New Duramax Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what oil will be required in the new Duramax 2.8l? Some are speculating dexos 2 5w-30 but its got me curious. I figured id bring the question here to my fellow lubricant enthusiasts. I kinda like the idea of Rotella T5 myself but im sure thatll be too thick.

I realize it's probably 20 months away, but I'm excited to get the GMC Canyon. I'll probably pick one up immediately. If I could get a 4x4 diesel with a manual transmission, I'd be happy as a clam, although I imagine I'll have to settle for an AT.

Who wants to get the party started and yell at me for considering a fill of Rotella T6?

Maybe this will push Toyota into offering a diesel Tacoma or 4Runner stateside? I doubt it, but I'm hopeful anyhow. I like the diesel Ram 1500, but I wish they had gone with a big 4-cyl Cummins instead of the VM.

Im with ya lol. Im also psyched up for the canyon. Not so much the colorado tho. The twins are gonna be a game changer and hopefully light a fire under toyota and nissan.

Depends on the quality of the emissions equipment. If you look at the latest diesel pickup offerings, buying diesel doesn't make as much sense anymore. They end up costing more to own and operate than a gas model. The fuel mileage difference between the gas and diesel engines would have to be significant enough otherwise they won't sell very well.

Its about the towing power for me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Its about the towing power for me
smile.gif

Guessing you can't justify stepping up to a full size pickup? Not bashing, just curious.

I side with the idea that the game dynamics have changed considerably against diesel. I have been solidly diesel for a long time, but I just got a new Silverado last spring with a gas engine, because the cost/benefit just wasn't there for getting a diesel pickup. At least for me.

My semi, I did what I wish was available for those with pickups. I ordered a 2013 semi truck with no engine, and dropped in a factory rebuilt pre-emission engine in it. None of the emission stuff headaches, more efficient, and all legal. Since that is not an option with a new pickup, it is going to have to really work out in the numbers before I consider diesel again. I don't use the pickup for business, so just camping jaunts and pulling a horse trailer once a month is not enough to get me to go diesel. The largest gasser will do just fine. Heck, I can supercharge a gasser and get darn close to what a Dmax will do and do it a lot cheaper. After all, once you force feed air to the engine on both gas and diesel, the disparities are not as great. Obviously, engine for engine, the diesel should pull off a little better mpg and hit it's peak torque curve lower in the RPM band.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Correct. My wife has to be able to drive it and she refuses to drive anything bigger than a van. Lol

Completely understandable! [censored], the majority of the time, I can't justify having my trucks...but I do love them! I do haul my camper around 10-12 times a year though, as well as haul some of our other "toys" around. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back