First time with leather seats, school me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Good point about the silicones.

I have been considering a leather coating product. What are your thoughts on this product from a composition standpoint?

http://www.cquartz.com.my/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Cquartz-Fabric-and-leather.pdf

It's basically a type of fabric softener. Composition is similar to the "natural" clothing fabric softeners using a stabilized vegetable oil vs the quaternary ammonium ions of conventional fabric softeners. It would work quite well but use it sparingly. I'm pretty sure it would darken leather more than the wax and animal fat derived treatments.

The other chemicals in the CQuartz basically are there to prevent the rancidification of the oils. It would work ok. Although I do prefer mineral, lanolin, and animal based oils a little better as they really give the leather a suppleness that I think wouldn't be matched by something that looks chemically a lot like fabric softener.

how about this, cleaning with saddle soap and horse hair polish brush as mentioned some where back on page 1 i think, then "rubbing in" this lovely after sun lotion bought a couple summers back, and have been trying to use up.
Ingredients list:
Water, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Mineral Oil, Stearic Acid, Coconut oil, cetyl alcohol,Triethanolamine,sorbitol, PEG-75 Lanolin, Cocoa seed butter, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Aloe Leaf Juice, Methylparaben, imidazlidinyl Urea, Propylparaben, Fragrance, yellow 5,red 40.

if not, i can continue using it for hand creme.

Last edited:
I've had good results with Lexol, both the cleaner and conditioner.

Just clean things before your car starts to smell like an old pair of sneakers and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
qwertydude,
If one still does want to treat coated leather, do you think there is any harm in using products labeled for plastic (i.e. vinyl) or plastic/leather?

I wouldn`t. I`ve been told that plastic/vinyl protectants can harm the stitching holding the various leather panels together,and that`s why a dedicated leather product is always recommended. Don`t know if it`s true or false,but I won`t take that chance.

Like qwertydude said,even the "coated/protected" leather (which makes up 99.9% of all car leather) is porous,even if it`s at a microscopic level,so therefore leather protectants will keep it soft,supple,and prevent cracking. That porousness is why leather seats "breathe",and warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Cloth seats will make you sweat much more than real leather seats in the summer if you`ll notice,whereas vinyl will also make you sweat and stick to them.

Interesting. I had the total opposite experience with temperature of leather in my cars. When it's hot, parked in direct sunlight, it sears your skin. When it's cold, 1st sit-down is blistering, but it does heat up quickly.

Perhaps the leather in most of my cars isn't real enough.

Originally Posted By: razel
Interesting. I had the total opposite experience with temperature of leather in my cars. When it's hot, parked in direct sunlight, it sears your skin. When it's cold, 1st sit-down is blistering, but it does heat up quickly.

Perhaps the leather in most of my cars isn't real enough.

BMW uses special coatings to reflect the heat. My black leather seats are never more than "warm to the touch" even when parked in the direct sun.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Although I have not used it yet, on another auto discussion board I visit there are a lot of guys that really praise the leather cleaner and conditioner kit from Chemical Guys. If you are not familiar with them, Chemical Guys specializes in auto detailing supplies for professional detailers. I would recommend taking a look at their leather cleaner and conditioner.

I tried their leather products and was not very impressed. It's inexpensive, yes, but I didn't like the smell and it felt like it wore off too quickly.

That is exactly what most of those who have recommended Chemical Guys leather cleaner and conditioner to me, liked about it. With few exceptions, most guys complained about any leather conditioner that left a slick, finish on top of the leather. They wanted the leather clean, and they wanted a conditioner that would keep the leather supple over many years.

From the recommendations I have read, the Chemical Guys leather treatment does just that. The leather is left soft, but totally free of the feel of any type of surface material. It's interesting to see the criticisms here, of their leather treatment. I haven't see that on other sites.

Don't get me wrong, the CG stuff is way ahead of the off-the-shelf products, but Leather Master is in a whole other league. It's especially great on the more expensive nappa leather that my two Audis had and my current BMW has.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Depends on what type of leather you have. My cars have protected leather seats so I just gently clean every so often and that's enough to keep them looking excellent. Pretty simple. No need in slathering something on my protected/coated leather that's not going to do anything except attract dirt.

Very smart. It is such a waste of money also.

As others have said, before you do anything else, ensure it is clean. Wash it gently (plain water, water + gentle soap, Murphy's oil soap, etc).

Once the leather is clean and soft, Lexol is good to maintain it.

But if you want to bring some leather back from the brink, Leather Honey borders on amazing. Hopefully you can maintain your new ride, but if the leather ever gets stiff, try Leather Honey. I've bought abused cars with leather seats, and have saved the seats with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back