Upper cylinder lube vs. oil additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triton_330
UNLESS... Do you think that there actually is something wrong?

Obviously, something isn't right. I'm assuming there are no apparent issues indicating low oil pressure, and this is solely a sender/gauge issue.

Does the PEA offer something that using tc-w3 and MMO doesn't offer?

Documented proof of efficacy. http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/S1-1 Tech Info.pdf

The idea here is to use a PEA-based product to get everything clean, and then use TC-W3 which should keep new deposits from forming, while offering the benefit of fuel system lubrication.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

How do you know you have low oil pressure? Have you actually hooked up a mechanical gauge to test, or relying upon what you have to make an assessment?

Well, I'd assume if it didn't have pressure, I would be able to hear/feel/realize that my truck is running badly. But, it was running seemingly fine, no oddball noises, normal throttle response, etc... I don't think I'd have been able to drive a mile without incidence if there was a serious lack of pressure.

UNLESS... Do you think that there actually is something wrong?

Obviously, something isn't right. I'm assuming there are no apparent issues indicating low oil pressure, and this is solely a sender/gauge issue.

So, if this is true - that it's a sender/guage issue - need I worry? Or not?

Documented proof of efficacy. http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/S1-1 Tech Info.pdf

The idea here is to use a PEA-based product to get everything clean, and then use TC-W3 which should keep new deposits from forming, while offering the benefit of fuel system lubrication.

Hmmm... Well, I will use it sometime just to see what happens. I don't doubt it works, as a simple glance at the link was enough, but MMO is cheaper ounce per ounce. But, like I said, sometime in the future I'll run some, in combo with the tc-w3.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

PEA is a proven product for cleaning combustion chamber deposits,I don't know that either mmo or tc-w3 have that property and clean when burned.
Tc-w3 and mmo will basically do the same thing in a nutshell and to be honest mixing a fuel additive that contains pea with tc-w3 would accomplish a few things,a multi-purpose additive.
The labels claim amines in the products.
I mixed a bottle of their fuel system/octane booster with some motomaster tc-w3 and added it to this latest fill up today.
I can't say I notice anything different.
I've got mmo in an inverse oiler on my charger.
Its funny. When that inverse oiler gets completely drained I can feel slightly less pep in the pedal when operating at light pedal pressures. It's almost like the engine has just that bit more "snap" with mmo in the inverse oiler.

Like I said, I do believe that it works... but what are amines? And as for your inverse oiler --- So, you run all 3 (PEA, tc-w3, and MMO) at once? I wouldn't mind trying that, but TBH, I really don't have the money for doing it habitually. I mean, haha, I'm in college.

It's not exactly ideal, is it.

but MMO is cheaper ounce per ounce.

I'd certainly hope so. Have you bothered taking a look at the MSDS for MMO? Remember as well that the PEA product isn't for continual usage in this application, but solely to get everything clean (as a good starting point).

With that said, don't get carried away with additives -- spend time making sure all the various vehicle systems/components have been serviced and are operating properly.

It's not exactly ideal, is it.

but MMO is cheaper ounce per ounce.

I'd certainly hope so. Have you bothered taking a look at the MSDS for MMO? Remember as well that the PEA product isn't for continual usage in this application, but solely to get everything clean (as a good starting point).

With that said, don't get carried away with additives -- spend time making sure all the various vehicle systems/components have been serviced and are operating properly.

Oh dear... believe me, if my truck was having problems I'd know it. It could well just be the blistering cold. I never have any oil pressure warnings during the spring, summer, or fall - but in the winter if it gets cold enough, then I would expect the blood (oil) to be a little thick, no? So, I am not worried by it.

And when did I ever give the implication that I was going to get carried away with additives? I'm not. I don't have the money to do it in the first place even if I wanted to (but I don't want to).

As for spending time making sure everything is serviced and whatnot... I am constantly doing that. Both out of OCD, and because I'm a gearhead and I just like doing it.

So, no worries on any of the above.

Anyway - yes, I have seen MMO's MSDS. I know that the PEA is stronger, better stuff, but I have experience with MMO and I trust it. What are all the brands of PEAs out there? As far as some quick googling has showed me, it seems like Gumout, STP, Lucas, Star Tron, Techron, Bardahl, Amsoil, Redline, and even Valvoline all offer a fuel additive with PEA in it. I'd bet there's even more than that, too. So, following that, it seems like there's quite a few options to choose from when buying some PEA...

Its funny. When that inverse oiler gets completely drained I can feel slightly less pep in the pedal when operating at light pedal pressures. It's almost like the engine has just that bit more "snap" with mmo in the inverse oiler.

It's not a good idea to leave it drained. It wears the metering seat in the oiler and disturbs the engine vacuum (as in 'leak'). If you are out of MMO or whatever, then disconnect the oiler and plug the hose to the engine.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Clevy:

What type or style of inverse oiler are you using? Pics would be helpful (if available).

+1

Originally Posted By: dave5358

It's not a good idea to leave it drained. It wears the metering seat in the oiler and disturbs the engine vacuum (as in 'leak'). If you are out of MMO or whatever, then disconnect the oiler and plug the hose to the engine.[/

I've learned to fill it every 2 weeks. At that point there's maybe 1/2 quart left in the tank. It holds 2 quarts.

147_Grain said:
Clevy:

What type or style of inverse oiler are you using? Pics would be helpful (if available).

+1

I don't know how to posts pics here but if you inbox me your email addy I can snap a pic and send it to you.

I've learned to fill it every 2 weeks. At that point there's maybe 1/2 quart left in the tank. It holds 2 quarts.

Clevy:

I don't know how to posts pics here but if you inbox me your email addy I can snap a pic and send it to you.

If it holds two quarts, you're using a model TU:

marvel_tu.jpg

I intend on going home this weekend, so once I use up the fuel I have now (that I added MMO to), I will use the tc-w3 when I fill back up. (I'm in college - my home is about 1.5 hours away from campus, so I think I should be able to use enough of the fuel to be able to fill up and put in the tc-w3 for the ride back to campus). Would you rather me post the results in this thread, or just send you a PM, Clevy? I'd be fine doing either one. It'll likely be Sunday or Monday when I report back about it.

Well, bad news... Weather strikes again, and I am not able to go home this weekend. It has snowed and sleeted at a minimum of 2 inches in some areas, and a maximum of 8 inches in the areas between my campus and my home. Add to that the fact that I'm 67 miles away from home, I'm not about to risk it. Especially when considering the ESDA (I have a free text msg subscription to my local ESDA) sends a text saying that travel is hazardous and is not advised. I will have to wait to tell you guys my results with the quicksilver tc-w3 until I'm able to get on the roads long enough for anything to report.

Originally Posted By: dave5358

Clevy:

If it holds two quarts, you're using a model TU:

marvel_tu.jpg

I have two of these, one is currently not in use but will be soon. I've had them since about 1984 and never had a problem with either one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back