With carquest you don't even know what you buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if I was trying to find a bright side to Fram filter in an earlier post I am a wix ( Carquest) oil filter loyal customer. But I no longer know if I should.

I bought two 85040( pf47)at my Carquest auto parts store. Once at home I noticed they werent the same , despite they were wearing the same part number.

One is from Raleigh USA they other is from Rexdale Ontario Canada.

The Canadian one is a bit longer, the center tube isn't the same the contruction right under the filter head seems to be different for the US one there is like another part there, bigger tube ? reinforcement ? I dont know , much more hole in the Canadian tube but a bit smaller than the US one the bottom of the can isn't shape the same way.

Both filter head have 6 holes but the US one are much bigger.Both carry the silicone anti drain valve.

So I bought one brand but I end up with two different product. Are they giving the very same performance ?? I don't think so .

I hate that when they do that...

i would go back to carquest and ask them what the **** is going on? i have only ever seen the raleigh, usa on the side of my carquest boxes and filters. (#85060) i hope carquest doesn't start get there stuff from canada.

anybody know where the napa wix filters come from?

patriot.gif

It sounds like they may have more than one supplier for a given part number, not entirely uncommon. Or, the supplier has changed its design for that part number. Although annoying, you never know -- they may have IMPROVED the design or supplier. Compare the base plate to other brands -- it's a dead givaway to the supplier's identity.

Napa Gold and Carquest Premium Blue filters are relabeled Wix filters, and of xlnt quality. The lesser Wix Silver filters are made by a retired plumber named Floyd in his Cleveland basement. (Actually, I have no idea where the Silvers come from these days, but this board will tell ya!)

Were these filters Wix branded or Carquest branded. Especially if they are Carquest branded then most likely they change their supplier based on costs. If they are Wix branded and look different for the same filter then maybe Wix doesn't actually make them and sources them from whomever. Again usually for price, quality and availability reasons they change suppliers. Or maybe Carquest in Canada is trying to source from Canada rather than the US.

Whimsey

From the FRAM website-
"With six North American research and development, manufacturing, and marketing locations in.... Mississauga, Ontario; and Stratford, Ontario; FRAM employs ..."

Are any of those near Rexdale?

On the Canadian filter you can read :
Carquest premium filter
Made in Canada
By Wix

Distributed by Carquest Canada LTD
Rexdale Ontario

On the US one all you get is:
Carquest premium filter
Carquest corporation
Raleigh
Made in USA

Both filters are blue

There is a Dana plant in Cambridge Ontario that makes most of the Carquest premium filters up here. I pass that plant every time I go to one of the dragstrips I frequent.

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
The lesser Wix Silver filters are made by a retired plumber named Floyd in his Cleveland basement. (Actually, I have no idea where the Silvers come from these days, but this board will tell ya!)

I got some silver from Napa for my Wife's Acura. They were made in the U.K. and I have never seen metal so thin. I could push in the walls with a medium grip, They went back.

The last Napa Silver I bought (1.5 years ago) for a Ford 300 I6 said Made in Gastonia, NC. It didn't look much different from a Napa Gold except for the Nitrile ADBV, and I'm sure the filter material is different. I have bought the Carquest Blue filters and they look the same as the Napa Golds, but they cost about $1 more.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
There is a Dana plant in Cambridge Ontario that makes most of the Carquest premium filters up here. I pass that plant every time I go to one of the dragstrips I frequent.

All of the AC Delcos and NAPA Gold and Silver filters I've seen here are also made in Canada by Dana (Wix).

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
It sounds like they may have more than one supplier for a given part number, not entirely uncommon. Or, the supplier has changed its design for that part number. Although annoying, you never know -- they may have IMPROVED the design or supplier. Compare the base plate to other brands -- it's a dead givaway to the supplier's identity.

Napa Gold and Carquest Premium Blue filters are relabeled Wix filters, and of xlnt quality. The lesser Wix Silver filters are made by a retired plumber named Floyd in his Cleveland basement. (Actually, I have no idea where the Silvers come from these days, but this board will tell ya!)

Last time I checked, Wix was still making all the filters for CarQuests USA stores. I have no idea where CarQuest Canada gets their filters. Wix also produces NAPA Silver, Gold and Select filters in the USA unless the application is of too low a volume to tool up production.
cheers.gif
patriot.gif
canada.gif

This is getting to be any issue with most brands. Recently I purchase a Wix air filter for our Honda and a Wix cabin filter for our Oldsmobile. The Honda filter was a reboxed Made in Korea piece and the Olds filter was a relabled Made in Mexico piece. The Mexican one just had a Wix paper label over top of the Mexican company's printing on the box.

The marketers of filters treat there business more and more as a distribution business and less and less as a mfg. business.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back