Engine Longevity - Dino vs Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know synthetic oil is superior to dino on a chemical level. But under normal operating conditions how much mileage could one squeeze out of a motor using either synthetic or dino?

How many miles have you guys gotten out of your engines?

I plan on analyzing the data and sharing my findings.

(If you could, please state whether or not your manual calls for the use of synthetic.)

-Thanks

Probably the same maximum engine life under normal conditions with frequent oil changes.

That said I'd still recommend you run a 5W-30 synthetic in your turbo Sonata, the turbo bearing should last longer.

In a well designed engine there might not be any difference.

On something like the Toyota 3.0 sludgers it might be the difference between 100,000 and 300,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
In a well designed engine there might not be any difference.

On something like the Toyota 3.0 sludgers it might be the difference between 100,000 and 300,000 miles.

You're on to something, there are a few other engines to add to that list. I won't mention them though not to offend anyone, or start a war.

How well is the PCV valve / PCV System maintained or replaced ?
Dino = 5,000 mile OCI ?
Synthetic = 7,500 mile OCI ?
Engine Design : Known to be robust OR a known sludger ?

In a car that's raced,etc on a regular basis,a top notch synth would probably extend engine life via better add pack imo.

Originally Posted By: Swift101

There are simply too many variables to make any sort of blanket statement or to draw any sort of conclusions. There are some engines in which synthetic is required or simply makes sense because of the design. In many engines plain old conventional works just fine, even for extended change intervals.

The type of driving done adds another huge variable. Almost all of my driving is done at 55 MPH for 20 minutes or more versus the other extreme of someone who drives almost all stop and go traffic for short trips. My engines will may well last longer even though I'm using conventional oil and doing fairly long change intervals. The person doing exclusively short stop and go trips may not get the same number of miles out of their engine even with a synthetic simply because of the type of driving done will wear out the rest of the car first. Someone living in a somewhat temperate climate may get much better life out of an engine than someone who lives in a climate with temperature extremes.

And to top it off, very few people actually wear out an engine. There are a few that do, but unless you only sample engines that have been run until they fail, any results will be meaningless.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Synthetic oil: Engine lasts until rest of car falls apart.
Dino oil: Engine lasts until rest of car falls apart.

01.gif

In a vehicle where synthetic and dino can both be used and is operated under normal conditions, I dont see how there could be any difference.

There are many variables, but I know quite a few people with cars with 250k+ miles and have used nothing but jiffy lube oils.

Plenty of cars with 200,000+ miles on exclusively dino oil. Regular changes is the name-of-the-game.

Your proposed study is hinged on the assumption that a car will be used until its engine wears out. Yet how do you account for other factors that will ultimately kill a car?

Rust?
Transmission?
Axels?

There are any number of components that can kill a car. With today's quality car and oil design, an appropriate answer is, "under normal operating conditions and OCI, an engine will last long enough for something else to go wrong with the car."

If you wish to proceed with your analysis, you will need a way to control for these factors.

We all know synthetic oil is superior to dino on a chemical level. But under normal operating conditions how much mileage could one squeeze out of a motor using either synthetic or dino?

(If you could, please state whether or not your manual calls for the use of synthetic.)

-Thanks

1886 Yugo dino oils: went to junk yard due to accident at 50,000 miles
1982 Datsun dino oils: went to junk yard due to rust and carb problems at 140,000 miles
1984 Renault dino oils: went to junk yard due to rust and brake problems at 120,000 miles
1990 Nissan dino oils: gave away for free due to AT problems at 100,000 miles
1992 Mazda dino oils: traded in at 120,000 miles due to AC problems at 120,000 miles
2000 Subaru mostly synthetic oils: went to junk yard due to accident at 60,000 miles
2003 Toyota with mostly dino oils: went to junk yard due to accident at 90,000 miles

None of the cars had engine problems.

Conclusions: oil type had no impact whatsoever on car longevity.

I can't help but read the above quote and sing the well know children's song: "B-I-N-G-O"

While it might not be a perfect comparison, I have two vehicles as my daily rides with radically different back grounds that speaks to your question.

1993 Ford Taurus GL - 3.0 V-6 with auto tranny. I bought this car used with 120,000 miles on it from a fellow who goes to my Church. He bought it brand new back in '93 and had all the service records for this car, (files of them) which he gave me when I bought the car, (purchased for $1,000). As I went through these files, I discovered he had the oil changed every 3,000 miles using Mobile 1 full synthetic motor oil. Looking down the oil filler hole, the motor looked shiny and new.

Since that faithful day, I have replaced: Alternator, starter, inner and outer tie rods, radiator, fuel pump, brakes, various switches inside the car, (heat, air, blower motor), spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, hoses, and water pump. (I should also mention painting the car with a gallon of rustolem because the original paint was peeling and staring to rust). The car currently has a little over 160,000 miles on it and has tranny issues. The interior strongly resembles the "Last of the V-8 interceptors" in "The Road Warrior."

Since I've owned the ever popular "Bluesmobile" I've changed the oil every 5,000 miles or once year, (which ever came first) with whatever dino oil I happened to have, (currently running on Delo 15W40).

Car number two, (which I actually drive more cuz it hauls all my tools and has a trailer hitch) is a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 3.1 V-6 automatic tranny 152,500 miles. I bought this car from my neighbor with 130,000 miles on the clock. Previous owner changed the oil whenever he felt like it which was when the weather was nice, the fish weren't biting or the Packers weren't playing somewhere or when there wasn't a baseball game with the New York Yankees. On the great occasion when he did change the oil, he used whatever dino was on sale. Since I've owned the car, I've changed the oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles using whatever dino oil I had sitting on the shelf, (current fill is Delo 15W40). Since I've owned the car, the only thing I've done to it, (aside from oil and oil filter), is change the air filter and one light bulb on the tag light. I paid $800 dollars for this car.

Both cars run well, (except the Olds is now burping on occasion). Neither use or burn oil. I fully expect to get over 200,000 miles on both engines, (baring tranny failure on the Ford - and then I'll throw a new tranny in it).

For me and based on my own personal experience with both these vehicles, I think dino does a great job doing what it's suppose to do.

I could, for an extreme example, throw in the soon to be world famous "Luv" machine as an engine example of durability using not only dino, but used dino at that. Granted, I'm sure there was a time when it had fresh oil changes, but not in the eight years I've owned it.

Agreed.

My 1994 LS400 has more than 350k miles, the engine is running well, it may needed to change the passenger valve cover gasket for the first time in a near future, it has a small leak around valve cover. The rest of the car is falling apart.

It had dino synthetic dino with synthetic OCI's double dino and 1 cheapo oil filter per year.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

-Thanks

1886 Yugo dino oils: went to junk yard due to accident at 50,000 miles
1982 Datsun dino oils: went to junk yard due to rust and carb problems at 140,000 miles
1984 Renault dino oils: went to junk yard due to rust and brake problems at 120,000 miles
1990 Nissan dino oils: gave away for free due to AT problems at 100,000 miles
1992 Mazda dino oils: traded in at 120,000 miles due to AC problems at 120,000 miles
2000 Subaru mostly synthetic oils: went to junk yard due to accident at 60,000 miles
2003 Toyota with mostly dino oils: went to junk yard due to accident at 90,000 miles

None of the cars had engine problems.

Conclusions: oil type had no impact whatsoever on car longevity.

I had an 1886 Yugo once.
grin.gif

Last edited:

-Thanks

Sadly I don't have any vehicles I've driven until they've finally given up, but I'll list what I own in the hopes that it helps
wink.gif

1992 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6: 228,000 miles, strictly petroleum oil; still currently in use

1995 Honda Accord LX 2.2 I4: 156,000 miles, previous owner to 105,000 mi. utilized petroleum oil, since I've owned (51K) strictly synthetic oil; still currently in use

I dont think the oil type matters all that much as long as you are running the right oil for the car. The main thing is keep It changed and keep all the other maintenance up and fix problems as soon as they arise instead of letting them compound.
If your smart enough to pull over when you loose oil pressure or your coolant temp pegs out the car will be there for you a long time.
That being said, the highest mileage I have personally seen was 380k on a dodge truck. The only is a retired mechanic and has only used conventional. Its still running today. To date it has had 2 transmissions, 1 rear end rebuild, 2 water pumps and fan clutches and one high volume oil pump installed. Although its wore, it still has 40 pounds of oil pressure at idle with the new pump and 20W50. Doesn't smoke at all.

I hope to see that kind of service from mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back