STP oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for input on STP oil filters. good price at AZ. Champion labs, made in the US. For use in my Aveo and the Banshee's 2001 PT cruiser... RP for me(6 months, about 4000 miles) NG dino for her more miles, gonna try and go 3 times a year, she drives more.
Thanks for the input...

Most of the STP's are Champion Lab's ecores. Bad! Run away. I have no idea on your Aveo but the Chrysler filter will be an ecore.
frown.gif

You can get a Wix made Microgard at O'Reilly's or a Napa Silver for less money and get a much better filter. Purolator Classics are readily available cheaper too, again a better filter same or less money.

Last edited:
I run the 3614 on my Chrysler. Get the Microguard, I have one here and it looks identical to the Wix except for the silicone valve. The price is right. I will be installing it when it warms up here. I have the STP on now, it is an ecore but never had a problem with them. The only filter that didn't work for me was an orange fram. They were out of the stp so I bought one. The cardboard cartridge was all bent and distorted after only 3 mos. Never again. The ecores look fine after use but no reason to buy them now with the Microguards now made by Wix.

I have run many STP's on several vehicles and never had a problem. I used to run them 5k on my Altima with Mobil Clean and Mobil Super. My Jeep 4.0 had no issues running the STP S8A. No startup noise. My Trailblazer ran well on the STP S3675. Ecores are like a cartridge filter in a can. The can acts like the housing for a cartridge filter.
Poor media spacing can lead to tearing of the media, and the nylon center cage is wide open to letting pieces through. Look through the filter opening and make sure there are no wide gaps in the media. As long as the pleats are reasonably well spaced, there will be no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
I was looking for input on STP oil filters. good price at AZ. Champion labs, made in the US. For use in my Aveo and the Banshee's 2001 PT cruiser... RP for me(6 months, about 4000 miles) NG dino for her more miles, gonna try and go 3 times a year, she drives more.
Thanks for the input...

There are better for the price.

Saw these at my local autozone lat week. Thier not e core anymore, the ones my local autozone has are metal tubes in ceneter, though in the recent past they were e cores. Box also say 96% efficient, for $4.67--ide pass.

Im on my third STP one my van ( one more to go ), I run them 5k, haven't had a problem so far. They threw them in for free at AZ last year that's why im using them, if had to spend money on a filter, I would probably go with something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back