2001 Supercharged Frontier valve train pic. 255k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks pretty good with half being spotless and the other half with some varnish but not sludge. What oil and OCI are you using?

edit - your link worked before, I don't know what you changed but its not working now.

Last edited:
051_zps470ca7f2.jpg

I don't know why I was having issues.
Thanks Quattro Pete for correcting.

This is my dad's truck. It has had M1 since 10k with a few runs of Amsoil. I've been running M1 HM for the last 75k or so.
I usually do 5k intervals.

I'm guessing it gets hot towards the back of the engine.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like it gets hot at the back. What grade of M1 were you running? Looks like it might have benefited from the 0w-40
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
255K? Supercharged?

Carry on.

No kidding.
Looks fantastic.
I'd give m1 0w-40 a shot like overkill mentioned. I bet next time that covers off the whole thing is spotless with 0w-40.
Jmo.

255K? Supercharged?

Carry on.

Yes that's correct. Truck was bought new in 01 with roughly 140 miles on it. Factory Supercharged. Can't really complain about it. Been a very reliable rig. Still on the factory Alternator ,and starter. The transmission pan has never been dropped. Just frequent drain ,and fills with Dex3 fluid.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
255K? Supercharged?

Carry on.

No kidding.
Looks fantastic.
I'd give m1 0w-40 a shot like overkill mentioned. I bet next time that covers off the whole thing is spotless with 0w-40.
Jmo.

This. Run a synth 40 weight.

Looks good other than varnish. As other have said run some 0w40 Mobil 1. Great stuff and it cleans very well.

Originally Posted By: Shaman
Off-topic, but how has the truck been DD-wise. MPG, issues, modifications, etc?

It is my dads. I have had plenty of drive time ,but never driven it long enough to calculate MPG. My dad doesn't keep up with it.
It was EPA rated 15 city 18 Hwy. Most people on the Frontier forums report similar numbers.

It is an old design definitely not designed with fuel economy in mind.

Aside from that it's actually a nice truck to drive even with 255k on it.
The engine has good low ,and mid range power. top end is weak on the VG motors.

This truck was only rated 210hp ,and 246 ft lbs. Not a lot but it makes 90% of that torque at 1500 rpm ,and makes its peak torque at 2800 rpm.

For the mileage issues have been minimal.
At 70k the passenger exhaust manifold ,and knock sensor were replaced under warranty. Both common issues.
Needed a radiator at 170k. The factory unit never leaked but it started running warm , but never over heated. I kept the cooling system serviced ,but I guess something clogged anyway.

I replaced the OEM supercharger at 218k. It never had a failure , but the old unit was getting noisy.

Other than that just routine maintenance. 2 timing belts, frequent transmission drain and fills ,and oil changes. Truck still has original starter ,and alternator.

Just curious...is there a PCV or crankcase breather located towards the back (The Dark Side) of the cylinder head?

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Just curious...is there a PCV or crankcase breather located towards the back (The Dark Side) of the cylinder head?

Yes there is ,and as an active BITOGER for many years, I'm embarrassed to say I have neglected the PCV valve on this truck ,and have never changed it.

I plan on changing it next time I'm at my parents house.

Good clean engine. It's very normal for the vg33e to be half varnished and essentially half clean. (every engine shot I've seen of it and even my own exhibited the same varnishing.

Could be heat but I'm thinking might be a combo of that and the oil not exactly reaching it as equally as the front area. If there was more oil being worked up in that area it would imo be cleaner.

And your right it wasn't by all means may friendly. The 6 made between 170 - 185 HP depending on the year and wasn't exactly the most responsive acceleration unless you got it supercharged

Last edited:
VG30 engines were some of the toughest engines of their time, but there were some VG33 engines that were a problem.

I am impressed with how your engine looks.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I wouldn't change a thing except get that PCV changed out. Getting a little hotter in the back wouldn't be a surprise to me, especially where you're living at. Summers can be brutal and the engine fan can't really help that far back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back