03 Forester timing belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
132k on my wife's old Forester that I'm fixing up to use as a car for up and coming teen drivers to use.

This car has never had the timing belt replaced. I'm looking for some input on how difficult this job is.

One mechanic I know says they're pretty easy

My mechanic brother says "good luck with that" but that might be because he's a jerk.

So what say ye?

I changed one on the 2000 SOHC engine and I just went slow and careful. I also changed the waterpump at the same time. The DOHC version is more difficult. In any case, get step by step instructions WITH pictures to guide you. Ed

If you just want to do the belt, tensioner and the idlers its not bad at all but that only part of the job if you want to do it right.
Cam seals, crank front seal and water pump should also be installed. I install a new thermostat and upper and lower radiator hoses while its all apart.

Be very careful buying parts for this, stay well clear of Gates, Dayco, Goodyear, etc they use single roller idler bearings (OEM is double row), lower price but not good quality.
Use the kit from Aisin who is the original supplier or OEM. Google for Aisin TKF-001.

The reason you should remove the oil pump to put a new seal in is the pumps have a habit of screws loosening in the rear, its not uncommon to find a couple loose. use red loctite on them.
Use blue Anaerobic Gasket Maker on the oil pump not RTV, there are lots of horror stories about sloppy RTV use breaking loose and plugging the oil galley. Anaerobic Gasket Maker stays a gel until it is void of air, meaning it wont solidify and clog anything.
It has proven itself in this application for years with huge success.

Cam seals are know leaker's on these things replace them but be careful not to knick the cam seal surface, drill 2 small holes and use sheet metal screws to pull them out.
Lube the lip of the new one with #2 grease and coat the outside of the seal with Permatex #2 non hardening sealer.

Install the oil pump seal after you have the pump back in not before. grease and #2 like the cam seals.

This is not a difficult job but it can have a few pitfalls, just take your time, be clean and follow directions. If you need pictures with detailed instructions and timing marks i have them, just PM me.

^^ this ^^
I'm getting ready to do the TB on the Accord. The only modification I am considering is to use OEM Honda belt in place of the Mitsuboshi belt provided in the Aisin kit for my vehicle as I'm not 100% sure that Mitsuboshi is OEM belt supplier. Still looking into that. The Aisin kits generally use Koyo bearings which are OEM supplier, they also use Aisin water pump and tensioner - I have not seen any issues with these parts and suspect they too are OEM supply without the Honda name. The main thing is don't cheap out on these critical parts. Good opportunity for thermostat and coolant replacement. My car is a daily driver and I typically go more than minimum work on maintenance.

Look at youtube and read up on doing this before you tackle the job. Forums and tech notes are also a good source of info. And be aware that you may need some specialized tools - for the Honda, I have a balancer holding socket and a deep 3/4" (19mm) socket for the balancer bolt for my 3/4" drive stuff. That balancer bolt can be a bear to remove sometimes.

Ericthecarguy has a good vid as well on Subaru timing belts and he also replaces all the idlers and the water pump. Once you get the radiator assembly/fans out of the way, it actually looks fairly easy since there is so much room. This vid obviously isn't a Forester, but it should b close to what you'd deal with on a Forester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItEcdrKWHtY

retail $$$ on one is over 1000$ to do it right. that doesnt include all the extras trav mentions.
I have heard over 1400$ for the full job. ESP if you let the dealer do it with dealer parts.

There are many stories out there where just the belt and 1-2 pulleys were replaced and then it blew up 20000-30000 miles because of another 20$ pulley that wasnt replaced.

Thats also the year that had 100% fail rate on headgaskets. IF they havent been replaced yet.. might want to consider it.

The stock gaskets had a coating on them that would get eaten away and fail.

Being a horizontal engine there are 2 headgaskets.

Last edited:
Great point and its easy to do them on this SOHC engine once the belt is off. you are only an hour from getting the heads off, the heads are easy.
This whole job can be done for $400 or less.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
TKF0001 is listed as standard trans. I can't find the auto one.

I believe its the same. Subaru OEM parts don't offer manual or auto versions but call Aisin and ask. 310-326-8681

After doing quite a few subaru timing belts, its key to follow instructions on putting the belt. the last roller is actually not even on when you put the belt on. You also need some clips to hold/lock the cams in place. without them, your gonna have a very, very hard time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back