Thoughts about this oil? Magnatec 5w-30 Fuelsaver

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the price on that oil where you shop Crinkles?

Last time I looked they wanted about $55 for 5L, which seems pretty steep considering that I can usually get the regular 10w40 magnatec for around $25 to $30 on sale.

I was thinking about giving that a try last winter but I baulked at the price when I saw "Edge Titanium/FST 5W30 A3/B4" on sale for less money. The funny thing is this Edge A3/B4 is the like the opposite of fuel saver, 12.5 cSt @100C and 3.6 hsht yet I've been getting as good or better fuel economy than ever.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
These two statements make me wonder about startup wear,then restarting a hot engine:

Up to 75% of engine wear happens while your engine warms up (where a thin oil 0W20-10W30 would benefit).

When the engine stops, oils
drain off critical engine parts, however Castrol Magnatec’s intelligent molecules don’t, they cling
to the engine like a magnet, providing instant protection from the moment you turn the key (this is where a 10W40-20W50 would benefit,because it all won`t drip off the engine`s internals like water and all be in the oil pan,instead of clinging to the internals).

I guess engine oil is always a compromise,a give and take per se. Is ester the *magnatec* ingredient? Because aren`t esters polar,whereas pao`s/grp III`s arent?

Originally Posted By: uart
What's the price on that oil where you shop Crinkles?

Last time I looked they wanted about $55 for 5L, which seems pretty steep considering that I can usually get the regular 10w40 magnatec for around $25 to $30 on sale.

I was thinking about giving that a try last winter but I baulked at the price when I saw "Edge Titanium/FST 5W30 A3/B4" on sale for less money. The funny thing is this Edge A3/B4 is the like the opposite of fuel saver, 12.5 cSt @100C and 3.6 hsht yet I've been getting as good or better fuel economy than ever.
crazy.gif

Yeah, the price point is ridiculous, but still intrigues me. WIll probably end up tossing a coin for GTX 10w-30 or Shell Helix 10w-30

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Yeah, the price point is ridiculous, but still intrigues me.

The other thing that didn't impress me (especially for an oil at that price) was that it only seemed to carry the basic API specs. No ACEA A1/A5 for example, or any other OEM/industry certifications.

The Edge I ended up getting however has lots of approvals:

ACEA A3/B4
BMW LL01
VW 502.00/505.00
MB 229.3/229.5

Last edited:
If fuel economy correlates to HTHS - I would expect A3 5w-30 to be less fuel efficient than GF-5/A1/A5. I recall from 5 or more years ago i was not that impressed by edge 5w-30 A3, and fuel consumption was one of the reasons.

I wish Castrol would make some mention of cleaning... Shell does.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
These two statements make me wonder about startup wear,then restarting a hot engine:

Up to 75% of engine wear happens while your engine warms up (where a thin oil 0W20-10W30 would benefit).

When the engine stops, oils
drain off critical engine parts, however Castrol Magnatec’s intelligent molecules don’t, they cling
to the engine like a magnet, providing instant protection from the moment you turn the key (this is where a 10W40-20W50 would benefit,because it all won`t drip off the engine`s internals like water and all be in the oil pan,instead of clinging to the internals).

I guess engine oil is always a compromise,a give and take per se. Is ester the *magnatec* ingredient? Because aren`t esters polar,whereas pao`s/grp III`s arent?

I had a dinner sitting at a table with one of the Castrol chemists who worked on the Magnatec project and have been a convert, although not a regular user.

His take was that the UMA (Unique Molecular Attractant) ester molecules formed their own layer on the metal surfaces, and protected in the warm up period where the viscosity was dropping from being cold and thick and holding parts away from each other to allowing closer approaches, and the temperatures at which the additives kick in and protect those areas that rely on the AW additives...

Their test mules used M1-flushing oil-Magnatec-flushing oil-M1 to test that the before and afters were consistent, and the test reflected the test, and they found that the residual UMA improved both the flush and the baseline oil performance for a while (bear in mind it was a test, and short duration).

At the time he was talking to me, he was an employee of another company, and really didn't have anything to gain by talking it up.

Castrol seem to have dropped the "semi synthetic" nomenclature from the description. I think they believe the magnatec brand sells better. I was told Magnatec 5w30 is full synthetic so is the 5w40 diesel. The rest are part synthetic which maybe a reason for the high price. im in NZ right now and today I went out to buy 2 jugs of cheap oil. I was looking for 10w30 but the cheapest Repco had was $50 a jug. Im not really a fan of magnatec but i ended up buying 2 jugs of magnatec 10w40 to service 2 cars. Why? It was half price at $25 a jug!

I never understood the Magnatec 5w30's position as a "fuel saver" when its $15 more than their own standard GTX 10w30:

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf%5C10054_GTX_10W-30_465656_2012_10.pdf

The HTHS is the same so the fuel economy would be for all intents and purposes, identical. The industry certs are the same so I can't see how the Magnatec is worth the 40% price hike.

I would never usually buy Mag 5w30 due to the price but I just bought 2 jugs last weekend 40% off, and they have finally updated the product to a SN/GF-5 spec.

The PDS shows a more believable TBN of 7.6 taking some of the shine off the SM version but I suspect the TBN stated on the SM PDS is a mistake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back