Sludgy Chrysler 2.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I pulled the valve covers on my 176K mile Chrysler 2.7 to attempt to fix some leaks and possibly find a misfire code.

Sludgy. Also see the shoe on the cam to cam chain tensioner is askew. There is a Stopblock on the main chain so someone has been in there in the past.
The misfire is a leaky exhaust valve. Since the day I got this car the oil pressure has been low plus it's rattly upon startup. I really like the car so I may toss a motor in it and give it a better diet of oil.
Link to album with more pictures.
Link to last UOA.

no surprise that there is sludge in a 2.7 and there are timing chain tensioner issues - as you know. if you are energetic, why not replace it with a 3.2? oh wait - that would fit in an LH, not sure on something smaller....

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
no surprise that there is sludge in a 2.7 and there are timing chain tensioner issues - as you know. if you are energetic, why not replace it with a 3.2? oh wait - that would fit in an LH, not sure on something smaller....

Gentleman who dropped a 3.5 in his..

Now I put a 3.0 from an 01 Eclipse in my 97. Man that was a great car, too bad it grenaded the trans....

I'd love to do the 3.5 but too many constraints to try that at this time.

It doesn't look that bad for the miles. More varnish and cooked gunk then actual sludge,to me anyways.
I'd try something like sea foam or mmo for a short interval and see what comes of it.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Actually doesn't look that bad compared to really bad sludged up ones we've seen.

Agreed, that one is almost pretty...

Originally Posted By: mclasser
It's amazing a 2.7 even made it to 176K miles.

Does my field intrepid with 203k amaze you even more?

I rev the [censored] outta it
frown.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...MQe6zG4f7w#t=44

Gotta be careful when discussing one of the many mistakes Chrysler has made in the past. There are a lot of folks on here who deny Chrysler has ever done a single thing wrong or made a single bad product.

Is the internal water pump leaking? May be worth taking a look at that.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Gotta be careful when discussing one of the many mistakes Chrysler has made in the past. There are a lot of folks on here who deny Chrysler has ever done a single thing wrong or made a single bad product.

Never ever would chrysler make a bad product!
thumbsup2.gif

I don't think so but I'll be looking at the weep passage while I'm under there. It hasn't lost any coolant lately.

Originally Posted By: 74DartSport

I don't think so but I'll be looking at the weep passage while I'm under there. It hasn't lost any coolant lately.

Sometimes the weep passage may get dirty, and then the coolant stays in the V of the engine.

I remember doing a water pump replacement on a Chrysler Sebring 2.7. For 3 weeks, I couldn't look at another Chrysler Sebring without having bad memories haunt me.

The oil pump screen may need cleaning? Maybe. I had one of these 2.7 sludge monsters. Ran full synthetic for 3000 mile oil changes. I did not think the OCI was too short. It came out dirty at 3000 miles. Usually PP.
I thought about keeping the car which I really liked. I thought why bother with the water pump etc so I was actually looking for a 3.2 or 3.5 when a friend pestered me to sell it.

Last edited:
The carbon residue looks like what was trapped in my 2000 Concorde 2.7 filter. After 5 short interval changes with quality synthetic, I don't find the carbon in the filter pleats anymore. Due to this and how it looks through the oil fill hole, I think its now about as clean as any engine.

The conventional wisdom is to do the water pump, all chains, sprockets and tensioners at 100K if you make it there. Do you think I should dive in at 100K or just run it?

Originally Posted By: grampi
The 2.7 is a beautiful design that was poorly executed...

Yes.

Plan tomorrow is drop the pan, change the rod bearings, fix valve cover leaks I caused, refill with Penzoil High Mileage 5W30 and see where the oil pressure runs. Someone has been in the motor as a Stopblock has been fitted.
The miss set a P0301 code. I ran a leakdown on it and heard air out the tailpipe. Kept driving it and babied it along till one morning merging on the freeway I wound it up to redline; shortly thereafter the light went out.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back