how long between oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2011 Kawi Ninja 1K (not the super sport ZX-10R bike). Manual says to replace oil at least once/year. The oil is Rotella T6 full synthetic, it's been in there almost a year, but only a little more than 1,000 miles.

Seems like a waste to change it, but I'm not sure I should let it go any longer than recommended.
8856863543_d3eb7791c4_o.jpg

Last edited:
I am a short miler some years as well. I usually change once a year or every 15 months. I would change it at 12-15 months.

Last edited:
No need to change at 1000 miles. The one year mfgr recommendation is more a CYA move so people don't leave the oil go for 5 years. I change my 1100 V star at 2500 miles

How did you accumulate those 1000 miles? 500 two mile trips? Change the oil. Two 500 mile trips?...good for another year.

Dude----ride more.

Very nice looking scoot.

I'd change it now. $21 and change for the oil and a few $$ for the filter. Cheap insurance.

Back when i was a motorbike courier in the early 90s we used to change oil every 1000 miles. But lots of bikes then only had a gauze screen filter rather than a proper filter.

If i had a nice bike like that it would get an annual change with the best oil i could afford.

My X Max 250 used to get an oil change every 1000 miles or so. Again it only had a gauze screen filter.

I always feel oil works hard on a motorbike or scooter due to high revs and small sump.

Last edited:
What no recommendation to do a UOA.

Do a UOA, see how the oil is holding up. Seems common for many bikes to fuel dilute the oil and and shear down.

At least with the UOA you could get the info to form a educated guess at future OCIs.

Originally Posted By: topsy
I've got a 2011 Kawi Ninja 1K (not the super sport ZX-10R bike). Manual says to replace oil at least once/year. The oil is Rotella T6 full synthetic, it's been in there almost a year, but only a little more than 1,000 miles.

Seems like a waste to change it, but I'm not sure I should let it go any longer than recommended.

Diesel oils have high TBN to combat acids. Because of this, they make excellent extended drain oils. T6 is no exception. It's a robust oil and will continue to protect your engine after 1, 2 and even 3 years at that rate of riding! If it were mine, I'd change at 2 years, and if you are really curious, perform a UOA with TBN. I'll bet a dollar you'll be pleasantly surprised at the TBN retention. (UOA not really necessary, as TBN will be just fine)

T6 does shear a bit in motorcycle engines (as do nearly all oils) , so 2500 miles is about the right time to change in trans shared sump engines.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I will most likely go ahead and change it for peace of mind. I typically ride more than this, but family obligations were very high last year, and will probably be so the next year or two. I typically ride for at least an hour-at-a-time.

can't speak for the OP's machine, but Honda sets a long OCI for the 2006 Shadow Aero 750 I recently bought; using 'OEM' oil & filter (Honda conventional 10w-40 motorcycle oil and Honda oil filter <--- a very, very well built filter) the OCI is 8,000 miles; I feel that is way too much and plan on 2500-3500 miles using a synthetic blend oil (Suzuki Boulevard 10w-40) or well respected conventional (Rotella T 15w-40 hdeo or Valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle oil) and a decent filter (Purolator standard # 16412???);

Since you in Georgia, I'd be running Rotella 15w40 before T6 synthetic. Way more shear stable. You don't need cold start protection down south.

I'm a big fan of changing oil OFTEN in two-wheeled, high revving machines.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Originally Posted By: Phishin
You don't need cold start protection down south.

Things are changing!

until the jet stream changes its flow pattern its gonna be cold down south!

I change my oil and filter once a year regardless of how many miles I ride. I typically put on about 3K a year, but one year I actually did about 6300...the oil can handle it no problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back