0L and 2.5L in the hatchback?

The 2014 3 with the 2.0L and 6spd MT will get 40 mpg. That's a very attractive number. This car will be one of my next choices along with the new WRX.

You can get a well equipped 3 with the 2.0L for about $19k.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Correction: The '04-'09 were either 2.0L or 2.3L. The 2.5L didn't appear until the 2010 redesign
smile.gif

In 2012 there were TWO choices of 2.0L engine. Only one is "Skyactiv" and gets 40mpg. The other is the older "MZR" (IIRC) design that does not get impressive fuel economy.

The 2.0L Skyactiv has only been offered since 2012 and the 2.5L has only been an option since this latest iteration of the model.

I had a late 80's 626. 2.0 -8 Valve but with FI.
I regularly got 40 mpg highway. It weighed about 2500 lbs.

Originally Posted By: datech
I had a late 80's 626. 2.0 -8 Valve but with FI.
I regularly got 40 mpg highway. It weighed about 2500 lbs.

My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 weighs @3100 lbs. and averages @27-28 mpg. Not bad for a DD with 287 bhp. It's certainly no rocket ship, but it makes a dandy commuter.

I really like the new 3, but I'm holding out for a Mazdaspeed version(fingers crossed).

All of the 2.0 Mazda3i's I have driven have been at least as good as any 1.8 Civic or Corolla or 2.0 Hyundai/Kia or Focus.

People never really bought piston engined Mazdas for their acceleration. Or even really fuel economy. Traditionally they were selected for suspension, steering, and overall balance.

The Mazda2 is a good example of that. It is structurally the same car as the Ford Fiesta. The Fiesta makes more hp and gets a mpg or two more, but the Mazda2 is more fun to drive.

Having SkyActiv fuel economy in the Mazda3 is just icing on the cake.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

IMO, SkyActiv fixed the deficiency in Mazda's package to make it first class overall.

Now the only problem left (although not unique to Mazda) is their dealers.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

IMO, SkyActiv fixed the deficiency in Mazda's package to make it first class overall.

frown.gif

And hopefully they've fixed their rust problems. Up here in Rochester, just about every Mazda 3 I see is notably more rusty than other cars of a similar age.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

frown.gif

And hopefully they've fixed their rust problems. Up here in Rochester, just about every Mazda 3 I see is notably more rusty than other cars of a similar age.

here in KC, the honda civics and toyota corollas are massive rust buckets. Maybe they'll catch up in quality Mazda some day.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

here in KC, the honda civics and toyota corollas are massive rust buckets. Maybe they'll catch up in quality Mazda some day.

If you look back to the 90s, then yeah, that's about the same story here. The mid 2000s Civics and Corollas don't seem to rust too badly. The Mazdas are definitely a bit worse, mostly over the rear wheel arches and on the trunks around the badge.

frown.gif

Here in Colorado, Mazda's don't have rust.
It's all a matter of where you live.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back