Napa ProSelect 27082 11,000miles - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in the brother-in-laws 08 cobalt that I posted last weekend and the oil filter I pulled out was a napa proselct oil filter run for a little over 11,000 miles. The oil filter has a few ruptures in the media and the media started to push into the plastic center tube. While this is not good, the napa Proselect is a good filter for this application for only $5 IF it is kept to a reasonable OCI which, 11K on GTX plus my 3qts of nextgen make up oil is too long for my liking. Hopefully I can catch him at the 3K mark to switch out the formula shell/edge mix and STP filter that I brewed up to help clean up the engine. His car is now on my maintenance schedule. This previous OCI was done at a local chain.

Thats why i despise the ecore design,just not enough media support,you could have a blow out and never know it,i wouldn't use one if you paid me to!!!

or if you have too keep the mileage reasonable 5k

Originally Posted By: daman
Thats why i despise the ecore design,just not enough media support,you could have a blow out and never know it,i wouldn't use one if you paid me to!!!

While I agree with you on the ecore statement, this filter is a cartridge filter and granted its not an "ecore" but this is the design of the cartridge filter.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Ouch, how long did it take to accumulate 11k ?

A year I believe, give or take a few months.

Originally Posted By: volk06

While I agree with you on the ecore statement, this filter is a cartridge filter and granted its not an "ecore" but this is the design of the cartridge filter.

Right i know that,but it still follows the design,hence the center cage.

Ouch! ... blown out media - not good.
shocked.gif

Now I gotchya, were on the same page.
cheers3.gif

Yes, the center cage is the same basic design as an "ecore" filter. And as so, it is susceptible to media blow outs as seen here.

Now I gotchya, were on the same page.
cheers3.gif

lol

Is 11k the OLM's suggestion?

Walmart has the cartridge filter for $3.27. I know some people don't like them, but at least they don't gouge for cartridge filters charging more even though they cost less to make.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Is 11k the OLM's suggestion?

Walmart has the cartridge filter for $3.27. I know some people don't like them, but at least they don't gouge for cartridge filters charging more even though they cost less to make.

The OLM was at 0% and I have no idea how long it was there. From what he said quite a while.

The puro classic for 3.27 is on deck for the next OCI.

Wow. I am currently using a Auto Extra filter in my 2007 Cobalt. I bet the Auto Extra is similar in construction to your Pro Select filter. I really hope mine does not look like that. I have run a Purolator Classic to 10k and it looked fantastic. I will post some pictures of the Auto Extra when I change my oil.

Yuck!
I too ran an Ecotec to almost 10k miles with no problem with the filter.
For me this just reinforces my choice to not buy the value line of filters from any of the manufacturers. I prefer to stay in the mid to top end range.

volk, are all of the failures in the areas where the media is creased? Are the failures possibly a result of the creased media which seems to come from improper sizing?

Originally Posted By: cp3
Yuck!
I too ran an Ecotec to almost 10k miles with no problem with the filter.
For me this just reinforces my choice to not buy the value line of filters from any of the manufacturers. I prefer to stay in the mid to top end range.

volk, are all of the failures in the areas where the media is creased? Are the failures possibly a result of the creased media which seems to come from improper sizing?

Yes and yes I'd say. You can tell the filter was either tighten to tight or is just a tad to tall and the filter was crushed a tiny bit. The large kinks/waves in the media are where most of the failures are at. Like I said, I think this is a good filter just had a lot of things against it this OCI. A quickie lube place probably wrenched that thing on tighter then it needed to be.

Not necessarily, this is a common occurrence with the Ecotec. Seems to be few filters that don't do this. The only one I used that didn't was the K&N. I believe most ACDelco's come out ok. Wix, Fram & Baldwin all did this for me. I had tried M1 but I believe that is what was in it when I traded it in.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Not necessarily, this is a common occurrence with the Ecotec. Seems to be few filters that don't do this. The only one I used that didn't was the K&N. I believe most ACDelco's come out ok. Wix, Fram & Baldwin all did this for me. I had tried M1 but I believe that is what was in it when I traded it in.

Good to know, especially since WIX makes napa filters. I'll be curious to see how the STP I take out does and how the puro classic does next OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back