Has dexos1 bolstered the image of Synthetic Blends

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Some ppl have had a rather apathetic to outright dislike of blends in the past. Has the dexos1 approval bolstered ther reputation in your eyes?

The issue with blends wasn't as much that they were blends, but that they were/are a poor value. 5-10% syn with a higher relative price.

With dexos and other specs that essentially require a blend, at least we know that there is some baseline performance benefit.

I guess its along those lines i am talking about. Lately there has been logical supposition that the dexos1 approved blends possess 45-50% (vs the old argument of 10-20%)synthetic base stocks. Pennzoil SynBlnd the only one to confirm this.

I agree. I used Valvoline Durablend for a while in the '90's, thought the idea made sense, but didn't feel comfortable extending change intervals so came to the conclusion I might as well stay with good quality conventional oil.

This past week I had an oil change at my dealer on my 2010 Tahoe, I have the free oil changes and do it every 3,000 miles. Being aware of the dexos spec I assumed that's what they were putting in, but the actual oil used isn't spec-ed on the slip, just the 5W30 weight. So, I inquired and turns out they use conventional oil in 2010's, but dexos in 2011 up as that's when the GM spec came in. I said I didn't think it made any sense, there is no mechanical difference from 2010 to 2011 in the 5.3. They agreed but said this is what they do, but would be glad to use dexos instead if I specify that's what I want. They are a good dealer with solid service so no complaints, but seemed like a foolish policy. So, I may go with the dexos from now on, not sure.

Originally Posted By: Dave01
I agree. I used Valvoline Durablend for a while in the '90's, thought the idea made sense, but didn't feel comfortable extending change intervals so came to the conclusion I might as well stay with good quality conventional oil.

This past week I had an oil change at my dealer on my 2010 Tahoe, I have the free oil changes and do it every 3,000 miles. Being aware of the dexos spec I assumed that's what they were putting in, but the actual oil used isn't spec-ed on the slip, just the 5W30 weight. So, I inquired and turns out they use conventional oil in 2010's, but dexos in 2011 up as that's when the GM spec came in. I said I didn't think it made any sense, there is no mechanical difference from 2010 to 2011 in the 5.3. They agreed but said this is what they do, but would be glad to use dexos instead if I specify that's what I want. They are a good dealer with solid service so no complaints, but seemed like a foolish policy. So, I may go with the dexos from now on, not sure.

Even the GM dealer doesn't want to pay the vig for using dexos1 (when it's not required)....I'd probably ask them to use it since it guarantees that it passed some stricter testing than regular SN...

It may have bolstered the image of syn blends because it bolstered the blends themselves. What used to be 5-10% syn is now around 50% syn, give or take, as the other posters have alluded to.

Even "dino" has like 5-10% syn due to even the basic SN standards being raised.

the old blends with little syn content used to cost almost as much as a full synthetic. Now, they have much more synthetic content and are priced closer to dino. The parts stores' sale prices and/or Walmart's regular prices of the syn blends are only a dollar or two more per 5 qts more than the dino. They went from not worth it to possibly the best value out there.

My bulk oil is a blend, Gulfpride AFE 5w30. It is 20-30% synthetic base stock. I am currently running it in my wife's Trailblazer, and have been very satisfied with its cold weather performance up here in Northern NY. I also have noticed that the motor runs exceptionally quiet and smooth.
Sales pitch aside, I pay $7.19/gallon, and charge $2.32/quart. In this case , the blend is a great value.
I also have Gulfpride Universal ATF (also a blend) in the Trailblazer's 4L60. Very satisfied. Gulf products are an awesome value.

Originally Posted By: salv
My bulk oil is a blend, Gulfpride AFE 5w30. It is 20-30% synthetic base stock. I am currently running it in my wife's Trailblazer, and have been very satisfied with its cold weather performance up here in Northern NY. I also have noticed that the motor runs exceptionally quiet and smooth.
Sales pitch aside, I pay $7.19/gallon, and charge $2.32/quart. In this case , the blend is a great value.
I also have Gulfpride Universal ATF (also a blend) in the Trailblazer's 4L60. Very satisfied. Gulf products are an awesome value.

I too believe blends have been underrated and are now experiencing a resurgence.

I haven't been around here all that long, but from what I've read the Motorcraft blend has always had a good reputation. At first, it was probably because it was priced very close to the big name conventionals, but now that the price has gone up it's still a good value because it's been reported that it's syn content is up around 60%.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The issue with blends wasn't as much that they were blends, but that they were/are a poor value. 5-10% syn with a higher relative price.

With dexos and other specs that essentially require a blend, at least we know that there is some baseline performance benefit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone provide a source supporting the statement

"With dexos and other specs that essentially require a blend"

Good day.

Rickey.

Originally Posted By: Rickey

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good day.

Rickey.

Can you find a conventional oil meeting DEXOS 1? To date there has not been a conventional oil that meets the DEXOS 1 spec. If you find one, please do share.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Good day.

Rickey.

Can you find a conventional oil meeting DEXOS 1? To date there has not been a conventional oil that meets the DEXOS 1 spec. If you find one, please do share.

Is there a specific aspect(s) of the dexos1 spec that are not able to be met by a conventional or that manufacturers are not looking to start selling their conventionals as dexos1?

Maybe there are some crossed semantics here.

I'm taking the statement:

literally as in no conventional OR FULL SYNTHETIC allowed.

We would not want any oil purchaser to misunderstand our statements would we?

Obviously some blends and full synthetics have qualified to Dexos1 and so far no conventional.

This is as it should be IMHO.(no conventional all group I or II allowed)

Really I would like to see a spec that could only be met with a full synthetic (group III or better)

I believe that the previous GM 4718M Spec was only met by group III or better.

To give my opinion on the OP's question: Yes Dexos will result in more semi-synthetic sales.
And probably enhance the public's view/awareness of Synthetic Blends.

Good day.

Rickey.

The primary reason for blends or full synthetics for Dexos, is that it requires a NOAK of 13% or under.
As tougher standards arise to follow Dexos, blends will become the entry level offering in most oils.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I haven't been around here all that long, but from what I've read the Motorcraft blend has always had a good reputation. At first, it was probably because it was priced very close to the big name conventionals, but now that the price has gone up it's still a good value because it's been reported that it's syn content is up around 60%.

I thought that the use of synthetic blends would improve the NOACK. The Motorcraft 5W-20 SN synblend according to PQIA was marginally higher than the max 15%. I've used this oil exclusively from buying my truck new in 2001 along with a Motorcraft oil filter. I can say that I've never used any measurable oil usage between my 5,000 OCI's. Looking in my oil fill cap showed very a clean head. I'm currently doing a 7,500 mile OCI with the Motorcraft oil and filter, it'll be 18 months +/-. I've also used LC20 in the oil and FP60 in the gas regularly so maybe that helped with the clean head.

Whimsey

Maybe there are some crossed semantics here.

I'm taking the statement:

literally as in no conventional OR FULL SYNTHETIC allowed.

We would not want any oil purchaser to misunderstand our statements would we?

We could even be more pedantic. Find me a dexos1 licensed oil that is primarily Group IV or Group V.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: salv
The primary reason for blends or full synthetics for Dexos, is that it requires a NOAK of 13% or under.
As tougher standards arise to follow Dexos, blends will become the entry level offering in most oils.

There maybe some truth in that. But there are some "conventionals" that had a NOACK less than 13% as far back as 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back