by scott37300
Today at 10:38 AM
Cultured Marble Help
by Smoky14
Today at 10:31 AM
99 VW Auto fluid change
by scott37300
Today at 10:30 AM
looks I need of new struts, what to choose?
by KrisZ
Today at 10:24 AM
Newest Members
potodds, rawd, zchen32, srkandel, LarryHill
49614 Registered Users
Who's Online
99 registered (901Memphis, Analyzer, 86cutlass307, 97prizm, 01_celica_gt, 10 invisible), 2130 Guests and 227 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
49614 Members
64 Forums
212050 Topics
3323700 Posts

Max Online: 2551 @ 04/05/14 01:28 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 11 of 13 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#3264363 - 01/29/14 09:46 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
TiredTrucker Offline

Loc: Kellogg, IA
Ok. The pass a law to jam cell phones when the car is started. I will contact one of the hackers over at the University to put a patch in the cell phone so that it doesn't jam when the car starts. This should be an easy work around. Oh, and that would be against the law? So is deleting EGR, SCR, DPF stuff from diesel engines, but it gets done all the time.

Also, I can just use a CB or FM carrier 2 way radio like in the past. So much for hands free like I could do with a cell phone. So, the law will do nothing. Absolutely nothing. When you place a restriction, folks will find a way to circumvent it. Only those that have no tech background can't see that it is a exercise in futility to mandate that some jammer type of feature be used on cell phones.

Ok, Mr. LOL. All those years before cell phones, those years weren't riskier? For whom? How about the patient that died because someone could not contact the doctor who was driving on his way home? How about, in my previous example, I couldn't get a call from the wife that cattle got out, and since there was no way for me to know that cattle had gotten onto the road, a motorist caps the hill and puts an 800 lb steer thru their windshield. Sure there were beepers and such for someone like the doctor, but he still had to locate a pay phone (remember those) and call in. And minutes count when it comes to life or death. If he was on a rural road, it might be some time before he could get to a phone.

So, thing weren't riskier? Maybe in your sanitized tight nit world. There are myriads of examples where cell phones have saved lives that would have been lost in the years we didn't have them. Just being able to call, while driving, about the drunk driver weaving in the lane in front of you, putting people in danger. How about seeing someone across the road go into the ditch, but it is unsafe, due to traffic for you to stop right then and call, so you call on the cell phone while you are still moving. I have done that one frequently during the winter months while driving my semi. Kinda hard to just stop 80,000 lb of truck on ice without endangering others, but I can at least put a call in to the local cop shop and let them know.

I realize that folks under 30 have a hard time grasping what things were like before cell phones, laptop computers, and other tech marvels. But those that are not suffering from Mad Cow and can still remember the "good 'ol days", if they put things in perspective, they would realize that we are much better off, in general, having this technology available. And with anything, there comes personal responsibility. But this mindset that we must have the government protect us from ourselves, I have a real hard time understanding it.

#3264641 - 01/30/14 09:02 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: TiredTrucker]
whip Offline

Loc: ohio
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
So, the law will do nothing. Absolutely nothing. When you place a restriction, folks will find a way to circumvent it.

Just ask all of the illegal pot smokers. Right, Grampi!

This is the point where Grampi calls you ridiculous and refuses to address the legitimate points you've brought up because he has no answer for them.

#3265647 - 01/31/14 08:11 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: TiredTrucker]
grampi Offline

Loc: OH
Ok. The pass a law to jam cell phones when the car is started. I will contact one of the hackers over at the University to put a patch in the cell phone so that it doesn't jam when the car starts. This should be an easy work around. Oh, and that would be against the law? So is deleting EGR, SCR, DPF stuff from diesel engines, but it gets done all the time.

Also, I can just use a CB or FM carrier 2 way radio like in the past. So much for hands free like I could do with a cell phone. So, the law will do nothing. Absolutely nothing. When you place a restriction, folks will find a way to circumvent it. Only those that have no tech background can't see that it is a exercise in futility to mandate that some jammer type of feature be used on cell phones.

Ok, Mr. LOL. All those years before cell phones, those years weren't riskier? For whom? How about the patient that died because someone could not contact the doctor who was driving on his way home? How about, in my previous example, I couldn't get a call from the wife that cattle got out, and since there was no way for me to know that cattle had gotten onto the road, a motorist caps the hill and puts an 800 lb steer thru their windshield. Sure there were beepers and such for someone like the doctor, but he still had to locate a pay phone (remember those) and call in. And minutes count when it comes to life or death. If he was on a rural road, it might be some time before he could get to a phone.

So, thing weren't riskier? Maybe in your sanitized tight nit world. There are myriads of examples where cell phones have saved lives that would have been lost in the years we didn't have them. Just being able to call, while driving, about the drunk driver weaving in the lane in front of you, putting people in danger. How about seeing someone across the road go into the ditch, but it is unsafe, due to traffic for you to stop right then and call, so you call on the cell phone while you are still moving. I have done that one frequently during the winter months while driving my semi. Kinda hard to just stop 80,000 lb of truck on ice without endangering others, but I can at least put a call in to the local cop shop and let them know.

I realize that folks under 30 have a hard time grasping what things were like before cell phones, laptop computers, and other tech marvels. But those that are not suffering from Mad Cow and can still remember the "good 'ol days", if they put things in perspective, they would realize that we are much better off, in general, having this technology available. And with anything, there comes personal responsibility. But this mindset that we must have the government protect us from ourselves, I have a real hard time understanding it.

In all of your examples, a cell phone with a jammer could've been used by simply stopping the vehicle and turning off the ignition...there would never be a circumstance where this couldn't be done, so again I will ask, why is it necessary to use a cell phone WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING?

#3265648 - 01/31/14 08:13 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: whip]
grampi Offline

Originally Posted By: whip
So, the law will do nothing. Absolutely nothing. When you place a restriction, folks will find a way to circumvent it.

This is the point where Grampi calls you ridiculous and refuses to address the legitimate points you've brought up because he has no answer for them.

Why don't you just go back under your bridge?...you never have anything constructive to say anyway...

#3265751 - 01/31/14 10:07 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
whip Offline

Originally Posted By: grampi

Why don't you just go back under your bridge?...you never have anything constructive to say anyway...

Not true. I've brought up numerous valid points to discuss, and you've ignored most of them. Just because we see things differently, doesn't mean it's not constructive.

#3265753 - 01/31/14 10:10 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
whip Offline

In all of your examples, a cell phone with a jammer could've been used by simply stopping the vehicle and turning off the ignition...there would never be a circumstance where this couldn't be done, so again I will ask, why is it necessary to use a cell phone WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING?

What are people supposed to do for incoming calls? The cattle situation that was brought up, how would people get a hold of him if he doesn't pull over and check his phone?

What about people riding in a bus? They wouldn't be able to make calls with your jammer theory.

#3265759 - 01/31/14 10:16 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
whip Offline

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

You are in favor of banning motorcycles, then?

More ridiculousness...how many people die on motorcycles each year and how many people die due to cell phone use while driving each year...enough said on that...

Motorcycle deaths for 2011 were 4612.

Cell phone related auto accident deaths. 3285

Alcohol related deaths are over 75,000.

Who's being ridiculous?

Edited by whip (01/31/14 10:20 AM)

#3265883 - 01/31/14 12:40 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: whip]
SteveSRT8 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida

Even Grampi would have to admit he responded EXACTLY as you said! Hilarious...
4340 pounds, Street tires
Just like we go to Publix

#3265954 - 01/31/14 02:00 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
Smoky14 Offline

Loc: Nowhere NM
Since you are both buckeyes, get together and duke it out.

#3266110 - 01/31/14 04:55 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
97f150 Offline

Loc: Southeast Louisiana
Yup, once again Grampi proves that he is Grumpy as well

#3266575 - 02/01/14 07:59 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: whip]
grampi Offline

[quote=grampi]What are people supposed to do for incoming calls? The cattle situation that was brought up, how would people get a hold of him if he doesn't pull over and check his phone?

What about people riding in a bus? They wouldn't be able to make calls with your jammer theory.

Again, I think we need to go back to priorities. What's more important, making the roads safer by trying to deal with a problem that's now more dangerous than drunk driving, or making sure that Mary Ann can discuss her latest recipe while riding on the bus? There would obviously be exceptions for those who actually have a need to use a phone in a moving vehicle, like emergency responders...

Edited by grampi (02/01/14 08:02 AM)

#3266579 - 02/01/14 08:05 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: whip]
grampi Offline

More ridiculousness...how many people die on motorcycles each year and how many people die due to cell phone use while driving each year...enough said on that...

Who's being ridiculous?

I don't know where you came up with those figures, but they aren't even close to being accurate...

#3266584 - 02/01/14 08:08 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: 97f150]
grampi Offline

Originally Posted By: 97f150
Yup, once again Grampi proves that he is Grumpy as well

Here's another vital contributor...and probably a habitual cell phone while driving user as well...

#3266703 - 02/01/14 10:21 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: SteveSRT8]
whip Offline

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Even Grampi would have to admit he responded EXACTLY as you said! Hilarious...

What makes it even better is that it appears Grampi doesn't even see it. He's certainly one of the most entertaining posters.

#3266707 - 02/01/14 10:23 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
whip Offline

Who's being ridiculous?

I don't know where you came up with those figures, but they aren't even close to being accurate...

I'd ask you to prove me wrong with your own figures, but I know you won't.

Page 11 of 13 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 >