Waterpump Replacement cost:2004 Buick LeSabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Mrs Milkman's car will be needing a WP very soon. With the weather and my health, I can't do it. What do you guys think is a reasonable cost ? I ask this as I have no regular mechanic as I was always able to work on my cars myself. 3.8 L V6. Thanks...

It only pays 1.8 hours normal time but the OEM water pump is over $180 but can be had online for less than $100+ coolant.

If you found someone who would let you provide the pump and coolant labor should be about $120-$160 depending on the labor rate in your area.
Most places frown on this though because markup on parts is where they cash in on the job.

Have you tried a local trade school? Maybe an out of work mechanic or one that does it on the side that friends use, most do its just finding them. Ask at your local parts store if they know someone.

If you got an OEM new pump installed with coolant for $350 you did okay.
I would do that job for someone for $225 with new OEM out the door, cash and a handshake only.

Edit: No i am not fishing for work, i really don't want any. Just an example if i were.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Mr. Milkman,
Are you not able to do it yourself? The 3.8 water pump is easy.

But Trav and Beast are correct. I believe the pump I put in the Buick was a new one from Autozone with a life time warranty for 50 dollars.

Just go to repairpal.com. Type in your zip code and what repair you are looking at and it will give you a spectrum of costs for that repair in the area where you live. I have found it to be very accurate.

If you were close by, I'd do it for for the cost of a six pack. That job on the 3800 is a piece of cake.

Once you get the alternator support bracket off, you got all kinds of room to work on the water pump.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you were close by, I'd do it for for the cost of a six pack. That job on the 3800 is a piece of cake.

Once you get the alternator support bracket off, you got all kinds of room to work on the water pump.

I am with you. If you were close we would shoot the breeze and enjoy the work!

Thanks Gentlemen...

I had 2 mild heart attacks in the last 3 months. For now, I am not allowed to do much. It doesn't look like a tough job.

New aftermarket pumps can be had around here for about $ 40. Any brands to avoid ?

With stuff like this and the aftermarket being what it is these days i go with OEM from an online store.
Cardone, Airtex, AC Delco aftermarket, etc are all scrap metal. AC Delco OEM is expensive but good, it is not related in any way to the aftermarket version.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
New aftermarket pumps can be had around here for about $ 40. Any brands to avoid ?

When comes time to replace mine, I will be getting an ACDelco from RockAuto.

Originally Posted By: Trav
With stuff like this and the aftermarket being what it is these days i go with OEM from an online store.
Cardone, Airtex, AC Delco aftermarket, etc are all scrap metal. AC Delco OEM is expensive but good, it is not related in any way to the aftermarket version.

Yes, and I would put Bosch on that list, too.

GMB, Aisin, and Beck/Arnley are the only aftermarket pumps I trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back