Using a smaller filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bucked the trend of using a larger oil filter and instead used a smaller oil filter.
24.gif

The filter on the Taurus is behind the manifold on the engine and is harder than heck to get my hand down in there. Today I was getting ready to change my oil and I know this is going to be a shorter OCI due to oil pan gasket change, so I did not want to waste a FU, so I knew a FL-910s is almost identical to the FL-400s except that the 910s is shorter. Well it went on just fine and purred like a kitten when I fired it up. I might use the FL910S and equivalents on the Taurus in the future just because its a lot easier to get a hand on it and fit it in the tight spaces. I don't see any harm in using the smaller filter since I know I don't have a sludger on my hands.

35.gif

The oil filter placement on a Taurus does suck. I have an older friend that had one. I can count the burns I got changing his oil for him.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
The oil filter placement on a Taurus does suck. I have an older friend that had one. I can count the burns I got changing his oil for him.

Which is why I change the oil in it lukewarm. It's positioning rustproofs the starter and oxygen sensor's nicely.
On using a smaller filter
watch-out-guys.jpg

GM-H did that in the 80s.

The six always had a filter of about the size of the full size Ford deal, and it had a LOT of lifter clatter as the system primed up in the morning.

When they started making more upmarket models (probably realised that the clatter wasn't desirable in the 80s anyway), they reduced the size of the filter by over half...it really did reduce the period of clatter greatly.

For those who are worried about the fraction of an instant that oil isn't flowing out the valvetrain, a small filter, changed regularly is certainly something that they would want to consider.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough

Which is why I change the oil in it lukewarm. It's positioning rustproofs the starter and oxygen sensor's nicely.
On using a smaller filter
watch-out-guys.jpg

lmao. Nice

I like changing it hot just because that's how I was taught. I wear some thin knit gloves that give me a little protection.

I have no problem using a full length filter on my Vulcan like a Puro 20195 or the original longer FL400s. I simply reach down from above when the header isn't hot and you are going to spill some on the starter, but it has never been hard for me to change other than the spilling.

uhm change it cold, or be a man and grow some hair under your armpits. and stop crying. I have no issues with mine even when hot..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flareside302
uhm change it cold, or be a man and grow some hair under your armpits. and stop crying. I have no issues with mine even when hot..

You obviously did not read the real reason why I chose to use the filter in the first place, ie not wasting an expensive filer on a short oci, you arrogant douche.

Originally Posted By: volk06
... I don't see any harm in using the smaller filter since I know I don't have a sludger on my hands.

Many lower tier, quick lube and jobber filters have consolidated and downsized to a smaller or smallest size that will fit the application. So not that unusual now for smaller filters to be used thses days.

But as with upsizing, in the 'very rare' chance that something would happen caused by that diy filter application, the filter warranty would not be in effect. Imo, a minor consideration but one that should be noted.

I have experimented with a legion of filters on my Jeep, and have never been able to correlate size having anything to do with performance, just appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back