Is starter fluid bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was starting a Montero (2.6, gas engine) the other day. It had been sitting for about 18 months. I put fresh gas in, check the oil, fresh battery, and it wouldn't start.

I sprayed two quick squirts of starter fluid into the carb (air filter removed), still no go. One more squirt, and then I was able to fire it right up. It seemed to run fine. It started fine after that (no starter fluid needed). I was alone, so the motor wasn't being cranked as the starter fluid was sprayed in.

Last night I was reading around online, and it seems lots of people are of the opinion starter fluid can damage an engine. What are your thoughts/experience on this?

I ask partly because I have another vehicle that's been sitting a while, doesn't seem interested in starting. I had thought to try the same approach, as it worked. But, if it's going to damage the engine, then obviously I don't want to.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Quest
starter fluid on gasoline engine is fine, no harm done.

starter fluid on diesel engine is a big no-no, period.

Q.

What is different that causes it to be a no-no on a diesel? (I've never had a diesel, so am curious. Thanks.)

Originally Posted By: OceanRuns
Originally Posted By: Quest
starter fluid on gasoline engine is fine, no harm done.

starter fluid on diesel engine is a big no-no, period.

Q.

What is different that causes it to be a no-no on a diesel? (I've never had a diesel, so am curious. Thanks.)

I'm going to assume Quest is referring to diesel applications with intake grid heaters/glow plugs. If used incorrectly, then a nasty explosion can result.

With that said, starting fluid/ether is fine for either gas, or diesel engines. It's not usage that's the problem...it's misuse -- plenty have killed engines and caused inordinate wear doing so.

Compression in a diesel is much much higher then a gasser and the added "explosion" from the SF can crack pistons and bend rods,hurt cranks,etc.

I switched to carb cleaner. Just as effective, but more versatile. Proper use it is fine. Both the starting fluid and cc have a little oil in them so as not to wash down the cylinder.

All I get here in non flammable carb cleaner.
frown.gif

Use the wrong stuff and you make mustard gas?

OP, the carb was probably dry and or you needed enough RPM/ vacuum from the spray kicking over to suck some loogie through the carb.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Are you referring to phosgene gas? COCL 2 ?

I think that comes from refrigerants or chlorinated hydrocarbons being burned in a combustion engine, like r-12 , r22 etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

I'm going to assume Quest is referring to diesel applications with intake grid heaters/glow plugs. If used incorrectly, then a nasty explosion can result.

With that said, starting fluid/ether is fine for either gas, or diesel engines. It's not usage that's the problem...it's misuse -- plenty have killed engines and caused inordinate wear doing so.

What would constitute misuse in a gas engine?

Highly recommend having a strong fire extinguisher and a second person when using Starter Fluid.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Are you referring to phosgene gas? COCL 2 ?

I think that comes from refrigerants or chlorinated hydrocarbons being burned in a combustion engine, like r-12 , r22 etc.

They put chlorinated HCs in brake cleaners in some states. Anyway, just throwing it out there that you shouldn't spray random cans down your carb without knowing what's in them.

A little snort in a diesel wont hurt anything as long as it does not have glow plugs or an intake heater. Using it with glow plugs or intake heater can break stuff. Most people use too much.

The trick is only using a very small amount, and spray while cranking. Hold down the nozzle like you're applying fogging oil, and then go try to start? Not good, to put it mildly.

The trick is only using a very small amount, and spray while cranking. Hold down the nozzle like you're applying fogging oil, and then go try to start? Not good, to put it mildly.

Well, being alone, I had no option but to spray some in and then go start it (as mentioned in my OP). Hope I didn't hurt anything.

Last edited:

Well, being alone, I had no option but to spray some in and then go start it (as mentioned in my OP). Hope I didn't hurt anything.

If nothing went bang, clunk, twang or any one of a number bad noises, then you and your Montero will be fine.

If you are talking about ether then I did decide to stop keeping it around the place. Now I just use carb cleaner in a spray can to see if the non start is due to lack of fuel.

You didn't hurt anything using the method you did. As with any highly volatile mixture, small amounts can be usefull, large amounts will cause damage.

As mentioned, diesels require the grid heater and/or glow plugs disabled before using starter fluid and even then, small amounts are all that is required....it is very easy to bend rods, blow head gaskets and/or damage the engine by overspeeding.

My starter fluid of choice for large diesels was WD-40....it seemed to start them "gentler". I've started everything from Deutz to EMD's using WD-40. Once, when stuck out in a field with a tracked loader I just installed a cylinder head on, I found myself with no more WD-40 and no stater fluid so I dipped a rag in the fuel tank and squeezed the rag over the intake dripping some diesel into the intake and it fired up....I was facing weak batteries and didn't want to crank on it too much and the drizzled diesel did the trick.

I've heard of some vehicles set up with a system to squirt starter fluid into them. Those might ok with fluid. But it's still easy to get too much in there I'd think.

From what I've read it can damage the top ring land on diesels, thus causing a compression drop. Which of course only makes the starting problem worse.

If you need starter fluid on a gasser with fuel injection, then something is really wrong with the car and should be fixit ASAP.
Having said that, I think using starter fluid in a pinch on a gasser should not be a problem, unless grossly overdosed.

Diesels, on the other hand, should not see starter fluid at all, unless they are without glow plugs or intake heaters, which is unheard of in anything modern.

My FIL just killed his 2000 Jett TDI by using starter fluid instead of replacing glow plus and the wiring harness, like I suggested. It did not happen right away and he got away with it for a while. But bout two weeks ago he told me that upon startup, the car revved quite high, with no user input, and when he put the transmission to "D", the car stalled and would not restart.
I don't know what kind of damage was done, but on a diesel, it is likely not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back