Which 2014 cars are without VVT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose someone was looking for a new car and wanted the simplest engine possible, are there any new cars available without variable valve timing?

It's getting harder to find them without direct injection, which is what I would be concerned about, and I can't think of one without VVT.

Why would VVT be of concern to you? What type of car are you thinking of getting? Midsize, compact, 4 or 2 door, etc?

In europe the fiat 500 is still sold with a 1.2 8 valve I4 with 65 DIN HP. It,s a 20 year old engine. And I remember right it still only has monopoint injection.

Perhaps it,s sold in the US aswell.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
Why would VVT be of concern to you? What type of car are you thinking of getting? Midsize, compact, 4 or 2 door, etc?

Unnecessary complexity is the concern I have. I'm not looking for a new car for myself. I was just curious if it's possible to get a new car without VVT if someone wanted to. The kind of cars I find appealing is the Lexus ES350, Infinity G37, BMW 535, and cars along those lines.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
yeah but then he'd have to drive a car that looks like Grimace

Plus in my opinion it,s The Automotive version of a womans handback.

2014 models without a form of vvt? non that i can of.and for the most part vvt systems have been fairly reliable.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Unnecessary complexity is the concern I have. I'm not looking for a new car for myself. I was just curious if it's possible to get a new car without VVT if someone wanted to. The kind of cars I find appealing is the Lexus ES350, Infinity G37, BMW 535, and cars along those lines.

So you want unnecessary complexity, yet you are interested in luxury brands? I'm having a hard time believing you're serious.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

So you want unnecessary complexity, yet you are interested in luxury brands? I'm having a hard time believing you're serious.

LOL

Very good point. You will have alot more issues with everything but vvt on a luxury car.

Oh the days of points, plugs, rotor button, and condensers tuneup kit with 8 plugs,,,20 bucks maybe..

It is really to bad in some ways that cars today are front wheel drive==Why, glad you ask. In another life time,way back in the 40 50 and 60's, you could change out engines reasonably easy. Chevy's old 283 comes to mind, small space needed and it adapted to many different cars then.... old fashion you say! I guess so, there were no computers, way to many belts, aw, but an old fashion 2 bbl or 4 bbl carb or 3 deuces..someone in here remembers those days. Yes, by today's standards those rides were costly to run. The next time you go to a car show, see whats on the lot, 50s / 60s rides, not many 68 Datsuns, there now, was there? Did I mention 3 speed shift on the column? Now, where are my glasses and teeth?

The only thing that came to mind was that POS Mits Galant but they gave up on it in 2012
smile.gif

Good luck no car maker who wants to stay in business and not look like a fool will produce a car without it since it achieves extra MPG and better power curve than non-VVT equipped vehicles.

Honda btw has been doing it since 1991 and my 1993 Civic was beyond reliable with it.

Volkswagen Jetta S 2 point slow. SOHC 8 valve. No bells, no whistles, same 115 hp it's been for years.

That's all I got. Can't think of anything else

I can't think of many that do not have some form of variable valve timing.

Even the cheapest cars in this country (Versa, Spark, Mirage) have some form of variable valve timing ...

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Oh the days of points, plugs, rotor button, and condensers tuneup kit with 8 plugs,,,20 bucks maybe..

It is really to bad in some ways that cars today are front wheel drive==Why, glad you ask. In another life time,way back in the 40 50 and 60's, you could change out engines reasonably easy. Chevy's old 283 comes to mind, small space needed and it adapted to many different cars then.... old fashion you say! I guess so, there were no computers, way to many belts, aw, but an old fashion 2 bbl or 4 bbl carb or 3 deuces..someone in here remembers those days. Yes, by today's standards those rides were costly to run. The next time you go to a car show, see whats on the lot, 50s / 60s rides, not many 68 Datsuns, there now, was there? Did I mention 3 speed shift on the column? Now, where are my glasses and teeth?

rose colored glasses? I owned a 283. We had to pull it and bore it out .040 at 84,000 due to loss of compression. HUGE ridge on the tops of the cylinders. Until we rebuilt it, it was a finicky engine, stalled often, fouled plugs later in life, it just required more love and care than modern cars. I loved it when it ran. smooth, solid, silent--- just a whisper unless you got on it. Water pumps--- I think it had two replacements, not unusual for the era. Blew lots of oil-steam, lots of blow-by, and plenty of july days were spent scraping grease off that thing. This car went from great-grandma, to granddad, spent some time with both my mom and her sister, then was given to us. It was maintained regularly by the book.

Simple motor, yes. Something special about it? definitely. Low maintenance--- for the big parts, yes.... but daily use---- when was the last time you jumped in a mazda and knew you'd have to be careful because rain would often make the car stall? Idle speed by oem was 450rpm. not a lot of room there for a hiccup!

the small v8 in my truck reminds me of the 283. while it's far more reliable, I certainly agree-- it was just the right size. Cheers
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Honda btw has been doing it since 1991 and my 1993 Civic was beyond reliable with it.

Common misconception. Those old V-techs were not VVT systems and should not be be compared to modern VVT systems for reliability.

I don't understand. How is having a separate cam lobe that allows for different timing and lift on the VTEC engines not a VVT system? It's not varied at the cam drive like most systems and it is limited to the 2 or 3 stages of the cam lobes and valves actuated , but it is variable.

The kind of cars I find appealing is the Lexus ES350, Infinity G37, BMW 535, and cars along those lines.

I have a 2008 ES350 with 195,000 miles. Bought new. 100% diet of PP and QSUD 5w30 every 5000 miles. The engine is spotless. VVT in the 2GR-FE is very reliable and the engine delivers 27-30mpg.
No need to worry with the Toyota VVT just use syn oil and change every 5000 with a factory filter element.

Last edited:
2011 Focus, probably the cut off is around 2010, 2011 for almost all cars. 2012 Elantra Wagon is another one as its the old design compared compared to the sedan.

Originally Posted By: meep
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

rose colored glasses? I owned a 283. We had to pull it and bore it out .040 at 84,000 due to loss of compression. HUGE ridge on the tops of the cylinders. Until we rebuilt it, it was a finicky engine, stalled often, fouled plugs later in life, it just required more love and care than modern cars. I loved it when it ran. smooth, solid, silent--- just a whisper unless you got on it. Water pumps--- I think it had two replacements, not unusual for the era. Blew lots of oil-steam, lots of blow-by, and plenty of july days were spent scraping grease off that thing. This car went from great-grandma, to granddad, spent some time with both my mom and her sister, then was given to us. It was maintained regularly by the book.

Simple motor, yes. Something special about it? definitely. Low maintenance--- for the big parts, yes.... but daily use---- when was the last time you jumped in a mazda and knew you'd have to be careful because rain would often make the car stall? Idle speed by oem was 450rpm. not a lot of room there for a hiccup!

the small v8 in my truck reminds me of the 283. while it's far more reliable, I certainly agree-- it was just the right size. Cheers
smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for posting, nice to see someone still remembers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back