Seahawks Richard Sherman= CLASSLESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think we have a right to expect decent behavior from sports figures. Of course it may be true that they should not have interviewed him right after the big play when he was still all hyped up. But even later when he was interviewed he was still saying pretty much the same stuff.

Nobody is invincible. In the NFL 'NFL' stands for 'Nor For Long'. Everybody gets beat.

And if the guy just staged all of this for his 'brand' or whatever, that is worse than if he was just all hyped up.

Sooner or later he will be toasted by a receiver. What does he say then?

Lol...just re-read my last post. I mistakenly said that Sherman was a "narcissus'! Doh! No...as far as I know he's not a flower.
Note to self....always proof read posts and don't trust spellcheck.

Fine from NFL is $7875. Nice round number.
smile.gif

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...eld-celebration

Yeah...it was staged... to draw in viewers for the most watched single sporting event in the world. His true personality came out on national television.....as others have said...no class.

I find it hard to conclude that this guy is a classless lowlife or whatever after watching his press conference from a few days after the game, or learning what actually happened between him and Crabtree on the field after the last day. IMO he comes across as a very thoughtful, intelligent dude, who also happens to have an extreme competitive streak with some ego/swagger/attitude (which is common among people who make it to the highest levels of any endeavor if you think about it).

jeff

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Yeah...it was staged... to draw in viewers for the most watched single sporting event in the world. His true personality came out on national television.....as others have said...no class.

The irony is you guys are still blabbing about it.

When I saw the post-game rant by Sherman last Sunday, said immediately to wife, "They won't like that." They being 49'ers, FOX, Seahawk front office, and millions of viewers (Seahawk fans included). Then a couple of days after the game, wandered into the room when the evening news was showing a well attended interview of Sherman in the locker room. It took a few seconds to realize this was NOT a sports segment from the TV station, but a news segment about his headphone commercial. Wanting to see the whole thing, pulled up YT only to find the NSFW version of the commercial in the featured spot; no searching necessary.

It was immediately evident to me that some people really liked that tirade, and were high fivin' like crazy: The headphone executives. My current take is, 50% emotion, 50% scripted. His degree is in communications.

Originally Posted By: AdmdeVilleneuve

It was immediately evident to me that some people really liked that tirade, and were high fivin' like crazy: The headphone executives. My current take is, 50% emotion, 50% scripted. His degree is in communications.

Maybe his plan is to get an acting gig when he retires from Pro Football.
crackmeup2.gif

It's like most other things. If you don't like the person, then no amount of evidence will change your mind. If you like him then no amount will make you change your mind either. In my case I knew nothing about him, but the son in law is one that hated him. I chose to kind of wait and see what came out and from reports it seems like if I had to jump one way or the other I'd go with Sherman's version. I kind of like an occasional flare of real feelings instead of PC responses. Maybe the coaches will put in a team rule of no interviews until 10 or 15 min. after the game. You know the NFL is eating it up for the ratings come SB time.

http://www.businessinsider.com/richard-shermans-dad-drive-trash-truck-2014-1

The more I read about Sherman and his story, the more I like the guy. It's hilarious reading comments about how people are to expect THEIR pro football stars to act with decency. LMAO. I believe Charles Barkley's Nike commercial puts that into perspective where he said pro athletes are just that; pro athletes; they aren't roll models and they shouldn't be held up as such. If you watch what actually happened with Sherman, he went up to Crabtree, but out his hand in appreciation and said "good game". Crabtree hit him in the helmet. CLASSLESS. Similarly, the dude comes from a blue collar background and worked his rear end off to get where he's at. I'd think some of you haters would appreciate that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://www.businessinsider.com/richard-shermans-dad-drive-trash-truck-2014-1

The more I read about Sherman and his story, the more I like the guy. It's hilarious reading comments about how people are to expect THEIR pro football stars to act with decency. LMAO. I believe Charles Barkley's Nike commercial puts that into perspective where he said pro athletes are just that; pro athletes; they aren't roll models and they shouldn't be held up as such. If you watch what actually happened with Sherman, he went up to Crabtree, but out his hand in appreciation and said "good game". Crabtree hit him in the helmet. CLASSLESS. Similarly, the dude comes from a blue collar background and worked his rear end off to get where he's at. I'd think some of you haters would appreciate that.

Regardless of all the apologists, behavior matters. There will always (hopefully) be a part of our society that expects others to behave with manners and dignity....on the field and off. Sadly however, poor behavior today by our professional (and amateur) athletes has become the mostly accepted norm. Grandstanding, boasting, anger out of control, verbal expletives....it's gotten to be rampant. Fans today seem to like much of it. That's fine, but it doesn't suit me. I don't find that spending my time watching athletes behaving in a way that I see as objectionable as enjoyable. Just my opinion.

I'm not apologizing for his smack talking; it is what it is. I'm tired of the people making blatant generalizations about the guy because he talks smack and "acts like a thug".

He acts identically to most every guy I've ever known when a group of guys are screwing around, playing any kind of game, sporting activity etc.

It was Crabtree that didn't have any decency.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'm not apologizing for his smack talking; it is what it is. I'm tired of the people making blatant generalizations about the guy because he talks smack and "acts like a thug".

He acts identically to most every guy I've ever known when a group of guys are screwing around, playing any kind of game, sporting activity etc.

It was Crabtree that didn't have any decency.

He acted like a person without any sense of control or class. He did this on nationwide TV. He acted selfishly....and like a child. If he faked the whole thing....then that's even worse.
I'm not trying to single him out though. As you've said, others do much of the same.
Ignore me anyway. Most people do when it comes to sports. My opinion is old-fashioned and reflects another time.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
My opinion is old-fashioned and reflects another time.

There's a lot of truth to that. We absolutely do live in different times where social norms and acceptable behavior have changed, a lot for the worse. Well, maybe worse is a bad term: more crude.

Take the Grammy's for example. Half of it was witchcraft/devil worshiping!

Funny, I am pretty old timely but 10 seconds after an adrenaline shot of a game moment where I, personally, won the game to put my team in the Super Bowl? Do not interview me. I jump up and down when my team wins with me on the couch.

On another note, the word apologist actually indicates using facts to support your ideas. Let's keep it that way instead of implying it means baseless. My own personal pet peeve.

ref

Originally Posted By: refaller
Funny, I am pretty old timely but 10 seconds after an adrenaline shot of a game moment where I, personally, won the game to put my team in the Super Bowl? Do not interview me. I jump up and down when my team wins with me on the couch.

On another note, the word apologist actually indicates using facts to support your ideas. Let's keep it that way instead of implying it means baseless. My own personal pet peeve.

ref

I believe I used the term correctly in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back