I sure hope none of you are stuck in ATL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
stupid people will still be stupid regardless of the facts.

So, southerners are stupid because they can't drive up a hill on ice?

I would lay 100% of the blame on them, it appears your Gov has accepted and on Fox news piece admitted he screwed up and apolagized.

The Mayor should have had contingency plans in place, ie cancel school that morning, hit the major roads with liquid( he just spent 2.5 million $ on additional equipment)which melts anything before the storm starts, used up here all the time.

The info was there the evening before, dont see why everyone was blaming the wether folks, you assume the worst case, I work for the electric utilty, when there is any chance of ice, we call in crews from outo of state and surrounding ares and go into rotation once storm starts (17 hrs on 7 off until everythign is repaired)just in case, we dont wait until last minute. Oh it is a career ending move if you dont put things in place and show a plan.

But this shows innept govenrment is.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
A 3 hour commute was condensed into 1 hour when schools and businesses sent everyone home at same time . Also it didn't help that hundreds of truckers tried to beat the storm through Atlanta. Salt trucks became blocked off as a result so ice formed on every road surface.

Overall I not blame the Governor or Mayor of Atlanta. They did the best they could with the information at the time.

The state treated a lot of roads early in the morning but everything re-froze in the afternoon.

Thankfully I was home just before traffic got bad.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: montero1
I saw not one plow.

They don't even have them.

Atlanta? Sure they do. The city invested in quite a bit of snow equipment after the 2011 snowstorm. If memory serves they had somewhere around 5 inches of snow, and it shut them down for 2 or 3 days. After that they invested in around 30 or 40 snow plows and quite a number of sand/salt spreaders.

You do know that 30-40 plows is something close to nothing, don't you?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: montero1
I saw not one plow.

They don't even have them.

Atlanta? Sure they do. The city invested in quite a bit of snow equipment after the 2011 snowstorm. If memory serves they had somewhere around 5 inches of snow, and it shut them down for 2 or 3 days. After that they invested in around 30 or 40 snow plows and quite a number of sand/salt spreaders.

You do know that 30-40 plows is something close to nothing, don't you?

Exactly. Back when I lived down east the microscopic town I lived in (had a population of about 100 people) had at LEAST 4 huge plows.

As far as blaming the weather folks, that's Bee-Ess. On my way down Monday morning, they called for a "slight chance of freezing rain". When I got there around 6:30pm, they called for 1-3 inches. On the local news, there was all this talking about forming storm "command centers"...... I remember thinking to myself " Jesus, aren't we over-reacting a bit?" .....guess I was wrong, but then I didn't know about the last storm that had killed the city, nor that they would not close the schools. Point is, it was known the night before that things could get bad for a town with limited resources for dealing with foul weather. They should have closed schools, and that decision alone would have lessened the chaos considerably.

I only had to sit on I-75 for three hours before I escaped past three jack-knifed trucks, then I had about three miles of a four lane sheet of ice all to myself before getting off in Kennesaw, where back in town, the traffic was half in the median, up on a sidewalk, or facing the wrong direction.

I could hear accidents happening behind me, even saw a couple happen. The police, with their Dodge Chargers, we're sliding, as were the Ambulances that I believe we're some type of Sprinters. The funniest thing I saw in Kennesaw, was a pickup truck filled with salt in the bed, and two guys throwing it out the back with small buckets. Classic.

Last edited:
I got caught up in this mess too. After leaving work it took me almost an hour and a half to go a mere 1/4 mile. I parked my truck at a local business and said screw this I'm walking home.
Took me two and a half hours to walk 7 miles home and that included a stop at a Quick Trip for hot chocolate. Thank goodness I was dressed warmly for a long walk.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
For Atlanta to get snow is a very rare event, so it's a huge deal. This winter storm is all I've seen on TWC lately.

But since I live in MT, I have to say, 1-2" did this?
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah, hard to believe just 2" of snow caused all of this havoc...ridiculous!

27.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

No, people are stupid for attempting to drive when roads are in a life threatening condition...I don't understand why people don't just stay home when the roads get like this...

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Scooby

Well, the weather forecast was that everything significant would be south of Atlanta.

Actually the local 11Alive meteorologist had revised that forecast around 3 AM Wed morning, as did the NWS, so folks were not paying close attention. I'm now living in upstate SC, but I was born in Maine, and when winter storms are approaching one thing you learn is to constantly stay alert for changes in the forecast. That morning before work and school people were NOT doing so.

Quote:

The problem was all the tractor trailers!! On I20, there would be one in each of the 3 lanes side by side, all three of them spinning and stopping traffic. This is what happened ALL OVER the metro area, well that and stupid drivers. The 18 wheelers were 99% of the problem!!

I agree about the semi trucks not being in the designated lanes. I'm pretty sure that most urban, and semi urban areas around the country now have restrictions on those trucks being in the left lane of any major highway.

Semis should not be on the roads period when the conditions are like this...

Originally Posted By: grampi

Why is it OK for people to drive to the mall in bad weather, but semis delivering the goods those people want aren't allowed to drive in bad weather? If you're all about safety, wouldn't it make more sense to just limit all driving in bad weather?

Originally Posted By: whip

Why is it OK for people to drive to the mall in bad weather, but semis delivering the goods those people want aren't allowed to drive in bad weather? If you're all about safety, wouldn't it make more sense to just limit all driving in bad weather?

That's fine with me...NOBODY should be out on the roads when they get this bad unless you're an emergency responder...

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

No, people are stupid for attempting to drive when roads are in a life threatening condition...I don't understand why people don't just stay home when the roads get like this...

Exactly I never once said I thing about southerners...

My area is known like all of the NE for massive amounts of snow & ice. Yet the dumbos I see on a daily basis with bald tires trying to drive around is ridiculous. In ATL there is no reason anyone should be out if they told you ice was coming and we aren't prepared for it.

I got pulled over by a cop for driving by him in the next lane because I was a little tired of being behind the front person who couldn't make it up the hill. Apparently when it snows the roads all become single lane demolition derby's or at least the officer would have you believe that. Just wait for the accident to happen not try and avoid it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Were you ticketed?

No because honestly what could I be ticketed for, avoiding a pending accident? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back