2013 Chevy Equinox, 2.4L, 7,522, Mobil-1 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Have you given any thought to switching oils (attempting to lower iron)?

I don't think the oil is the issue, this engine is really really hard on oils and sheds some metals.

OP what were your previous oils? M1 SM?

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Use a cheaper dexos1 oil for 5k oil change interval. It seems like 5k max is for that motor

Why 5k max?
The lab states there is tbn remaining and their comments are to stick with this mileage interval so what data are you looking at that makes you think dumping good oil at 5000 miles is smart and max?

OP

Iron is still high and the engine should have enough miles now to be "broken in" and I'd expect it to be trending down. Maybe you'll see iron reduction in the next sample.
As mentioned maybe another oil would achieve lower wear metal numbers,not that there's any reason to panic at what's been seen presently.
Thanks for posting. I like seeing the data collected especially when its from new.
It surprises me just how long it takes some engines to be fully broken in and wear metals settle into their universal averages.
Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: volk06
I don't think the oil is the issue, this engine is really really hard on oils and sheds some metals.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2950712

6,000 miles -- 9ppm iron.

I got in too much of a hurry and misread which engine this has, I thought it was the 3.6L not the ecotec. Granted these 2.4L are from different vehicles and differ driving habits.

Wow sheared that down to a very light 20 grade!

Have you considered running Mobil 1 0w-40? If your not worried about the possibility of voiding the warranty, thats what i would do.

Seems these engines shed metal. There was someone on here who lost his engine around 70K miles because of fuel dilution causing higher wear. Same engine. I cant say Im "impressed" with this GM engine.

On this change I put in M1 0w40. We'll see how it fares. Would high fuel dilution cause only high iron ...?

Made that M1 5w30 look like a mediocre 5w20.
frown.gif
I'd bet you'd see both aluminum and iron come down if you went thicker or found something more shear resistant under your vehicle's abuse. If you like M1 the EP version might fare a bit better.

The flashpoint, viscosity and manganese seem to indicate you still have fuel dilution issues.

My guess is the iron is coming from your timing chain.

If it were my vehicle, I would try to find a thick 30w that meets warranty requirements and reduce your OCI until you can get a handle on the viscosity/iron.

weve noticed that GM DI engines that run Mobil1--- shed iron---and users switch to Pennzoil Platinum- UOA show iron drops...

At least thats what Ive seen on the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/Outlook forums.

Id give it a try.

just as a comparison...
with the 6 cyl and 4 cyl DI engine in this vehicle.

my 2013 Equinox with the 3.6L V6. running Penn Platinum.
Still within the wear in period.

Miles on engine, 6,178 / 12,681
miles on oil , 4,607 / 6,503
Iron- 26 / 34

Last edited:
I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would buy a brand new car and worry about spending 60 bucks extra a year on one more oil change. I am going to put about 12,000 on my Equinox this year. I am changing the oil every 4000 miles, don't care what the lab says. No worries then.
You guys would have bowel movement if I told you truck get changed at 3000 miles no matter what.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Plenty of 2.4 running around with lots of miles and no problems.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would buy a brand new car and worry about spending 60 bucks extra a year on one more oil change. I am going to put about 12,000 on my Equinox this year. I am changing the oil every 4000 miles, don't care what the lab says. No worries then.
You guys would have bowel movement if I told you truck get changed at 3000 miles no matter what.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Plenty of 2.4 running around with lots of miles and no problems.

Yup,I agree! I could care less what labs(UOA's)say,I've seen many many motors tore down for years.I've seen what motors look like when oil is stretched too far. Oil & filters are cheap!
56.gif

It's a lease.
I don't really care what happens to it.
I honestly think this is yet another GM POS vehicle based on my many problems with it.
This ecotec 2.4L engine doesn't have a stellar record by any account.
GM engineers and marketers purport to the consumer that this advanced OLM will go approximately 8k miles before a change....so I am using their system to see what happens.
For my driving style I know that the 3mo/3k oil change is bologna, wastes resources, and is a profit based claim.
I've been extending oil drains with success for years in other vehicles.
If the engine is shedding metal,then it's shedding metal. Changing oil 2k or 3k miles sooner doesn't fix a poorly engineered engine, that's shedding metal.
I believe that the future UOA's will trend down but only time and the numbers will tell.
Stay tuned as I am averaging 30k a year and will be posting more UOAs as the miles roll on........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back