.308/7.62x51 rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess that I'm jaded on the surplus .308, as Aussie Full bore shooters until fairly recently were supplied military ammo for their target rifles...when .308 was largely dropped, that programme did too, and they all started handloading. Mil stuff was pretty good (not handload accuracy, but was not genuine "mil surp" either).

Cost of ownership, I love my CZ527. Have had it out to 600 yards at teh range, and shot dinner plate sized targets consistently...62gr military stuff makes it there but goes through sideways.

Cheapest I've seen is a workmate who had a LOT of 7.62x39 in 1996 Oz gun ban, and no SKS to shoot it in. He bought a Norinco bolt action, and has decked many many pigs and goats,and is well into his second barrel.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Guess that I'm jaded on the surplus .308, as Aussie Full bore shooters until fairly recently were supplied military ammo for their target rifles...when .308 was largely dropped, that programme did too, and they all started handloading. Mil stuff was pretty good (not handload accuracy, but was not genuine "mil surp" either).

Cost of ownership, I love my CZ527. Have had it out to 600 yards at teh range, and shot dinner plate sized targets consistently...62gr military stuff makes it there but goes through sideways.

Cheapest I've seen is a workmate who had a LOT of 7.62x39 in 1996 Oz gun ban, and no SKS to shoot it in. He bought a Norinco bolt action, and has decked many many pigs and goats,and is well into his second barrel.

I'm looking because while I love the .270, it isn't cheap to shoot. I could start hand-loading I guess? But there's nothing wrong with having more guns either, LOL!
grin.gif

I'm headed to the local gun shop tonight to see what they have in both calibres, we'll see what I walk out with, if anything.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
So you think a Savage .223 would be a smarter buy?

I think it depends on what you are going to do with the rifle and how much you want to spend on ammunition as well as if you will ever reload. .223 is considerable cheaper to buy and/or reload versus .308 (takes less of everything cost wise). If you are target shooting to about 400m, the .223 is a keeper (no recoil, long barrel life, cheap to feed), but if you are going out much past 400m, then the .308 would shine.

I just put a Remington 700 VSSF in .308 on layaway, but I plan to upgrade it some. I will eventually installing a Hart barrel and have the action blueprinted. Short term, I have an HS Precision stock and Jewell trigger to install on it. I am going to handload at some point but to start I picked up some Prvi Partizan Match 168gr BTHP ammo on sale at Midway. I also grabbed some new LC long range brass on clearance online for handloading too.

Long story short, both cartridges are fun to shoot, but the .308 is better suited for long range shooting.

I have this one n Brush Mossy Oak:

FNH Heavy

Accuracy with reloads is superb and better than the Panther Arms heavy I used to have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Interesting that no one suggested the Remington 700. They can be found in various configurations from lightweight models all the way up to 3 sided barrels.

The tactical version is often on sale, and generally quite accurate.

Sorry, that was the gun I meant to reference in my original post. The 700 R5 Milspec:

http://frontierfirearms.ca/remington-700-r5-milspec-308-win.html

Which is a bit more than twice what I wanted to spend at this point
smile.gif
Though I do have intentions of getting it down the road.

When you do finally get it you'll love it. I have two of them and they are well made and very accurate rifles.

If you're looking for something now, I'd go with a Savage. They're great shooters right out of the box.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Savage Model 10 or derivative thereof (not the Edge/Axis). They can be rebarreled easily too. If you want accustock and accutrigger, look at newer ones.

But if you want to save money, get a .223 and a reloading press. Surplus .308/7.62 doesn't shoot well - save it for your AR-10 or M1A and 3-gun matches.

So you think a Savage .223 would be a smarter buy?

For punching paper at distances most guys shoot, yes, go .223. Less recoil, costs less to buy, costs less to reload.

If you're shooting big game, .223 may not be the best choice.

The only big game I'm likely to shoot is a fridge or stove, and that'll be with the 12-guage, so I think we are safe there
smile.gif

I shoot for fun mostly. Though I may pick up hunting down the road. However if that's the case, then the .270 I already own will work well for that.

So I failed on the budget side of things, but thanks for all the help guys, see the new thread
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back