03 Forester 2.5L - Mobil 1 0w30 5,200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 2.5L Non Turbo
M1 0w30 5,200 miles
No makeup oil.

Background. Picked up this car with 132k on it. It had new HG's replaced, o2 sensor, ECU, plugs and a new connecting rod and exhaust valve from water getting into the engine. It wasn't much, but enough to cause a rod to bend.

Car runs GREAT now. Quiet as can be. However, I am concerned about the Chromium, which indicates some possible ring wear. This is a base line report. I installed a Fumoto so sampling will be easy. I'm going to resample around 3-5k and take it from there.....

I'm hoping the Chromium drops in time and is just from the engine work that was done.

Alumunum: 6
Chromium: 15
Iron: 26
Copper: 7
Lead: 3
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 81
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 2
Boron: 54
Silicon: 15
Sodium: 6
Calcium: 1105
Magnesium: 658
Phosphorus: 624
Zinc: 712
Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 58.7
cSt Viscosity @ 100C: 9.86
Flashpoint: 425F
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.2
TBN: 3.3

*Car is now filled with a 50/50 mix of M1 EP/HM 5w30. I may end up going to all HM to up the cleaning ability a tad.

Im hoping the Cr is from the new rod or exhaust valve. If not, I have a piston issue going on.

Was this the first oil run after the repair?

I'm think the Cr might be left over from damage/new part wear in. If it is the same or lower ppm for the next change, I don't think I'd worry.

No it was the second fill.
frown.gif
I drained the fill after the work about 500 miles later.

I have almost 3k on the M1 5w30 fill, so in 2k more miles I will resample (Fumoto) and see where it stands...

A fumoto sample will be dirty as well, buy a pump with hose & do a dipstick hole sample so you're not getting the bottom of the sump.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Bummer about the chromium. I hope it drops by a factor of 15 next time so it reaches a typical value.

Me too! LOL I am definitely concerned about it. Only time will tell. I have about 2.5k miles to go before the next sample.

I've had A LOT of fun with this car. More than any previous car I've owned. I've only had it for about 7 months. I may stick with Subaru after this and go for an XV/Forester or WRX. The AWD really appeals to me.

I was in the Pine Barrens Saturday, beach Sunday and a snow storm on Tuesday. It was great. It handled everything amazingly well. Snow tires do help although they are pretty worn and ix2's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back