What maintenance/ repairs do you have planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to rebuild my sons 01 saturn sc1. Front suspension needs new struts , bearings and control arms. When its warmer, the engine and manual trans will be pulled. The pistons if in good shape will get oil drainback holes drilled in the oil ringlands. Full rebuild with rings, timing chain and tensioner, head will be sent out for valve grinding,seals. Crank will be checked, new bearings(probably clevite but not sure yet). Then a new clutch/flywheel, not sure there what brand yet, i'll probably ask eljefino. Engine mounts as well.

At 150K miles I am going to change the stabilizer bar bushings and links in my Jeep.

For my Cummings I still need to install my AirDog lift pump.

Boat - get carb rebuilt. Its a 1987.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Going to rebuild my sons 01 saturn sc1. Front suspension needs new struts , bearings and control arms. When its warmer, the engine and manual trans will be pulled. The pistons if in good shape will get oil drainback holes drilled in the oil ringlands. Full rebuild with rings, timing chain and tensioner, head will be sent out for valve grinding,seals. Crank will be checked, new bearings(probably clevite but not sure yet). Then a new clutch/flywheel, not sure there what brand yet, i'll probably ask eljefino. Engine mounts as well.

I thought a Saturn was considered "disposable"?

02 Accord:

-Lower ball joints have some play after 175K miles
-Rear pads and rotors this summer
-Front motor mount has cracks
-Wiper transmission linkage
-Timing belt, drive belts, water pump, oil seals

02 I35:

-Coolant change
-Spark plugs
-PCV valve

13 Pilot:

-Tranny and PS D&F this summer
-Rotate tires

Last edited:
Around June 15th, an oil & filter change. The oil for the summer will be a gallon of NAPA SL 10W-40, with 2 quarts of what-have-you mixed in, most likely one of straight 40 weight PYB and one of 10W-30 Castrol.

Around December 15th, I will see what the mileage is. I will get an oil change, but leave the filter in (it will be a Bosch Distance Plus so no reason to change it). I think then the oil will all be Toyota dino, 5W-30.

I might think about a timing belt around then as officially it will be due at the 60K mark which comes at 205,000 miles. But my mechanic says that 90K, at 235,000 miles, might be acceptable.

The car passed smog, a bearing was replaced, the hoses & mounts are good, and the transmission works fine, but maybe 100,000 miles from now might need a re-build.

Everything right now is just ducky.

Doing a mild/slow engine flush for 2006 Volvo V70. The complicate PCV system (Volvo calls it an oil trap) is difficult and time consuming to replace, using Lubegard engine flush with reduced dosage and drive the car normally for few hundreds miles to clean up the PCV system. Will change the oil after 400-500 miles.

With all this bitter cold and snow, doing repairs is very difficult! However, I do have a few on the horizon. On Monday I'll be replacing the blower motor on our Fusion. Supposedly our car had the updated and improved unit from the factory, but it still went bad. Oh well... I have a new OEM unit waiting to go in. Once it warms up a bit, I'll be replacing the rear pads on the Fusion, and likely the fronts too as PM. The Sedona is getting all LED interior lighting next week, or as soon as the parts come (I'm super excited!). In the spring the Sedona will be getting a coolant drain/fill, an ATF drain/fill, and an oil change. In the summer the Fusion will be getting the same, sans coolant. And both vehicles will need new tires by fall ::eek:pens up checkbook::

EDIT: And the Sedona needs new front swaybar end links, too. I'll add that to the spring to-do-list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: spasm3

I thought a Saturn was considered "disposable"?

they get great gas mileage, are easy to work on and fairly inexpensive to rebuild.
His 5 speed sc1 with the air off gets 42 highway.

Last edited:
Just did a wheel bearing, while in there realized the front shocks are shot so I have to order a couple of those, for the truck. For the Impala I need to find some headlights that are brighter.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Just did a wheel bearing, while in there realized the front shocks are shot so I have to order a couple of those, for the truck. For the Impala I need to find some headlights that are brighter.

Put some HIR bulbs in that Impala! I'd be using them in our cars if either of them had 9005/9006 bulbs.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
We are heading to florida at the end of march for spring break. Before making the 2,200 mile round trip I am going to be doing some stuff to the 2004. We are heading to vegas for a friends wedding at the end of the year too and that will be a 5k round trip with all the extra stops. So for piece of mind...

Radiator Hoses
Thermostat
Water pump
Serp Belt
Idler pulley
Tensioner Pulley
Trans fluid/filter
Rear diff fluid (probably change out the pinion seal while I'm there)
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Pcv valve
Air filter

How about you guys, any projects planned?

What makes you think that any of these need to be done?

Well it's due for a tune up & fluid change. But I'm assuming your talking about the water pump, etc. Well the idler pulley is making noises, and everything else is original. Since it is 10 years old and has 122k on the hoses, etc. It is all easy to get to so while I'm under there I'm going to change them out before driving across country twice. It is worth my piece of mind doing it. Plus the pinion seal is starting to form a slow leak. That will be the only minor pain in the rear doing it on the ground.

Last edited:
2001 VW Beetle - Actually completed two items on it yesterday which was an oil/filter change and installing a new battery.

2000 Dodge Durango - Hopefully weather will be good enough next weekend that I will change the water pump, lower radiator hose, and by-pass hose. Bearing is shot in the WP. I have all the parts now just need time and cooperating weather.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger

Put some HIR bulbs in that Impala! I'd be using them in our cars if either of them had 9005/9006 bulbs.
Thanks man I'll look into that, the ones that are in it are a joke. I got some Sylvanias that were supposed to be brighter but they are the same.

We are heading to florida at the end of march for spring break. Before making the 2,200 mile round trip I am going to be doing some stuff to the 2004. We are heading to vegas for a friends wedding at the end of the year too and that will be a 5k round trip with all the extra stops. So for piece of mind...

Radiator Hoses
Thermostat
Water pump
Serp Belt
Idler pulley
Tensioner Pulley
Trans fluid/filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Pcv valve
Air filter

Well it's due for a tune up & fluid change. But I'm assuming your talking about the water pump, etc. Well the idler pulley is making noises, and everything else is original. Since it is 10 years old and has 122k on the hoses, etc. It is all easy to get to so while I'm under there I'm going to change them out before driving across country twice. It is worth my piece of mind doing it. Plus the pinion seal is starting to form a slow leak. That will be the only minor pain in the rear doing it on the ground.

Well given that, sounds like a good plan! I suppose the question would then become what about the alternator (or at least voltage regulator) and battery? Alignment? Brake fluid flush?

Good luck with the salt and weather complying!

Nothing. I want to see how far I can get into the year without spending a penny on a vehicle.

Last edited:

Radiator Hoses
Thermostat
Water pump
Serp Belt
Idler pulley
Tensioner Pulley
Trans fluid/filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Pcv valve
Air filter

Well given that, sounds like a good plan! I suppose the question would then become what about the alternator (or at least voltage regulator) and battery? Alignment? Brake fluid flush?

Good luck with the salt and weather complying!

Using the in-laws heated garage! I do the turkey baster method of changing out some brake fluid every oil change. Plus the guy at discount tire gives us a free alignment check every few months during the rotations and balancing. The alternator is just as easy but not as cheap to replace, lol. The cheapest oem alternator is around $200. So I'll just keep my socket set with me on the trip. Easier and less messy to replace than a water pump on the go. I might be a bit over thinking things, but I have never driven this far before going out to vegas so I will probably check and change something else before we go too, lol

I have a lot to do. I'm pretty sure the Accord needs at least one motor mount (whole car shakes while sitting at a stoplight), it's going to need rear brakes soon, needs a brake fluid flush, and needs an oil change.

The Explorer has a bad coolant leak. It's a bad lower intake manifold gasket. I'm trying to limp it along until the weather gets warmer.

The Ranger is almost due for a diff fluid change and a trans pan drop/refill. Will also install a drain plug while I'm at it.

The Bronco needs a full front suspension rebuild (ball joints, tie rods, shocks, etc), rear brakes, a steering box, and lots of other stuff. (It's a project car, after all)

I also need to do an oil change on the fiancee's Rogue.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I have a lot to do. I'm pretty sure the Accord needs at least one motor mount (whole car shakes while sitting at a stoplight), it's going to need rear brakes soon, needs a brake fluid flush, and needs an oil change.

The Explorer has a bad coolant leak. It's a bad lower intake manifold gasket. I'm trying to limp it along until the weather gets warmer.

The Ranger is almost due for a diff fluid change and a trans pan drop/refill. Will also install a drain plug while I'm at it.

The Bronco needs a full front suspension rebuild (ball joints, tie rods, shocks, etc), rear brakes, a steering box, and lots of other stuff. (It's a project car, after all)

I also need to do an oil change on the fiancee's Rogue.

Wow, you have fun with all of that!!
I love those broncos, I want one as a toy when we get a bigger place.

Radiator Hoses
Thermostat
Water pump
Serp Belt
Idler pulley
Tensioner Pulley
Trans fluid/filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Pcv valve
Air filter

Using the in-laws heated garage! I do the turkey baster method of changing out some brake fluid every oil change. Plus the guy at discount tire gives us a free alignment check every few months during the rotations and balancing. The alternator is just as easy but not as cheap to replace, lol. The cheapest oem alternator is around $200. So I'll just keep my socket set with me on the trip. Easier and less messy to replace than a water pump on the go. I might be a bit over thinking things, but I have never driven this far before going out to vegas so I will probably check and change something else before we go too, lol

Here's an idea: see if you can get a good deal on a car rental.

1) You won't spend as much money on the maintenance you've planned
2) You get a more reliable vehicle so less worry
3) You could get a more comfortable up to date vehicle
4) You will probably get better mpg and save enough gas money to pay for the rental
5) You won't incur hidden costs on your vehicle eg tire and suspension wear
6) You don't have to increase the mileage allowance on your insurance

If you're going to be putting on a lot of miles in a short amount of time, vehicle rentals with unlimited miles can pay off handsomely.

I'm picking up a 99 Ford Expedition with 200k miles that has sat untouched for a year and has no battery, so yeah, I have a few things planned.

I'll probably change the oil in it. Then maybe wash it. I like to overmaintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back