04/23/14 07:39 PM
Good Alternative to Suzuki Super Grease "A"
by ABCarr
04/23/14 07:34 PM
Newest Members
BMWR1200GS, Npeters1205, shrekulo, Helpme, and111
49679 Registered Users
Who's Online
113 registered (b1amgm47, asand1, 72te27, 2010_FX4, 77GrandPrix, 13 invisible), 2118 Guests and 171 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
49679 Members
64 Forums
212341 Topics
3328625 Posts

Max Online: 2651 @ 04/21/14 04:38 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#3261087 - 01/26/14 10:37 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
rw19 Offline

Loc: British Columbia
I use my phone all the time while i am driving for work reasons. I get phone calls I use the bluetooth in my car but sometimes you get a email you have to answer it 99% of the time I pull over and reply, or on a red light.

I have gotten a ticket for emailing and driving and since then I have learned my lesson, I know the cops doing there job but they should let others do there job as well.

#3262326 - 01/28/14 07:33 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: TiredTrucker]
whip Offline

Loc: ohio
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
You see, these blanket laws have no basis in reality for many folks.

Very true. When confronted with realistic issues to their fantastical theories, all they seem to do is redirect and change the subject. Many questions have been asked, but very few answers have been given.

Great post. I wonder how they will respond?

Edited by whip (01/28/14 07:34 AM)

#3262337 - 01/28/14 07:49 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: whip]
grampi Offline

Loc: OH
Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: grampi

Again I ask, why is it necessary for even a passenger to use a cell phone in a moving vehicle?...

If it's not necessary it needs to be regulated? Are sports cars necessary? What about motorcycles? Smoking and drinking? Where does your desire to regulate unnecessary thing stops?

It needs to be regulated when unnecessary things that are done are dangerous to themselves and others...

#3262339 - 01/28/14 07:51 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: whip]
grampi Offline

Originally Posted By: Garak
If there was a jammer, of course there would be a problem. Like I said, though, if I were king of the world, cell phones would be equipped with jammers from the factory and would be expensive bricks. wink

Thankfully, narrow minded people like you and Grampi aren't in charge.

Unfortunately, there are too many people like you who want everything to be a free-for-all...

Imagine that, a person living in a free country wanting people to have free will.

One person's free will ends when it becomes a danger to others...

#3262352 - 01/28/14 08:03 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
whip Offline

Again I ask, why is it necessary for even a passenger to use a cell phone in a moving vehicle?...

If it's not necessary it needs to be regulated? Are sports cars necessary? What about motorcycles? Smoking and drinking? Where does your desire to regulate unnecessary thing stops?

It needs to be regulated when unnecessary things that are done are dangerous to themselves and others...

I'd be willing to bet that more people die from motorcycles, smoking, and drinking than passengers making phone calls. So are you calling for regulations to ban motorcycles? What about people driving to the mall in bad weather? Unhealthy food? I broke my ankle once running. Wheres the outrage against exercise?

#3262355 - 01/28/14 08:06 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
whip Offline

Imagine that, a person living in a free country wanting people to have free will.

But you only apply this logic selectively. There are things you do that many would say are dangerous to others, and you still do them. Why do you hold others to a higher standard than you hold yourself?

#3262356 - 01/28/14 08:06 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: Garak]
whip Offline

Originally Posted By: Garak
Thankfully, narrow minded people like you and Grampi aren't in charge.

I don't like land lines, either. I have no cell phone, and I'm still alive.

Does this somehow make you a better person?

#3262362 - 01/28/14 08:11 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
TiredTrucker Offline

Loc: Kellogg, IA

But it is like the tree falling in the forest. If one is on a remote stretch of road, there is no other motorists around, how is using the cell phone dangerous? Not any more so than sucking down a hamburger while driving. So, do we have provisional things about the regs? I am also reminded of an intersection on a gravel road that has a stop sign. You can see over a 1/4 mile in either direction on the adjacent road before you ever arrive at the intersection. Many just slow and look and don't fully stop. Of course, Barney has noticed this, even though there is very little traffic on these roads, He will sit to the side in hiding and wait for someone to "run" the stop sign. He is going to see that justice is done and the law is obeyed!

And some wonder why a lot of folks start to have disdain for all the regulations that get thrown out there like a shotgun blast. Because in the end, it is just piling on the laws with no real change in things. We have laws against murder, but murder goes on like there are no laws against it. We can pile on the cell phone laws and regulate the snot out the practice, but it will go on like not one law has been written. When it comes down to it, it is only yet another fine or penalty we can throw onto someone after any accident. You are not going to stop the practice with another regulation.

It will just allow some politician to come back to the district and spout out about how he is doing something about the problem, now vote for me.

#3262494 - 01/28/14 10:17 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
Jarlaxle Offline

Loc: New England

You are in favor of banning motorcycles, then?

#3262521 - 01/28/14 10:42 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: whip]
Garak Offline

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Does this somehow make you a better person?

No, that means we have to be a little more clear as to what's a luxury and what's a necessity.

But it is like the tree falling in the forest. If one is on a remote stretch of road, there is no other motorists around, how is using the cell phone dangerous?

If there's no other motorist around, the odds of getting a ticket are nil, since a ticketing officer would have to be a motorist as well.

2008 Infiniti G37 coupe - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, Hastings LF113
1984 F-150 4.9L six - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515

#3263471 - 01/29/14 07:54 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: whip]
grampi Offline

But you only apply this logic selectively. There are things you do that many would say are dangerous to others, and you still do them. Why do you hold others to a higher standard than you hold yourself?

You're just being ridiculous now...I'm guessing your probably one of many drivers who thinks it's time to get on the phone when your driving...

#3263476 - 01/29/14 07:57 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: TiredTrucker]
grampi Offline

But it is like the tree falling in the forest. If one is on a remote stretch of road, there is no other motorists around, how is using the cell phone dangerous? Not any more so than sucking down a hamburger while driving. So, do we have provisional things about the regs? I am also reminded of an intersection on a gravel road that has a stop sign. You can see over a 1/4 mile in either direction on the adjacent road before you ever arrive at the intersection. Many just slow and look and don't fully stop. Of course, Barney has noticed this, even though there is very little traffic on these roads, He will sit to the side in hiding and wait for someone to "run" the stop sign. He is going to see that justice is done and the law is obeyed!

And some wonder why a lot of folks start to have disdain for all the regulations that get thrown out there like a shotgun blast. Because in the end, it is just piling on the laws with no real change in things. We have laws against murder, but murder goes on like there are no laws against it. We can pile on the cell phone laws and regulate the snot out the practice, but it will go on like not one law has been written. When it comes down to it, it is only yet another fine or penalty we can throw onto someone after any accident. You are not going to stop the practice with another regulation.

It will just allow some politician to come back to the district and spout out about how he is doing something about the problem, now vote for me.

Fine, don't make any more laws against cell phone use while driving, just make phones so they won't work in a vehicle with the ignition on then...problem solved...unless you've got another idea...

#3263479 - 01/29/14 07:59 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: Jarlaxle]
grampi Offline

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

You are in favor of banning motorcycles, then?

More ridiculousness...how many people die on motorcycles each year and how many people die due to cell phone use while driving each year...enough said on that...

#3263484 - 01/29/14 08:05 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
TiredTrucker Offline

Loc: Kellogg, IA

Fine, don't make any more laws against cell phone use while driving, just make phones so they won't work in a vehicle with the ignition on then...problem solved...unless you've got another idea...

And I addressed that idea a few posts back. It is asinine to require cell phones be shut off or not work when the ignition starts. That puts people's lives in jeopardy just as much as any perceived threat by using cell phones. Go back and read it. I take it a step further here. Anyone that would even suggest your idea should give up their citizenship right away, for they are not worthy of being American and espousing the ideals of Americanism. Because what you suggest, falls under Facist or Communist ideology. One of the reasons, some days, that I think my 7 years in the military was a total waste of time.

#3264242 - 01/29/14 07:35 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: TiredTrucker]
grampi Offline

And I addressed that idea a few posts back. It is asinine to require cell phones be shut off or not work when the ignition starts. That puts people's lives in jeopardy just as much as any perceived threat by using cell phones. Go back and read it. I take it a step further here. Anyone that would even suggest your idea should give up their citizenship right away, for they are not worthy of being American and espousing the ideals of Americanism. Because what you suggest, falls under Facist or Communist ideology. One of the reasons, some days, that I think my 7 years in the military was a total waste of time.

Doing absolutely nothing is not the answer either, which is what you seem to be suggesting...and how does not having a cell phone that can be used when the ignition is on put lives in jeopardy? You mean all those years before cell phones were around were risky ones because there were no cell phones? Lol!

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >