05 Corolla 1.8L 1ZZFE-Sam's Club 5W-30 9,672 oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
OCI_31Jan.png

I used Castrol GTX for the first analysis around 170k with a standard size Wix filter. That was the first time I had changed it myself. After that I converted over to "Certified" Sam's Club 5W-30 (COA says "Amalie") and standard Purolator Classic L14477 (oversize) filters. Overall, I think I feel safe running an 8,000+ mile OCI now.

BTW, if anyone knows how to post the Blackstone reports better than this, let me know.

I cracked open the top to check the valve clearances recently. Looked great. This engine is really easy on oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're driving the dickens out of that 'Rolla. My daughter's o6. has about 170 k miles on it. It has had all sorts of 5 w 30 with mostly Fram filters. It had a 150 k check up last year. I dont quite get the bad stuff said about Toyotas, It has been very reliable and easy to maintain. It is the opposite of what I want in a car, but it has been great for my Princess.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
You're driving the dickens out of that 'Rolla.

I had a long commute for a while. I bought it in November 2011 with 97k miles. I don't know much about the vehicle's history. It was in decent, but not spectacular condition when I bought it.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Notice his lead/copper results over three different intervals: 0ppm

Yeah, I have no idea why I keep getting lead and copper in my OCI's, but the Blackstone did not flag them as dangerously high. What is TBN?

I also forgot to mention in my post that I used silicone gasket sealant in the last OCI. That is why silica is high.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MD1032
Yeah, I have no idea why I keep getting lead and copper in my OCI's, but the Blackstone did not flag them as dangerously high. What is TBN?

I also forgot to mention in my post that I used silicone gasket sealant in the last OCI. That is why silica is high.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

Have you considered maybe switching to a different oil? Pennzoil 5w-30 is available at Sams Club -- $37.88 for a 12 pack.

Have you considered maybe switching to a different oil? Pennzoil 5w-30 is available at Sams Club -- $37.88 for a 12 pack.

I agree as long as it's from sometime 2013 as they seem to have changed the formula.
Do you burn any oil at all between OCI?

I used less than 1/4 of a quart on the long 9600 mile OCI. Hard to believe the valve seals are holding up so well at 200k. Good engine.

Thanks a lot for the info. I am an oil noob. I will send an e-mail to Blackstone asking if they have a retain of my sample to run TBN on. If not, I will have it done at my next OCI. It looks like Blackstone only charges $10 for it.

Could driving style affect this at all? I always make sure the engine is fully warmed up before engaging in any "spirited" driving, but I don't baby this car in the slightest.

Two things: 1) I have enough of the Sam's Club oil left to last me a couple more OCI's. 2) Probably selling this car sometime within the next few months. I am upgrading.

I collected these reports from Blackstone for my own education. However, I would also like to ensure the next owner of the vehicle can achieve at least another 100,000 problem-free miles as I have. Would switching to a very high quality oil give me more useful information? There is no budget limitation.

Last edited:
There is no budget limitation.

Now we're talking.
thumbsup2.gif

In the interest of education, here's what I'd do:

Pennzoil 5w-30 (regular conventional, 5qt. jug) and Motorcraft FL-400S. Both are available at Walmart. The Motorcraft is an oversize filter for your application, but it does fit:

MotorcraftCorolla.jpg

Run this for 5,000 miles, and then have another analysis done.

I used Castrol GTX for the first analysis around 170k with a standard size Wix filter. That was the first time I had changed it myself. After that I converted over to "Certified" Sam's Club 5W-30 (COA says "Amalie") and standard Purolator Classic L14477 (oversize) filters. Overall, I think I feel safe running an 8,000+ mile OCI now.

I would suggest to change the oil filters a little earlier during the OCI at 6000 miles or so.

I used less than 1/4 of a quart on the long 9600 mile OCI. Hard to believe the valve seals are holding up so well at 200k. Good engine.

Two things: 1) I have enough of the Sam's Club oil left to last me a couple more OCI's. 2) Probably selling this car sometime within the next few months. I am upgrading.

I collected these reports from Blackstone for my own education. However, I would also like to ensure the next owner of the vehicle can achieve at least another 100,000 problem-free miles as I have. Would switching to a very high quality oil give me more useful information? There is no budget limitation.

Yes it can help to change to a different oil brand and 0W-20/30 grade. You can change after your current stash is used up. Changing filter little earlier will also re freshen the spent oil at 6000 miles or so.

Elevated silicon numbers might have had something to do with the added wear numbers. I'd check my air filter for leaking sealing areas. If the air filter isn't a concern, a different brand of 5w30 would be my next option and lowering the oil change interval.
PYB for 5,000 miles would be my suggestion until the wear numbers came down.

Originally Posted By: walk23
Elevated silicon numbers might have had something to do with the added wear numbers. I'd check my air filter for leaking sealing areas. If the air filter isn't a concern, a different brand of 5w30 would be my next option and lowering the oil change interval.
PYB for 5,000 miles would be my suggestion until the wear numbers came down.

Sorry Walk, again, I forgot to put in the OP that silicone gasket sealant was used on my last OCI. That is the source of the silica in this OCI. The air filter was replaced only 10k miles ago and I use the high quality OEM filters from Toyota.

Ramblejam, I appreciate your advice. I will do exactly that, and have TBN analysis done, then report back. Thank you for your advice. I am familiar with using oversize filters as I current use a 2005 Camry size filter on my vehicle since it is the same price as the shorter Corolla filter. It makes perfect sense when you think about it.

901Memphis, as I stated, that first OCI at 170k was not the cheap stuff. Actually, it was the tail end of a run of three OCI's using Castrol GTX, which is a name brand that one of my friends swears by. The next OCI saw less copper using cheap oil and with a longer interval.

fpracha, why change the filter? Insolubles have been very low in all of my OCI's.

Castrol GTX is at the bottom of the name brands imho so it's not much better than the other API SN stuff. It has one of the weakest additive packs on the market which might be great for 3k changes but your using the wrong product for extended oil changes if your using Castrol GTX.

Castrol chooses to use no moly or titanium in their oil like any other decent oil. I don't want this to sound like a bash but you can simply do better.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/CastrolGTX.htm

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Pennzoil.htm

http://www.pqiamerica.com/SupertechApril2010.htm

http://www.pqiamerica.com/TexacoHavoline.htm

I also don't see too many good UOAs from GTX but there aren't a lot to see. A virgin analysis won't tell you everything but I can find plenty of good UOAs on the oils I've linked to the few on GTX.

Whoa, very cool site, good info. Thanks, I am definitely learning a lot here.

Good news - Blackstone kept a retain of my sample, and they are running TBN tomorrow - I will post back with the results tomorrow.

Have you had to make any repairs to the car during your ownership? I have an 05 Matrix with the same engine. Only 75k miles though.
smile.gif

Yes, the intake manifold gasket was still the original when I purchased it. Promptly replaced with the revised gasket. It was revving like a car with a bad IACV at cold idle.

Honestly, other than a couple maintenance items like struts, I haven't done much. Ball joints, sway bar linkages, even the front rotors are all original as far as I know. This car has been great (except for the handling. I hate not having IRS). I had to resolder the surface mounted resistors on the clock as many have. I had to replace the window run channels with the updated ones since the originals were trashed when I bought it.

The automatic tensioner for the accessory belt got sktechy around 120k, bouncing a bit and making some noise. I swapped it out around 140k. I put a Goodyear Gatorback belt on, never made a noise since.

My VVT mechanism has made all kinds of bad start-up rattle noises and ticking noises since day one but hasn't failed or set a CEL yet. I'm guessing it probably won't ever, and it seems to be a common problem and at the same time an uncommon point of failure for this engine anyway.

Last edited:
They just got back to me. TBN was 0.6. Talk about cutting it close. That oil was on its last leg (mile?). I guess that oil isn't cut out for extended runs after all.

They just got back to me. TBN was 0.6. Talk about cutting it close. That oil was on its last leg (mile?). I guess that oil isn't cut out for extended runs after all.

If you change the oil filter a little earlier, you can push further in the OCI extension. the new filter will help reduce the wear metals and silicon, all of which are a burden on the oil TBN level because they accelerate the oxidation as compared oxidation in fresh oil.

Fresh filter media will also absorb some of the extra acids, moisture and fuel from the used oil (regardless of what the UOA results say, moisture cannot be ZERO).

But first let us know your decision on the next oil brand/grade ? Is it going to be a 0w-20 or other ?

This will change my opinion on filter change intervals if you are extending the OCI beyond 9K or 10k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back