Bentonite vs dispersed ceramic solids

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
ATE Plastilube (A brake grease used on calipers of certain types) is a mineral oil grease with bentonite clay. Bentonite is a silicate material, an impure variant of the Phyllosilicate Smectite group. This form of bentonite generally has magnesium sodium calcium or aluminum in with the silicate groups.

CRC silaramic is pure silicone with 15 to 30% solids dispersed in it. The solids portion is actually magnesium silicate and then something proprietary.

It's true that bentonite is a more complex chemical structure than a pure magnesium silicate (talc), but I'm curious if anybody knows if magnesium silicate is used as the material in any other greases. It appears that silicates must be used as the solid filler in silicon greases. http://article.sciencepublishinggroup.com/pdf/10.11648.j.ajac.20130101.12.pdf

Bentonite can hold a ton of liquid and I'd imagine that talc can as well. In fact for the silicone grease the solids may actually be somehow solubilized with the oil. That would not be the case with bentonite and mineral oil.

That's my questions are:

1) do silicate solids in silicone oil dissolve or disperse a different way as compared to something with low solubility like mineral oil in bentonite?

2) will the presence of other solids in a silicone Greece mimic the behavior of mineral oil in bentonite?

3) one of the benefits of bentonite is that is completely insoluble in water and is very very resistant to washing out. But isn't that also a strong point of using silicone greases?

4) any thoughts on if silicon grease with solids would be superior in terms of washout and dry out as compared to mineral oil with solids?

I'd love to determine if this ATE plastilub will perform better or worse then the CRC silaramic.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back