Safe to run non CJ4 oil in a 6.2 diesel-see thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be running a bypass filter setup using a Baldwin B164 filter, so is it safe to switch to a newer spec diesel oil? I know we have to run CJ4 due to the soot loading but the bypass should remove a lot of the soot thus I should be able to run the newer spec oils. I would love to keep running Rotella 5w40 but its $50 a jug locally, I can get Motul rated for Dmax, VW's, Mercedes etc for $25 a jug, hence my question. Thanks.

Some quick research revealed that it's perfectly safe to run CJ4 in your 6.2L.

I had a Chevy stake bed with a 6.2L that had 478,000 miles on it when I sold it. I always used Chevron Delo 15W40 or SAE30. Once the crank issues were taken care of, I think they were good, reliable engines that could run on anything (I ran used veggie oil from time to time). I'm also a fan of Ford 6.9L and 7.3L IDI engines.

I don't want to run CJ4, hence my question and yes, 6.2's are wicked engines. I push 20 psi thru mine and run waste oils and jet fuel.

They had block and head issues, the odd 6.5 crank would snap but for the most part, pretty reliable. GEP took over in 2000 and had Navistar recast them, fixed all the issues, if you want to go all out, get the P400, forged crank, bed plate, billet cam.

Last edited:
Sorry, misread it. Your first sentence asks if it's safe to run newer oil's but the title says non-CJ4 (i.e. older).

Either way, yes, it is safe to run non-CJ4 oil in your old 6.2L.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Yep, his ride is definitely not in warranty. They haven't used 6.2L diesels since 1993.

Danke; jetzt verstehe ich.
Kevin

You're welcome.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Sorry, misread it. Your first sentence asks if it's safe to run newer oil's but the title says non-CJ4 (i.e. older).

Either way, yes, it is safe to run non-CJ4 oil in your old 6.2L.

No worries, but yeah, the soot loading these motors do always scares me. I am at 7500km's right now, gross looking oil, going to get a sample tested, then in say 500 km's, get another sample done after to see how well the bypass setup is working.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
Which Motul? This one IS API CJ-4:
https://www.motul.com/system/product_des....pdf?1290086773

Is your ride still under warranty (sorry if that should be obvious from the engine size)? Does the owner's manual require 5W-40 or do you want the "5W" rating? Or is the nominal higher cost of CJ-4 your concern?
Kevin

Sorry, just filled out my sig, its an 1984 with 220,000 km's on it.

Nice find but my supplier doesn't carry that one, I can get LubriMoly diesel high tech or 502/505 rated oil, Motul Specific, 8100 Xclean and Xcess.

I want to run those as Rotella is the only CJ4 synthetic 5w40 I can get, in Canada, we get raped on oil prices, I can drive 30 mins to Bellingham and get the same oil for $22 a jug, I pay almost $50 here. My wholesaler carry's the Motul and Lubri Moly and its reasonable, and now running a bypass, I am taking out the soot part, which is why we run CJ4, as IDI's are soot monsters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sixtwoturbo
I can drive 30 mins to Bellingham and get the same oil for $22 a jug

Why don't you take the short drive?

Because by the time you've gone thru the border, bought the oil, driven back, gone thru the border, you've spent an 1-1.5 hours. My time is limited and if i can run locally available oil for a few pennies more, I'd rather do that.

I want to run those as Rotella is the only CJ4 synthetic 5w40 I can get, in Canada, we get raped on oil prices, I can drive 30 mins to Bellingham and get the same oil for $22 a jug, I pay almost $50 here.

Find an Imperial Oil or Shell distributor nearby. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 from the distributor goes for half of that price you pay for Rotella synthetic at retail. You'll have to buy a box of four jugs, but that's not a big deal. Rotella is probably similarly cheaper at a Shell distributor.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I want to run those as Rotella is the only CJ4 synthetic 5w40 I can get, in Canada, we get raped on oil prices, I can drive 30 mins to Bellingham and get the same oil for $22 a jug, I pay almost $50 here.

Find an Imperial Oil or Shell distributor nearby. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 from the distributor goes for half of that price you pay for Rotella synthetic at retail. You'll have to buy a box of four jugs, but that's not a big deal. Rotella is probably similarly cheaper at a Shell distributor.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Went to Walmart in Bellingham, Rotella 5w40 is $21 a jug with a $5 mail in rebate, Delvac syn 5w40 is $18/19 a jug. Hate getting hosed for oil and additives here.

One more, diesel additive, forgot the brand, silver or white container, $12 for 1 litre here, $17 for 4 litres there. [censored]?
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back