JP-8 in a diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use it, if not, bring it to me, lol. I know many guys running it, including me. An older Cummin's, 6.0 PS, etc.

If your concerned, just add some 2 stroke oil for some lubricity or a decent additive. You will lose some power so be warned about that.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: SrDriver
All I know is when the switch was made from JP-5 to JP-8 in aircraft engines problems were many.

there was no such thing as a switch from JP-5 to 8. Both are active specifications for currently used fuels. JP-8 is a low flashpoint jet like Jet-A and actively used in army/USMC diesels and generators as well as terrestrially-based jet aircraft and gas turbine engines.

JP-5 is a high flashpoint jet fuel used in ships to operate sea-based jet aircraft, and can be used in place of DFM/F-76 high flashpoint diesel in marine gas turbines.

Both jets are currently dirtier (sulfur content) than equivalent distillate fuels. I'd be careful with the JP-8 additives.

Perhaps he meant when the USAF switched from JP-4 to JP-8? The Air Force had been slowly converting to JP-8 over many years, but the Green Ramp disaster at Pope AFB in 1994 hastened the end of JP-4 for USAF aircraft.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/fuel/additives/lub_doser_systems.html
lubricity1.jpg

There's the easy answer to using JP8 where it was not originally intended

Like all those additive introducing things, I wonder how they meter it.

In my diesel, the return fuel is quite significant, as it seems to polish the fuel through the course of a tank...i.e. each drop of fuel sees the filter a couple of times.

does it dose every time through ?

The lubricity dosers came about when Cummins began providing the powerplants for MRAPs for the US military. Cummins would not warranty the engines to be fueled with JP8 unless these dosers were used. I wonder what the "dope" is that they are administering?

The metering is a good question. Suppose they are somehow modeled after the way additive-introducing coolant filters dose their stuff.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Like all those additive introducing things, I wonder how they meter it.

In my diesel, the return fuel is quite significant, as it seems to polish the fuel through the course of a tank...i.e. each drop of fuel sees the filter a couple of times.

does it dose every time through ?

you can dose the tank every time the filler has been opened... corresponding to the amount added. PSA has been doing it for years with their Eolys additive

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
you can dose the tank every time the filler has been opened... corresponding to the amount added. PSA has been doing it for years with their Eolys additive

You drop a whole filter in your tank at fill up ?

my diesel fill hole is only a couple of inches, while the additive containing filter that is being discussed looks a little bigger than that.

Or do you cut it up and add only a portion of the additive containing filter at a time ?

I think you missed something, the filter goes in line between the tank and the engine and doses the fuel with lubricant as it flows through. The filter gets replaced or recharged on a regular service interval more than likely based on the gallons that have been put through it.

OR you can add lubricant right to the tank every time you fill the vehicle up.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

You drop a whole filter in your tank at fill up ?

my diesel fill hole is only a couple of inches, while the additive containing filter that is being discussed looks a little bigger than that.

Or do you cut it up and add only a portion of the additive containing filter at a time ?

there's a seperate tank with eolys additiven and depending on the amount added to the fuel tank (diesel that is) the eolys tank pumps additive to the fuel tank for a few seconds upon the next start. the eolys additive tank lasts about 100k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back