Cell phone/driving: an officer's view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Intrusion in the name of safety, Intrusion in name of the children. Regardless its all Intrusion. I think I will keep my rights as many and as long as possible.

So basically, you're part of the do nothing crowd? Nothing should be done at all if it inconveniences anyone, even if it would make the roads safer?

Originally Posted By: 97f150
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Motorcycling only endangers the rider, unlike cell phoning and driving...

Guess you have never seen a motorcycle go thru an auto windshield.

You guys are really reaching for things to support your views...and looking quite foolish in the process...I don't think motorcyclists going through people's windshields is quite the epidemic that distracted driving is...

Key phrase is "distracted driving", not specifically cell phone use. Do you even know what a cell phone is?

Cell phone use is by far the most distracting, and the most widely common distraction there is...do YOU know what a cell phone is?

So Whip and TiredTrucker, since you don't like my ideas, what do you suggest?

We might not be able to get cell phone jammers into vehicles, but I have a proxy policy. I see a cell phone in the hands of an employee during work hours, I fire him on the spot.

They aren't facing an emergency or doing anything useful towards their duties. They're playing on Facebook or texting friends or playing a game. Obviously, they don't have enough free time to get that stuff done, so I oblige them and provide them with an extra 30 or 40 hours per week of free time.

And that is realistic and proper. You can make the regulations on how people do things in the work place. Some trucking companies have similar policies in place. People can abide or not, and deal with it. A trucking company that I do business with has a policy that, if the truck is moving, no calls to or from the carrier by any of it's trucks. And they have qualcomm units in all the trucks, so they can tell if the truck is moving or stationary. They pay the bills, they get to decide.

The real problem I have with cell phone use in vehicles is that the emergency "excuse" is just that. A suspect that 99.9% of cell phone use in vehicles has nothing to do with emergencies.

If I had fifteen cents for every text sent out from a moving vehicle in North America, I'd be as rich as, well, a telecom.

It's pretty simple. There are already laws in place to address this. Enforce them, and hold people responsible for their actions. We don't need new laws or devices.

Cell use while driving is distracted driving, agreed. Kids in the vehicle is 12 times more so, according to a recent Australian study.

For Teens and many other like minded individuals, it would require being made fun of by their peers by using a cell phone while driving before they would ever deign to modify their behavior.

Unfortunately breaking the law is "cool" and nobody can tell a teenager anything, because they already know everything and being seen as being "cool" is paramount in such a world.

These people then get older and become politicians, perhaps socialites, if they have a real high opinion of themselves.

That is if they can make it that far. Many will walk like a cell phone Zombie directly into traffic.

Originally Posted By: whip

It's pretty simple. There are already laws in place to address this. Enforce them, and hold people responsible for their actions. We don't need new laws or devices.

Enforce the laws? What a joke! That's not gonna happen...the highways today have become a free-for-all because law enforcement is basically non-existent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back