superbowl. the next holiday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont care one eyeota about football. Nevet watched it and never understood it. My girlfriend wanted mexican food so we left at 530 to go to her favorite place. This place is normally packed on sunday night as well as every night. Pull up and the place is closed! Went up the street to another place and its closed too. She had to settle for deltaco.guess these places decided to watch a game vs pay the bills by being open

I don't watch football or most professional sports. Especially since the NFL is considered a non profit!! I watch some college basketball. I find womens fast pitch softball interesting to watch.

Last edited:
If a business is willing to forgo an evening of profit to give their people an evening to enjoy the biggest sports event this country has to offer, then good for them.
In a modern culture where nothing is sacred anymore, it is nice to know that we still have Superbowl Sunday.

I'm with you. Never a big fan--(no team in my home city while growing up). I happened to be in Louisiana during the Chuck Muncie era where they would freebase cocaine in the locker room at half-time--and it sure showed. The bounty system scandal, the look-the-other way when it comes to steroids approach and the overall semi-authoritarian law-unto-itself attitude of the NFL are turnoffs to me.

Oddly, I stopped off at the coin operated car wash about 40 minutes before kickoff to give the undercarriage a quick rinse, and all the lanes were full and a couple of cars were waiting. Go figure.

P.S. Isn't that deal where Peyton Manning stamps down his left foot right before taking a snap a balk or something?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I'm with you. Never a big fan--(no team in my home city while growing up). I happened to be in Louisiana during the Chuck Muncie era where they would freebase cocaine in the locker room at half-time--and it sure showed. The bounty system scandal, the look-the-other way when it comes to steroids approach and the overall semi-authoritarian law-unto-itself attitude of the NFL are turnoffs to me.

Oddly, I stopped off at the coin operated car wash about 40 minutes before kickoff to give the undercarriage a quick rinse, and all the lanes were full and a couple of cars were waiting. Go figure.

P.S. Isn't that deal where Peyton Manning stamps down his left foot right before taking a snap a balk or something?

The NFL was the first major American sports league to test for Steroids in 1987.

I live out here near Seattle. Not a football fan at all. Been nuts for weeks with Seahawk fans acting like high school kids. But...it helps the economy I suppose. Every gas station and corner lot has a person selling shirts and Seahawk junk hand-over-fist. Tons of money being exchanged. All the stores that have a Seahawk clothing section actually have attendees making sure the customers find what they want. Cars everywhere have "12" flags adorned on them. Really strange.
Oh well. Hoopla should calm down in a few days.

Originally Posted By: strongt
Same here in this town. It's a joke when they will close for the Superbowl but not for x-mas.

True....that's awful.

Originally Posted By: salv
If a business is willing to forgo an evening of profit to give their people an evening to enjoy the biggest sports event this country has to offer, then good for them.

I doubt that's the reason. More like business will be so slow so why even bother being open.

The wife and I went to our favorite chain burger restaurant that's usually packed on Sundays and it was dead.

I've never really liked sports myself, either. It seems that a lot of people "live" for it. I just don't understand. But I also know many of us car guys aren't big sports fans, either. But motor sports is a different story. (Supercross!)

Last edited:
1620959_614963585243623_632425130_n.jpg

^^^

Pretty much how I view sports and football in general.

I'm not sure why it is such an issue if a private business wants to close up shop for a night or not...

Yeah, you were apparently disappointed, but try again tomorrow night.

21.gif

Lol it gets worse! I ran to azone and met the manager at the door. They normally close at 10pm even on sunday but he was locking up at 8:05 due to no business!

Ski areas around here had lift ticket specials on Sunday.

I like the premise-- check out some new slopes, fewer crowds.

I like football. I watch a game every couple of years.

I'm undecided though. On one hand, the game goes so slow, and has so many replays (on TV) that it seems like I ought to be able to get work done on the computer while watching a game. OTOH it seems criminal that a game limited to 60min (?) takes 2 hours. No way I'd pay to go to a stadium but if I were to go I'd certainly want the game to move much faster.

Maybe they should play it like that competition chess, where the game only lasts 5 minutes, or has other arcane rules that makes players move aggressively due to time limits. :lol:

Side note: I had to drive on Sunday morning, and boy did it seem like MA cops were out in full force. Seemed odd to me, figured they would be out last night / this morning instead.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Is it really that bad if some people get truly excited over something you don't?

Don't you know that posting on BITOG is so much cooler than being a sports fan?
lol.gif

I seriously do not get the "sports are dumb" attitude, like some hobbies are better than others. Whatever, yesterday I actually played football, did an oil change, and watched the super bowl so I have all bases covered
smile.gif

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back