FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
The Canadian sold spec goes to Europe? Or the USA sold spec is in Europe? Thanks!

Right now it's the same M1 0w-40 spec (SN) everywhere in the world. But for a while, Canada market continued to have the old SM spec, while US and ROW already had SN.

At least that's according to the label on the bottle. Who knows - maybe the Canadians were getting the SN formula, but still in the old SM bottles? Kind of like what SOPUS is claiming to be doing with PU 5w-40...

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 for Canadian market, where is it made?

The USA, LOL! That's what I mean. We think it doesn't make sense but these companies do it
21.gif

Yes, but there is difference in PDS of those two oils.
It makes sense, bcs, same spec goes to Europe, so there is some reason behind it.
Also, M1 0W40 is already premium oil. Castrol needs product to compete with M1.

Yeah, but Mobil's PDS's contain useful data, Castrol's don't, LMAO!!!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianL
Originally Posted By: pbm
I just picked up 5 quarts of GC for $3 a quart at the AZ clearance. Has this oil changed since 5 or 6 years ago when it was all the rage here on BITOG? I think it was PAO back then but some are saying it's now Group III?

Is that chain-wide? Or does each store decide what to put on clearance?

Every store I've been in is different....some have no oils on clearance while others have several. These are the oils I've snagged..Royal Purple 5/20 and 10/30...PU 5/30 and 10/30...GC 0w30...Valvoline 0w20 and 10w30...Castrol Gold 5w20...QSUD 5w30 and 10w30.
I've left several behind like Mobil 1 HM 5w20 and Mobil SS 5w30 and lot's of QSUD..

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The Canadian sold spec goes to Europe? Or the USA sold spec is in Europe? Thanks!

Right now it's the same M1 0w-40 spec (SN) everywhere in the world. But for a while, Canada market continued to have the old SM spec, while US and ROW already had SN.

At least that's according to the label on the bottle. Who knows - maybe the Canadians were getting the SN formula, but still in the old SM bottles? Kind of like what SOPUS is claiming to be doing with PU 5w-40...

Yep, even Germany gets American version, and it is clearly stated it is HC oil!

Yeah, but Mobil's PDS's contain useful data, Castrol's don't, LMAO!!!
grin.gif

Imperial Oil and Wakefield both absolutely have to get rid of those idiotic 4.4L jugs. Those have been a thorn in my side for as long as I can remember. And people wonder why I buy 5 gallon pails.

Yup, that happened with the SN formula change and the introduction of VISOM to the product to replace some of the PAO.

But we were continuing to get the PAO version up here LONG after everybody else was getting SN.

Yup, that happened with the SN formula change and the introduction of VISOM to the product to replace some of the PAO.

But we were continuing to get the PAO version up here LONG after everybody else was getting SN.

That is why I think GC is better oil for colder areas.

They both have to pass the same CCS and MRV requirements at -35C and -40C
21.gif

Do we have MRV for GC?

I mean unless you are experiencing below -35C, which is the temperature at which they offer similar performance, I don't think there's really any difference.

Now if we were seeing -50C or something, which is beyond the pour point of the current SN iteration of M1 0w-40 (SM was -54C "back in the day") then perhaps your point rings true. But that's really friggin' cold.

They both have to pass the same CCS and MRV requirements at -35C and -40C
21.gif

Do we have MRV for GC?

I mean unless you are experiencing below -35C, which is the temperature at which they offer similar performance, I don't think there's really any difference.

Now if we were seeing -50C or something, which is beyond the pour point of the current SN iteration of M1 0w-40 (SM was -54C "back in the day") then perhaps your point rings true. But that's really friggin' cold.

My point is that due to the PAO base and some Ester, some of the oil still stays at highest point of the engine (camshafts) and that provides smoother start.
I think pumpability is close, but due to the synthetic base, GC provides smoother start.
Also, going to Visom, M1 becomes just one of the oils. I have local guy who sells Pentosin 5W40 that is Mid-SAPS. Why should I go with M1, when I can get Pentosin that is Mid-SAPS, better for intake deposits, and it is same technology as M1? Not to mention that Pentosin 5W30 VW504.00/507.00 is synthetic base, unlike M1 ESP (unfortunately I found out that after i ordered 12 liters of ESP).
As I said, any oil that is $25 for a jug, is just a cheap oil, floating among many other oils.

My point is that due to the PAO base

Going to stop you right there. You know PAO is NOT polar and doesn't cling AT ALL right? Mineral base oils are more polar than PAO is. Both oils have esters in them (though Mobil also uses AN's) so as I said, unless you are well below the CCS point (-35C here, we need to qualify it based on temperature) there really isn't a difference.

Please keep in mind that I'm not saying you aren't hearing your engine being louder on M1 0w-40, I'm sure your ears are telling you that. What I'm saying is that it probably can't be safely attributed to what you think it is.

I'm sure my M5 has more valvetrain action happening than your VW, yet I get no noise. You would think that if this issue was what you say it is, that with my VANOS, 4 cams, and 7,000RPM redline (heavier springs) that I'd be the one getting noise. But I'm not.

Also, Jeff isn't getting the noise on M1 0w-40 either, so it seems to be just you here, which, again, if it were the issue you think it is, would be happening to him too.

I believe there is something in your engine that causes the noise to be masked or not present when you use GC. And I think you should probably use GC if it is the oil that gets rid of the noise. But the extrapolations being made here from this single testimonial are getting a bit on the wild side.

Going to stop you right there. You know PAO is NOT polar and doesn't cling AT ALL right? Mineral base oils are more polar than PAO is. Both oils have esters in them (though Mobil also uses AN's) so as I said, unless you are well below the CCS point (-35C here, we need to qualify it based on temperature) there really isn't a difference.

Please keep in mind that I'm not saying you aren't hearing your engine being louder on M1 0w-40, I'm sure your ears are telling you that. What I'm saying is that it probably can't be safely attributed to what you think it is.

I'm sure my M5 has more valvetrain action happening than your VW, yet I get no noise. You would think that if this issue was what you say it is, that with my VANOS, 4 cams, and 7,000RPM redline (heavier springs) that I'd be the one getting noise. But I'm not.

Also, Jeff isn't getting the noise on M1 0w-40 either, so it seems to be just you here, which, again, if it were the issue you think it is, would be happening to him too.

I believe there is something in your engine that causes the noise to be masked or not present when you use GC. And I think you should probably use GC if it is the oil that gets rid of the noise. But the extrapolations being made here from this single testimonial are getting a bit on the wild side.

PAO is not polar, but Ester is, and that was my point.
Also, Jeff never used GC, so he practically does not know difference. My noise is not present, it occurs during cranking, when oil needs to find it's way up. The lowest temp I started GC was -27c, no issues. Lowest temp I started M1 was -32c. I do have to say that M1 ESP behaves same as GC in my Tiguan, will see how it behaves in CC once i put it there very soon.
Still, it is interesting that I had same issue in my VW Passat 1.8T. During cold weather I could not notice difference between M1 and PU 5W40; both had cranking noise, but there is difference between GC and those oils.
And I do agree about M5, but every engine has it's own requirements etc.
I always say: paper is one thing, practice is another.
On lfe habit thing: once I saw M1 in Wal Mart for $25 I was asking myself what is next thing: M1 Made in China?

Also, Jeff never used GC, so he practically does not know difference. My noise is not present, it occurs during cranking, when oil needs to find it's way up. The lowest temp I started GC was -27c, no issues. Lowest temp I started M1 was -32c. I do have to say that M1 ESP behaves same as GC in my Tiguan, will see how it behaves in CC once i put it there very soon.
Still, it is interesting that I had same issue in my VW Passat 1.8T. During cold weather I could not notice difference between M1 and PU 5W40; both had cranking noise, but there is difference between GC and those oils.
On lfe habit thing: once I saw M1 in Wal Mart for $25 I was asking myself what is next thing: M1 Made in China?

You seem kind of hung up on M1 0w-40 costing 25 bucks at Walmart and you are inferring that because it's not expensive that it's not good.
I infer from that 25 dollar price tag that retailers rape consumers at the til and even with pao or poe basestocks the mark up on oil is 100% or more.
I'm concluding that maybe Walmart is lowering its profit margins and that's why M1 is 25 a jug.
Regardless M1 0w-40 still meets all the same specs it always has and the fact that it costs 25 a jug at Walmart just means the consumer can get a world class oil at a reasonable price,and now there is less of a "euro tax" meaning that the owners of European vehicles now have a less costly choice of oil and the separation is getting smaller.
I'm not trashing on you so please don't feel like I am, I'm just offering up a different point of view.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

You seem kind of hung up on M1 0w-40 costing 25 bucks at Walmart and you are inferring that because it's not expensive that it's not good.
I infer from that 25 dollar price tag that retailers rape consumers at the til and even with pao or poe basestocks the mark up on oil is 100% or more.
I'm concluding that maybe Walmart is lowering its profit margins and that's why M1 is 25 a jug.
Regardless M1 0w-40 still meets all the same specs it always has and the fact that it costs 25 a jug at Walmart just means the consumer can get a world class oil at a reasonable price,and now there is less of a "euro tax" meaning that the owners of European vehicles now have a less costly choice of oil and the separation is getting smaller.
I'm not trashing on you so please don't feel like I am, I'm just offering up a different point of view.

I generally have problem buying in Wal Mart, all things considered.
However, there is a reason why in Wal Mart there are no oils like PU 5W40, GC or BC.
I do not think that Wal Mart is concern about "Euro Tax." It is not like Wal Mart is concerned about anything. However, obviously with M1 they can make profit margin for that price. Now, considering that Wal Mart is largest retailer in the world, why Pennzoil or Castrol are not present with their Euro premium products?
I am saying M1 is good product. I KNOW it was a great product, but I think they are not anymore leader in this segment, which they have been before.
I remember when I lived in Europe, Mobil1 was "the thing." It was: Mobil1, and rest are just oils. However, today I would say they are trying to get biggest possible profit margin, using cheaper base oils. Yes, M1 meets the specs, however, I would have more confidence in Motul 5W40 which is 100% Synthetic, then in M1, since $20 difference is nothing.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Regardless M1 0w-40 still meets all the same specs it always has and the fact that it costs 25 a jug at Walmart just means the consumer can get a world class oil at a reasonable price

I suppose some people compare the M1 PAO - VISOM switch to what Castrol did some decades ago, which was to start using less costly components, but not pass the savings onto the consumer. M1's price certainly hasn't gone down when VISOM-based product hit the shelves. So who benefited from this primarily?

Granted, dropping the price could also be detrimental to sales as people would perceive it as drop in quality (which in some ways it was) and possibly stop buying it. So there is no easy way out of this.

With that said, I have nothing against M1 0w-40. Works just fine in wife's C300.

However, there is a reason why in Wal Mart there are no oils like PU 5W40, GC or BC.
I do not think that Wal Mart is concern about "Euro Tax." It is not like Wal Mart is concerned about anything. However, obviously with M1 they can make profit margin for that price. Now, considering that Wal Mart is largest retailer in the world, why Pennzoil or Castrol are not present with their Euro premium products?
I am saying M1 is good product. I KNOW it was a great product, but I think they are not anymore leader in this segment, which they have been before.
I remember when I lived in Europe, Mobil1 was "the thing." It was: Mobil1, and rest are just oils. However, today I would say they are trying to get biggest possible profit margin, using cheaper base oils. Yes, M1 meets the specs, however, I would have more confidence in Motul 5W40 which is 100% Synthetic, then in M1, since $20 difference is nothing.

Mobil is the world's largest producer of synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is the largest range of synthetic oils in the world. The reason they have the shelf space at Walmart is because the product moves.

Pennzoil Ultra WAS at Walmart. Briefly. But it wasn't moving, so at many stores (and other stores that weren't Walmart) it went on clearance. To retain shelf space at Walmart, the product must move. Walmart is all about making money and since Mobil 1 dominates the synthetic market, it dominates their shelves.

It isn't some conspiracy to do with base oils and finding it at Walmart doesn't make it an inferior product. I'd put Mobil up against Motul any day because Mobil probably makes more money in a month than Motul makes all year. Mobil has volume on its side. It has Exxon Chemical, it has Infineum.... It has many things that, aside from SOPUS, other manufacturers don't have.

Mobil can sell a PAO based oil cheaper than anyone else because they are the world's largest producer of PAO.
They can do the same with AN's, Esters.....etc. They make ALL of that stuff. They are a true juggernaut of the petrochemical world and that's why they have more shelf space than anybody else in the synthetics market.

SOPUS has had a FAR better track record selling conventional oils than Mobil has. Which is why at Walmart and other places, you see so many of their conventional oils. They move.

This isn't really all that complex.

To retain shelf space at Walmart, the product must move. Walmart is all about making money and since Mobil 1 dominates the synthetic market, it dominates their shelves.

Right on. That's why, if SOPUS wanted PU 5w-40 to truly compete with M1 0w-40 at brick and mortar stores, it would have to price it at the same level or lower than M1. Otherwise, when you see oil with the exact same specs on the shelf, chances are you won't go for the higher priced product. It is Walmart after all - people go there to get a good price. On top of that, M1 brand recognition is a lot higher than Pennzoil Ultra, which is soon to be rebranded yet again. One thing XOM knows very well is how to play the marketing game. SOPUS has no idea, at least in the US.

To retain shelf space at Walmart, the product must move. Walmart is all about making money and since Mobil 1 dominates the synthetic market, it dominates their shelves.

Right on. That's why, if SOPUS wanted PU 5w-40 to truly compete with M1 0w-40 at brick and mortar stores, it would have to price it at the same level or lower than M1. Otherwise, when you see oil with the exact same specs on the shelf, chances are you won't go for the higher priced product. It is Walmart after all - people go there to get a good price. On top of that, M1 brand recognition is a lot higher than Pennzoil Ultra, which is soon to be rebranded yet again. One thing XOM knows very well is how to play the marketing game. SOPUS has no idea, at least in the US.

Exactly.

I'd argue that the biggest oil retailer up here is Canadian Tire. And at CT, Mobil 1 is no less expensive than Castrol, Pennzoil....etc. But it has the most shelf space because of the name.

Same with Walmart. Our Mobil is the same price as at CT, it isn't insanely cheap like in the USA. Yet it also dominates the shelves.

Mobil is the world's largest producer of synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is the largest range of synthetic oils in the world. The reason they have the shelf space at Walmart is because the product moves.

Pennzoil Ultra WAS at Walmart. Briefly. But it wasn't moving, so at many stores (and other stores that weren't Walmart) it went on clearance. To retain shelf space at Walmart, the product must move. Walmart is all about making money and since Mobil 1 dominates the synthetic market, it dominates their shelves.

It isn't some conspiracy to do with base oils and finding it at Walmart doesn't make it an inferior product. I'd put Mobil up against Motul any day because Mobil probably makes more money in a month than Motul makes all year. Mobil has volume on its side. It has Exxon Chemical, it has Infineum.... It has many things that, aside from SOPUS, other manufacturers don't have.

Mobil can sell a PAO based oil cheaper than anyone else because they are the world's largest producer of PAO.
They can do the same with AN's, Esters.....etc. They make ALL of that stuff. They are a true juggernaut of the petrochemical world and that's why they have more shelf space than anybody else in the synthetics market.

SOPUS has had a FAR better track record selling conventional oils than Mobil has. Which is why at Walmart and other places, you see so many of their conventional oils. They move.

This isn't really all that complex.

You named all advantages of Mobil, but they still sell you cheaper base oil then PAO base oil. I would not be surprised in XOM sells PAO base stocks to Motul. However, for their product they decided to go with GIII+. If it can meet specs it is enough, so why not make more money? Right? So by your argument, M1 GIII+ oil is better then Motul PAO based oil, or RL Ester based oil? Because XOM is largest chemical company? They care about our well being? On the paper I would say that RL is far better then M1, and you pay the price for that.
You said they are the biggest. Yes, that is why I do not trust them. I trust more Pentosin that makes oil in suburbs of Hamburg, where worker is paid good, has all benefits, healthcare etc, then M1 that tries to lower the cost of production at every possible way. Same goes for RL, Motul. Castrol is in a same boat as XOM. That is why they have NJ plant, cheeper production, also their 5W40 meets VW specs. It meets specs like GC and BC when it comes to VW and BMW. So, does that makes Castrol 5W40 same product like GC or BC? Heck NO! But there is reason for that. In EU they cannot play the same game like in the U.S. You know: big government is bad, regulation is bad, corporations know the best. Well, that is what happens when corporations lobby around DC. You get in the U.S. Fully Synthetic M1, but in Germany it needs to be labeled as SHC. And there is reason for that, simply, it is NOT full synthetic oil, regardless that it meets all specs.
Still, M1 is not even close to what it was in Europe when it comes to the image. They became just one of the oils. Shell Helix is more regarded now in Europe then M1, which has never been the case. Castrol with their line of products is more regarded. If you go to M1 page in Germany, you will see that M1 does not offer anymore Full Synthetic oils. So they are trying to play cheaper game, something that American car industry did. M1=Meets all specs, who cares, plus it is cheap. American car industry: it drives+it is cheap: who cares. Well we all know how that ended up.

Of course, that's location specific. Up here, Walmart has M1 0w-40, GC, Castrol 5w-40, and Castrol 0w-40. When in the same container size, they're priced much the same. They are charging a minor premium for Castrol 0w-40 over the GC, though.

As for PAO pricing in general, why can I get Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, a primarily PAO based oil with a boatload of certifications, for cheaper than just about any synthetic on the market? Walmart and many other retailers just overprice the heck out of stuff.

You named all advantages of Mobil, but they still sell you cheaper base oil then PAO base oil.

In some of their products, yes, they use Group III and VISOM. The percentage of what base stock varies by what the intended performance target is.

Quote:
I would not be surprised in XOM sells PAO base stocks to Motul.

Neither would I, they probably do.

Quote:
However, for their product they decided to go with GIII+.

No, for their product they decided to go with a BLEND of base oils that, in the current iteration, contains LESS PAO than it did previously; less than the 50% or so necessary to be classified as "full synthetic" in Germany.

Though I do find it rather amusing that we are discussing this in relation to Castrol, who started the whole group III thing in the first place and probably uses more of it in their products than Mobil does.

Quote:
If it can meet specs it is enough, so why not make more money? Right? So by your argument, M1 GIII+ oil is better then Motul PAO based oil, or RL Ester based oil? Because XOM is largest chemical company? They care about our well being? On the paper I would say that RL is far better then M1, and you pay the price for that.

Actually, on paper, the oil with the most approvals wins. Because it has gone through the most testing and has a verified track record of providing protection under a myriad of conditions, many of them incredibly demanding.

And as noted in the XOM product roadmap, VISOM was designed to be an intermediate product to be used to supplement PAO in current formulations until the products eventually migrate to GTL.... Which is ALSO group III. See, that's the problem with these classifications. PAO is just one type of base oil, as is GTL, VISOM....etc. There are a number of base oils which fall under the group III moniker yet they are not all the same. Similar to how there are many types of esters that classify as group V. But then there are AN's, which ALSO fall under group V.

Does XOM make more money with VISOM than they do with PAO? Arguably, yes. But that doesn't make them an inferior base oil choice. Heck, Castrol is probably buying the PAO that they use in whatever quantity they use it in for GC FROM XOM!!

And XOM being the largest petrochemical company is relevant because of economies of scale. They probably have more engineers on staff than many of the smaller blenders do combined. They have the resources to develop the best product in the world if they wanted to. And how do we know they haven't? You know what they say about assumptions right
wink.gif

At the end of the day, the performance of the product is what speaks to its quality. I personally think the best metric of determining just what that performance is can be gleaned by looking at the OEM testing regiments and using those as a benchmark. That is, the product with the most approvals is arguably the best performing product. In that case, it could be argued that M1 0w-40 and GC carry very similar levels of performance. Mobil has the advantage of also carrying the (very demanding) Porsche approval, which is also carried by PU 5w-40. But for most of what is being discussed here there really is no performance difference between the products that we can see by looking at a PDS or standing around with an ear horn with our hoods open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back