PayPal unauthorized charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what does the seller say?

Allow me to state I have two Paypal accounts. Personal and business. I've had the personal account for over 15 years. Not one issue. I've had the business account for 6+ years. We transact on some days something like $XXXX. Some issues with buyers claiming something didn't get delivered (typical), then starting a dispute (first) which has a 20 or so day time period before it moves to a claim. I am not a Paypal lover, and we used to transact our CC's separate, but Paypal made us a lowball offer on transaction fees that is less than half standard CC fee. So other than Money Orders/Cash/ETC, we are all Paypal.

The thing to remember with any such institution - Paypal protects Paypal first. Probably second would be a preferred merchant, a company that moves enough money to get some level of respect. Doesn't mean they are screwing the little guy, just means the big guy holds the dough until the dispute is complete and the phone support is truly top notch. That said there are protocols and I'm telling you either Paypal made an error (very rare IMHO) or the seller has solid evidence that he delivered as agreed.

There is something missing here. What was the item/service? Who is this seller? What was the true length of the dispute?

I had pondered doing a PP account on/off a few months or so.
Guess I won't anymore - I'll just continue using my CC.
Now my CC is red-flagged due to the Target issue and I'm right in the middle waiting for my new replacement CC this week. My credit union decided to red-flag cards and reissue... They could have informed me but I had gone in last Friday to check and that's how I found out.

I wont give the sellers name, but they are Chinese.
The purchase was two LED light bulbs. I gave the seller + feedback on receipt of the bulbs.

Now, I did not see the charges until they appeared on my CC statement. So this would be some 28days after the transaction date.

PP and the seller were contacted simultaneously (as it was clear to me that this was an unauthorized charge)
I have received no response from the seller.

The case was closed about 7 days after it was filed.

I have used Ebay and PP for probably 8 years. I have never had a problem, other than the odd occasion when goods did not arrive, and a resolution could not be worked out with the seller.

If I am not mistaken, you have to authorize each paypal charge individually. Is there a way for you to set up automatic charge by a merchant? Is there some small print where it says "we may charge you more than you have authorized" buried in the all the legalese which one has to click before you approve the charges?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Customs duty?

No. and it would not be payable to the seller.

I could not see any possible 'Extra charges' in the ebay sale or the PP pay now site.

I also get email immediately from PayPal stating the transaction information. Are you saying that you do not have email from PayPal for the corresponding charge? Or the amount charged is different in email and in your history?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I also get email immediately from PayPal stating the transaction information. Are you saying that you do not have email from PayPal for the corresponding charge? Or the amount charged is different in email and in your history?

Exactly. Send the email you received from Paypal immediately after the transaction, as well as the dispute information, to your CC company and dispute the charge. Paypal made a mistake, but that shouldn't cost you.

Many emails have been received since my last post, but honestly I'm none the wiser.
I have called customer service and they insist that I do not owe money, but are unable to fully explain what has gone wrong??

This was the last email I received:

Dear (Expat),

PayPal has made a transfer between the balances in your account due to the following reason:

Our policy of converting negative to positive balances.

The following transfers were made:

Negative balance : -$143.99 CAD
Covered From : $10.34 USD (1 U.S. Dollar = 1.11023 Canadian Dollars)

Thanks,

PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

I wish my Bank had a policy to convert Negative balances to Positive
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back