comapring the big 3 trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a beater truck, i realize the most important thing is condition.
Having said that i am looking to spend 1500 o so.
Who had the best set up from say 1985-95 ive owned a chevy cheyenne with the 4.3 and a ford with the 302 did.t have either all that long but.did like the chevy. General opinions and common issues of each make to watch out for. I do not want a brand war. I realize they all build decent trucks. Thanks everyone.

1500 won't get you much. What is wrong with your Ram?
I have had an 88 Silverado 3/4 ton 350/700R4. Was a good truck. Nothing really every broke to speak off. Tunes up and routine maintenance. I sold it with 210,000 on it.
I also had an 89 GMC 1 ton 454 Turbo 400. Great truck. When I sold it, it had 180,000 miles on it. 90 percent of it towing. I had to do a radiator, TBI gasket, water pump and injectors.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

Can you be a little more specific?

Compact/Midsize, 150, 250, 350?
Regular, Ext, Crew Cab?
2, or 4 wheel drive?
Automatic, or manual?
Etc...

My ram was my grandfathers. I am going to start restoring it this spring. I make due with the ram right now but once I start fixing it up I wont be using it as a truck anympore itll be a perfect condition truck I will drive on weekends and special events and such. But I have started doing regular work for people and a truck is very handy. All I need is a beater I dont care about the looks or if its starts with a screw driver as long as it can serve as a truck itll do fine.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Can you be a little more specific?

Compact/Midsize, 150, 250, 350?
Regular, Ext, Crew Cab?
2, or 4 wheel drive?
Automatic, or manual?
Etc...

sorry I forget little trucks are actually trucks. Reg cab full size 2wd or 4 doesnt matter 4wd would be nice but harder to find. And manual is strongly preferred but not a must either.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
U can get a Chevy S10 with a 4.3 V6. THE 4.3L is a great engine

im not sure an s10 would handle hauling cars and trucks very well? Maybe it would im not sure.

im not sure an s10 would handle hauling cars and trucks very well? Maybe it would im not sure.

Hauling cars & trucks? What kind of weight are we talking about?

Hauling cars & trucks? What kind of weight are we talking about?

Probably 6,000 tops. With the majority in the 3,000-4000

Don't buy an 88 Chevy with the 305 engine. Major issues...I know from experience. That was the year of the big body change and the young engineers cut out a lot of casting support webs or something in the small block. There was a raft of cracked blocks and leaking head gaskets. The dealer in Altoona PA where mine went when it cracked had over 50 blocks replaced by the time mine went.

So, people are recommending a F-150 with the 4.9L I-6? Interesting...

RamMan specifically stated that he "strongly prefers a manual", and will tow up to 6,000lbs. on occasion. Would any of you like you research what the factory rated towing capacity was for that truck with a manual transmission?

So, people are recommending a F-150 with the 4.9L I-6? Interesting...

RamMan specifically stated that he "strongly prefers a manual", and will tow up to 6,000lbs. on occasion. Would any of you like you research what the factory rated towing capacity was for that truck with a manual transmission?

Ok get a F-250 with the I-6..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back