Altternative to OEM Mann filter for an Audi 2.7t

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been afraid to deviate from the stock Mann filter (077 115 561 J) for my Audi 2.7t motor as I understand Audi uses a high-pressure oil pump that places unusual demands on a filter, such as necessitating a higher-sprung bypass valve.

Has anyone had experience with non-oem filters in this or similar VAG motors?

OEM filter is the Mann 930/21, correct?

You can use either the Wix 51355 or the Purolator L25401.

For some reason, the filter specified changed between the 98-99 and the 00-0x years.

The 98 and 99 models (I don't recall the 2.7T being availible in 98 and 99, but the 2.8 uses the same filter as the 2.7T. the 4.2 uses an entirely diff filter) use the Purolator L30257 or Wix 51191. The only difference I can really discern is that the 98-99 filters are a bit longer than the 00-0x filters, but they have the same thread and very close gasket diameters and bypass settings.

Maybe there is less space on the 00-0x years and thats why a shorter filter is specified in the aftermarket. I do know that the Mann 930/21 filter is specified for all 98-0x 2.8, 3.0 and 2.7T.

I've used the Amsoil SDF oil filters in six VW/Audi engines since 1980 - over 500,000 miles in all.
Their bypass setting are lower than the OEM filters, but if you are running low viscosity synthetics, I don't think this matters at all. Part of the high bypass setting is that German car manufacturers have traditionally recommmended thicker 15w-40 and 20w-50 grades, even for fairly cold weather. So you'd have very high oil pressure on startup under those conditions.

The Amsoil SDF 15/34/42 filters will fit most of these engines, depending on the specific model.
Of course, they aren't any less expensive than the OEM Vw/Audi oil filters, which are also of excellent quality.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

If its made by Mann, Mahle or Hengst. Then you have a very high quality oil filter. I would just stick to OEM.

Being a Volvo nut, I say go with OEM Mann. I even tried the Amsoil SDF-42 on my newer Volvo, and I didn't like the cold start flow noises....back to Mann and all was better.

They aren't that expensive and they have racked up many, many, many miles with zero issues.

Why are you shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back