Archoil AR6200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wonder if anyone here has tried AR6200, over more than 1000 miles?

If you haven't, don't bother to write anything, since it won't be of any value.

PantherMike will look forward to reading your report. Just put it in two diesel tractors and a gas F700 16' flat dump truck that will be parked for another month or too. On a test drive of the F700 with the 429 carbed engine I noticed it did not back fire like before which may indicate gas is burning in the cylinders instead of in the exhaust pipe. It is to start burning 400F degrees sooner if I understood what I was reading from Archoil. Actually all of the history of Archoil additives are interesting.

I have been using it for 260 kilometers now, in a 2 liter turbodiesel.

Want to see the results we get in a 2008 Skoda 1.9 liter PD turbodiesel(same engine that is used in VW Golf and Passat), before I post any results.
We will drive some 2000 miles with each car, before posting some first impressions.

Good to see that others have seen this one, too.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
PantherMike will look forward to reading your report. Just put it in two diesel tractors and a gas F700 16' flat dump truck that will be parked for another month or too. On a test drive of the F700 with the 429 carbed engine I noticed it did not back fire like before which may indicate gas is burning in the cylinders instead of in the exhaust pipe. It is to start burning 400F degrees sooner if I understood what I was reading from Archoil. Actually all of the history of Archoil additives are interesting.

A 429?
Is that a ford sohc?
The hemi killer?

It is a 1989 429 Lima what ever that means. It is set up for torque in this case being in a 26K pound rated 16' flat dump truck. The 460 version of the big block is more common in motor homes and the smaller F series. It is a high RPM for a truck at 4500. Our 1992 454 shifts at 4000 RPM when at WOT. It has more kick but it only has 110K miles on it. It will set up and run at 75 MPH on the interstates but holds the RPM's at 2900 in OD but it sounds more happy at 2700 RPM so we try not to go over 70 MPH.

The 429 is in front of a 5 speed manual with a two speed rear axle and it will run 75 at 4500 RPM but I only did that for a while on I-24 when we brought it home from TN/GA border. Bought it to move a hill to a hollow mainly but get hay and stuff with it too. It is too worn to push hard on the road. On the place we used it at more like 3500 RPM doing about 10 MPH when loaded with dirt. It shows about 150K miles but I expect that may not be correct. I bought it because of the dual three stage rams in the lift.
smile.gif

I also received this info:

"We regularly receive questions regarding fuel catalyst technologies and how they work. In particular, the Archoil AR6200. The existing definition of “burn rate modifier” and “lowers burn rate by up to 400 degrees” has caused confusion.

In simple terms, a catalyst facilitates a better burn of the fuel. Each fuel type will have a flash point and auto-ignition point, determined by temperature and other factors. This is different to the burn rate.

Both petrol and diesel is composed of carbons and these carbons or carbon chains require up to 1200ºF to burn fully. This has nothing to do with the flash point. The flash point is the temperature at which the vapour of the fuel will ignite with the help of an ignition source and the auto-ignition point is the temperature at which the fuel vapour will ignite without an ignition source.

Once the fuel has ignited it creates an exothermic reaction (heat). It is this rapid increase in heat that actually burns the fuel (carbons) and creates the explosion in the combustion chamber, thus resulting in a massive release of energy forcing the piston downwards and thus rotating the crank shaft.

If you can reduce the temperature at which the carbons burn, say by up to 400ºF in the case of AR6200, you can improve the burn. This is achieved by increasing the surface area of fuel droplets, and starting the burn rate of hydrocarbons at a lower temperature to yield more available BTU’s from the combustion process. The fuel becomes more aromatic (increased chemical stability) and a longer residual burn occurs. By commencing the burn rate lower, the lower end hydrocarbons are burnt and the combustion process is more residual and complete, practically eliminating unburned hydrocarbons and wasted energy in the form of black smoke or emissions.

Altering the burn rate in this way does not directly increase horse power. It increases the energy release through the explosion, which raises torque output. The result of burning the fuel more fully will also increase torque as well as lower emissions as proven by the AR6200 carbon mass balance tests. This is the same process with all hydrocarbon fuels such as petrol, diesel, ethanol, heating oil, heavy fuel oil etc.

Will AR6200 affect the octane rating of petrol?

No, we have proven with ASTM D2699 tests that there is no change. Octane is simply a measurement at which gasoline will auto ignite. Increases in cylinder pressures and temperatures can make the fuel ignite prematurely, thus creating the dreaded engine knock/pinking sound. Octane boosters or anti-knock additives reduce the volatility of the fuel so that it ignites as instructed via a source of ignition rather than on its own.

AR6200 only affects the temperature at which the carbons will burn once the fuel has ignited. It does not directly alter the flash or auto-ignition point. That said, tests have shown that the improvement in combustion quality and stability means that the propensity of pre-ignition is actually reduced with AR6200 and therefore can have the effect of “raising” the octane. This cannot be demonstrated with a simple D2699 knock engine.

But isn’t this contradictory? Not really. When fuel is not fully burned it can leave pockets of fuel that subsequently ignite a second time, again causing engine knock. The improvement in combustion quality from using AR6200 helps eliminate this because all fuel carbons are burned fully the first time. AR6200 is not altering the auto-ignition point of the fuel but instead correcting another inherent source of engine knock - remaining unburned fuel".

Another person I know, started using AR6200, yesterday.

The car is a 1986 3.3 liter Nissan Patrol 4X4 Turbodiesel.

I am close to 1000 km now, with the 1997 Nissan Primera 2.0 TD.

The odometer is now at 300 143 kilometers (186 540 miles).

I only have a minor in chemistry, so I'm going to qualify my comment with that statement.

I have to say this sounds like the biggest load of pseudoscience I have heard in a while. Yes, you can reduce combustion temperatures with a catalyst but you will be able to see it happen. None the tests you mention in this post show anything, it keeps saying "no, you can't see this in any test". That right there is a huge red flag.

What about a reduction in NOx? What about flame temperature readings? I mean, you don't need an ICE to test it, right? Just inject some into a hydrocarbon flame and see what happens.

Generally lower flame front temperatures result in more incomplete combustion. Any explanation why this isn't happening?

Originally Posted By: jonny-b
I also received this info:

"We regularly receive questions regarding fuel catalyst technologies and how they work. In particular, the Archoil AR6200. The existing definition of “burn rate modifier” and “lowers burn rate by up to 400 degrees” has caused confusion.

In simple terms, a catalyst facilitates a better burn of the fuel. Each fuel type will have a flash point and auto-ignition point, determined by temperature and other factors. This is different to the burn rate.

Both petrol and diesel is composed of carbons and these carbons or carbon chains require up to 1200ºF to burn fully. This has nothing to do with the flash point. The flash point is the temperature at which the vapour of the fuel will ignite with the help of an ignition source and the auto-ignition point is the temperature at which the fuel vapour will ignite without an ignition source.

Once the fuel has ignited it creates an exothermic reaction (heat). It is this rapid increase in heat that actually burns the fuel (carbons) and creates the explosion in the combustion chamber, thus resulting in a massive release of energy forcing the piston downwards and thus rotating the crank shaft.

If you can reduce the temperature at which the carbons burn, say by up to 400ºF in the case of AR6200, you can improve the burn. This is achieved by increasing the surface area of fuel droplets, and starting the burn rate of hydrocarbons at a lower temperature to yield more available BTU’s from the combustion process. The fuel becomes more aromatic (increased chemical stability) and a longer residual burn occurs. By commencing the burn rate lower, the lower end hydrocarbons are burnt and the combustion process is more residual and complete, practically eliminating unburned hydrocarbons and wasted energy in the form of black smoke or emissions.

Altering the burn rate in this way does not directly increase horse power. It increases the energy release through the explosion, which raises torque output. The result of burning the fuel more fully will also increase torque as well as lower emissions as proven by the AR6200 carbon mass balance tests. This is the same process with all hydrocarbon fuels such as petrol, diesel, ethanol, heating oil, heavy fuel oil etc.

Will AR6200 affect the octane rating of petrol?

No, we have proven with ASTM D2699 tests that there is no change. Octane is simply a measurement at which gasoline will auto ignite. Increases in cylinder pressures and temperatures can make the fuel ignite prematurely, thus creating the dreaded engine knock/pinking sound. Octane boosters or anti-knock additives reduce the volatility of the fuel so that it ignites as instructed via a source of ignition rather than on its own.

AR6200 only affects the temperature at which the carbons will burn once the fuel has ignited. It does not directly alter the flash or auto-ignition point. That said, tests have shown that the improvement in combustion quality and stability means that the propensity of pre-ignition is actually reduced with AR6200 and therefore can have the effect of “raising” the octane. This cannot be demonstrated with a simple D2699 knock engine.

But isn’t this contradictory? Not really. When fuel is not fully burned it can leave pockets of fuel that subsequently ignite a second time, again causing engine knock. The improvement in combustion quality from using AR6200 helps eliminate this because all fuel carbons are burned fully the first time. AR6200 is not altering the auto-ignition point of the fuel but instead correcting another inherent source of engine knock - remaining unburned fuel".

Well, it's up to you. I don't care if you use it, or not.

However, I hope that there are more people out there, who want to spend less money when they fuel up.

For those people, maybe with even less chemistry knowledge, I believe this will be a small "goldmine".

I don't earn a cent from this product, but I like a product that does what it says, and even more.

No [censored], if you follow their rather straightforward instruction.

However, if you walk around the bush, too much, you might get dizzy, kschachn.

I understand that you need education to understand something, if you don't have the ability/capability to think for yourself.

Actually, it is so easy, that you can actually buy a bottle to try......

You haven't thought about that, or........?

Last edited:
I know that I won't be offered the job as a diplomat in the middle east, but I look forward to see the results from other users here.

Since I have only tried it on diesel cars, I must be honest to say I don't know if it is working equally good in petrol engines.

And, no, I don't have a degree in chemistry.

Last edited:
Did you say anything to answer what I was asking? If you did, I missed it.

You don't need education to "understand something". In fact, like a manager in the Apollo program stated, "if you understand it then you can explain it to me". The problem I had is with the explanation you posted - it doesn't say anything as far as I can see. One thing that always alerts me to babble is when someone purports to have something that does something, but they say it can't be shown or measured. I was only stating it said a lot of that. If something does something, then it can be seen, one way or another. Even in quantum mechanics.

A bottle to try? In my engine? There is no way that is enough of a controlled environment for me to make a determination if something would work like this claims to work.

Well, it's up to you. I don't care if you use it, or not.

However, I hope that there are more people out there, who want to spend less money when they fuel up.

For those people, maybe with even less chemistry knowledge, I believe this will be a small "goldmine".

I don't earn a cent from this product, but I like a product that does what it says, and even more.

No [censored], if you follow their rather straightforward instruction.

However, if you walk around the bush, too much, you might get dizzy, kschachn.

I understand that you need education to understand something, if you don't have the ability/capability to think for yourself.

Actually, it is so easy, that you can actually buy a bottle to try......

You haven't thought about that, or........?

Was this so hard to understand? Read the following text, again, please:

"Just wonder if anyone here has tried AR6200, over more than 1000 miles?

If you haven't, don't bother to write anything, since it won't be of any value".

kschachn, you have now proved my point.

You have also shown that you don't understand English.

It is better for all parts, that you don't write any more, under this topic.

Of course, unless you have tried AR6200.

I am interested in results from others, that have tried this stuff.

I know it works, since I am using it.

Please, don't come here with more [censored]-Bingo.

Ok, sorry for questioning and commenting a post you made on a public forum. Your response proves what I thought, that there is no substance behind the claims that are made for this product. The premise on your first post does too - that no discussion contrary to your beliefs are to be tolerated.

Ignorance is bliss, eh?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I only have a minor in chemistry, so I'm going to qualify my comment with that statement.

I have to say this sounds like the biggest load of pseudoscience I have heard in a while. Yes, you can reduce combustion temperatures with a catalyst but you will be able to see it happen. None the tests you mention in this post show anything, it keeps saying "no, you can't see this in any test". That right there is a huge red flag.

If something can't be tested then it's either junk or it's religion. We don't discuss religion on BITOG but there is discussion of this product here. One way to explain this is that the participants in the discussion are in consensus that the product is junk.

Suggest we restrict this thread to those who have actually used the product. Those who haven't used the product and especially those who have no intention of using the product can start their own thead.

OK, backing off. But tell me this - if the product does something that they themselves are saying can't be measured, then how does Archoil know that it does?

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
Suggest we restrict this thread to those who have actually used the product. Those who haven't used the product and especially those who have no intention of using the product can start their own thead.

"AR6200 Fuel Modification Complex was developed to address the shortcomings in carbon based fuels. AR6200 utilizes the principle of catalysis and at the same time is a demulsifier, increases available combustion BTU by lowering the burn rate, controls bacteria growth, a polymerization retardant and more. Tested in the field for MPG using the EPA CMB test averaging an 8% improvement, the most accurate EPA test for MPG. Can be used in any carbon fuel type including bunker and will maintain storage fuel integrity. One pint treats 1280 gallons".

It looks like they know it because of the testing.

Last edited:
Did you look that up? The "EPA CMB" is a Chemical Mass Balance model, not even a test as such. It is a computer model. And it is used to predict air pollution.

Unless there is another "EPA CMB test" then this doesn't appear to even relate to what they claim.

"AR6200 Fuel Modification Complex was developed to address the shortcomings in carbon based fuels. AR6200 utilizes the principle of catalysis and at the same time is a demulsifier, increases available combustion BTU by lowering the burn rate, controls bacteria growth, a polymerization retardant and more. Tested in the field for MPG using the EPA CMB test averaging an 8% improvement, the most accurate EPA test for MPG. Can be used in any carbon fuel type including bunker and will maintain storage fuel integrity. One pint treats 1280 gallons".

It looks like they know it because of the testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back