Trigger on Glocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shopping small pistols. Mostly .380s, some .32s, and some 9s. One of the guns I've come across is the new Glock 42. I held one at a local gun shop. Nice piece, really.

But I have the same hesitation on it as I have on every other Glock I've held or shot. The trigger pull is quite light for my comfort level. I don't care all that much for manual safeties, especially with quick-draw personal defense pistols. I like the double action type pistols here.

I'm sure I'm the only guy who's ever asked this, but is there a way to "tighten" up a Glock trigger, to add some weight to it? I like most other things about them (Glocks), but I just can't get comfortable with that relatively light trigger.

Thoughts?

Taking apart a Glock and replacing the trigger mechanism is pretty simple.

You can order the parts online and a qualified Glock armorer can do it in about 1 minute, or the armorer can provide the parts himself.

It will take longer for you to pay for the service.

Lots and lots of choices out there right now.

Academy Sports & Outdoors has a Taurus PT738 TCP .380 ACP Semiautomatic Pistol for $199.99. Taurus has a lifetime warranty.

A local gun shop Southern Outdoor Sports has the same firearm at the same price.

I know of three folks that have them for daily carry and have had no issues with them.

Its not so much light as it is short just like many striker fired guns. That is why you will shoot them so well compared to double action.
Never carry one without a proper holster and keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on a target.
I have a couple glocks for ccw and also a double action only sig250. Depending on the situation I will carry the sig sometimes if I expect to handle the weapon much without a holster. However I cant shoot the sig quite as well.

It is possible to change the trigger mechanism on a Glock. Back east in some state in the north eastern USA the police are required to have a heavy trigger squeeze on their Glocks. I have a Glock and I don't like the heavy trigger squeeze. Like the guy said above if you keep your trigger finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot you don't have to worry very much about an accidental shot.

It is also possible to have a very light trigger squeeze on a Glock. That is for competition guns and is dangerous. When I bought my Glock a range instructor checked it to be sure I had not changed the trigger to a lighter pull.

A Glock is one of the easiest guns to work on although you should go to a gunsmith for work on the trigger mechanism. I personally have disassembled the slide of a Glock myself and put it back together. There is a book you can get that shows you exactly how to disassemble a Glock handgun.

I have had a SIG also and they are nice guns as well. But I don't like the heavy double action of the first shot. Of course depending on what SIG you have you can pull the hammer back just like on a revolver.

I have a .40 Cal Glock. I do not like the high pressure .40 round. I think the best semi-autos are 9mm, .45, and of course .38 Super. And for smaller guns the .380.

Last edited:
NY Trigger (captive orange insert) is IIRC 12lb pull. This is just my opinion, but if the 5.5lb stock trigger is too heavy I'd rethink the whole process. Heavier than 6lbs begins to torque most shooters wrists and you end up concentrating more on the pull than the front site.

Another option, but ti takes a good number of practive rounds to build muscle memory, is any of the Sig Sauer's or H&K's (I mention them as I'm very familiar with them) in SA/DA arrangement. First pull is around 12lb and remaining shots are 5-6lbs.

The G42 is a bit different than other Glocks, and given how new it is, I can't say if the NY1, NY2 or "+" connectors will work with it. But for other Glocks such as the 26 or 19, it's easy to switch from a ~5lb trigger to a ~12lb trigger. Like 5 minutes with a punch easy.

I tried a NY1 spring in my G26 and took it out PDQ. It did what it said it would do: make the trigger heavier. It made shooting more difficult, so out it went.

Yeah, one of the reasons people like the 1911 .45 is because it is single action. A Glock does have a kind of strange trigger squeeze you have to get used to. But it is a very, very nice gun in a lot of other ways. When I first heard of Glocks a long time ago I thought they were a joke. But they really are some of the very best handguns.

I wish I had bought a 9mm Glock instead of a .40. The .40 high pressure round is a piece of trash in my opinion. For a semi auto I would much prefer either 9mm or .45.

I have a S&W M&P 9mm also. It also is a very nice gun and I like the trigger squeeze better. In some ways Glocks are better and in some ways the S&W M&P is better.

I keep my .40 Glock because I have six high capacity magazines and in Colorado now they limit how many rounds you can have in a magazine for new magazines. I might sell my 9mm S&W M&P someday and keep the high capacity magazines. I have put thousands of rounds through that 9mm S&W. And then I would buy a new S&W M&P 9mm.

A person can get a .45 SIG for a pretty decent price compared to 1911 .45s. I think it is the P227. Here in Colorado people might as well go back to .357 revolvers and .45s because they limit magazine capacity anyway. I have owned a 9mm SIG and I was taking a pretty good look at that P227. I know the SIG pretty well. I have shot several 1911 .45s but I have never actually owned one. And a good one is expensive. I think soldiers should have the 1911 .45 but I would not mind a SIG .45 myself. You can get a Glock .45 but I would prefer a Glock in 9mm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Another option, but ti takes a good number of practive rounds to build muscle memory, is any of the Sig Sauer's or H&K's (I mention them as I'm very familiar with them) in SA/DA arrangement. First pull is around 12lb and remaining shots are 5-6lbs.

Well, this is how my full-size 9mm works. I recently bought a CZ P-09 and it has a DA/SA trigger system. I like how I can de-cock the gun for a heavier first pull. And then it's single action after that.

I think I'm probably uncomfortable with the Glock trigger because I'm not yet used to carrying and holstering a gun. I like the longer trigger pulls, though not necessarily heavier, because it's supposed to prevent accidental discharges if the trigger catches on anything going into or out of a holster (clothing, etc). I know that Glocks have the trigger safety, and I need to learn to trust the engineering behind that product.

My neighbor just bought a used 3rd gen G22 and brought it over to show me. The trigger pull is actually heavier than I recall, but it is pretty short. I don't know. Maybe I just need to shoot them more.

This is why I like the Walther p99 with the Anti Stress trigger system. It is kind of the best of both worlds (Glock style pre cock and DA/SA) in one gun.

I found that training to shoot in DA mode made me a better shooter. Really makes you hone your trigger technique. Took me quite a bit of 38 special in my Ruger Security Six, but now I shoot much better with any semi auto as well.

I think I'm probably uncomfortable with the Glock trigger because I'm not yet used to carrying and holstering a gun. I like the longer trigger pulls, though not necessarily heavier, because it's supposed to prevent accidental discharges if the trigger catches on anything going into or out of a holster (clothing, etc). I know that Glocks have the trigger safety, and I need to learn to trust the engineering behind that product.[color:#FF0000]
[/color]

That was my point about a good holster. you should use a paddle or IWB with clip so you remove and replace the holster and gun together as a unit when you are done for the day..If you want to practice drawing do so unloaded.

Most of the time when you hear of an AD its when reholstering and something gets caught in the trigger.

There is always the PPK.

No way will you ever accidentally pull the trigger on one in DA.

I prefer the .32 over the .380.

Originally Posted By: Win

I prefer the .32 over the .380.

So does the person you are shooting. The 32ACP, even with good JHP ammo is pretty darn weak. I have a Manurhin (french made Walther PP) in 32acp and can attest the old Walthers have about an 18lb DA pull.

I've been doing some reading on the .32 ACP, and it seems that most agree that a simple FMJ round is optimal, and that a JHP isn't as effective in this smaller load. My pocket pistol is a Kel-tec P-32; it's very easy to shoot and get repeated hits on target, and with the factory 10-round mags, you have a lot of capacity in such a small package.

The FMJ will have about more weight, but usually less velocity. I think depending on the gun you are using and the brand of ammo the JHP may give you expansion or it may not. I think a pistol with a longer barrel (Walther pp, older Brownings, Colt 1903) will be better suited for JHP ammo if they feed reliably.

A micro 32acp gun...probably want one of the hotter FMJ rounds like what Seller and Belloit sell.

But ammo capacity or not, its a marginal round at best for putting down a baddy.

Yes, it's certainly not a "hit him at 10 yards and knock him down" gun. A P-32 is a thin-enough-so-you-have-it-anywhere sort of gun. Not the type that I'd carry into battle, but one I can keep on walks and trips to the mall with shorts on and keep the purse-snatchers at bay. Then again, there are some who carry a battle gun where ever they go, assuming they'll have to use it.

I'm sure I'll upgrade caliber as I get more comfortable carrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back