Late Christmas present - Mossberg 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Gorgeous...$10,000 fine or 2 years in jail for possession down here.

I keep a fully loaded AR-15 next to the bed. Bad guns laws and me wouldn't get along.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
and it came highly recommended over the 870 by the local gun shop apparently
21.gif

That usually means "we dont have that gun you are looking for in stock, but hey, we have this here gun in stock and it is even better!!" or something like that
confused.gif

My understanding was that either one was going to have to be ordered. They told my wife that the 870 had traditionally been bulletproof but that they had been having issues with them recently and so were recommending the Mossberg instead because it has been problem-free.

Congrat's on the gun. I shot a 500 as my all purpose shotgun for a lot of years. I retired the 500 as may main gun and moved up to the 835 when it came out. I mostly hunt waterfowl and wanted the extra payload and punch of the 3.5". Early steel loads were awful so any advantage needed to be grabbed. The 500 would be fine with modern steel loads but I am so used to 3.5" stuff now I stick with it.

I actually still have the 2nd 500 I ever bought. I still use it for my deer hunting gun and it is a back up for anything else I might need it for although admittedly it is down the list behind 12g 3.5" guns for waterfowl and my SXS's for upland. For deer though it is #1. It is about 20-25 years old and works just fine. It is my 2nd 500 overall.

The 1st one got ruined by saltwater in year 2 of ownership( don't douse a gun in the ocean, get sick when you arrive home and forget the gun is cased, and leave it there for 2-3 weeks before you remember it
33.gif
)and was not salvageable. I still have 500 #2 and it is doing well. It throws a sabot out of the Mossberg rifled barrel I bought for it with deadly accuracy out to 100-125 yds( furthest I would shoot here ).

FWIW I have shot the following all with a Mossberg 500 so as you can see it works and is very versatile...

Waterfowl( puddle ducks, diver ducks, sea ducks, geese - 20+ species in total )
Ring-necked Pheasant( + some exotics at a game farm once too )
Grouse/Partridge( Ruffed and Hungarian )
Bobwhite Quail
Rabbit( Cottontail and Snowshoe Hare )
Eastern Wild Turkey
Whitetail Deer

You will enjoy the gun. If you ever do have any problems Mossberg is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with for gun warranty. The guns are shipped to Maverick arms for repairs and they do a good job and have a reasonable turn around time.

NHHEMI, if I remember correctly, it was you who recommended the Mossberg in my 870 thread, correct?

If so, funny how it turned out eh?
grin.gif

NHHEMI, if I remember correctly, it was you who recommended the Mossberg in my 870 thread, correct?

grin.gif

No, don't recall that. However, we talked about the 870 a little in a thread I had about my new Stoeger M3500. I posted back and forth with you a bit about how I did not like Remington guns and ammo as a rule and how their guns don't fit me good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

grin.gif

No, don't recall that. However, we talked about the 870 a little in a thread I had about my new Stoeger M3500. I posted back and forth with you a bit about how I did not like Remington guns and ammo as a rule and how their guns don't fit me good.

Yes, that must have been it! Got my threads mixed up
smile.gif
It was Bill in Utah who commented on Mossberg in my 870 thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2997571/4

Anyway, I can certainly see why you like them. My buddy Jon has an 870 and I do like the Mossberg better, we'll probably have them out together in the next couple of weekends.
cheers3.gif

Nice shotgun!
thumbsup2.gif
I have a Mossberg 500 (black) with 18" open choke barrel and pistol grip - the "home defense" model. Lots of 3" mag 00 buck and #4 with a few slugs mixed in. Shotguns are fun to shoot for sure.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Nice shotgun!
thumbsup2.gif
I have a Mossberg 500 (black) with 18" open choke barrel and pistol grip - the "home defense" model. Lots of 3" mag 00 buck and #4 with a few slugs mixed in. Shotguns are fun to shoot for sure.
smile.gif

The pistol grip version (that also came with a wood stock)had a 18.5" barrel on it. I had one of those back in the 80s, that was a lot of fun. The safety broke on it maybe 15 years ago, gave it away. I wish I could get another one, but they dont seem to make it with out the crazy thing on the end of the barrel.

You can also buy the pistol grip separately from the gun (I believe). My dad originally bought the Mossberg 500 that I have and there are no chokes or anything on the end of the barrel, but I can interchange the polymer pistol grip and the wood (or wood-like) butt stock.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
You can also buy the pistol grip separately from the gun (I believe). My dad originally bought the Mossberg 500 that I have and there are no chokes or anything on the end of the barrel, but I can interchange the polymer pistol grip and the wood (or wood-like) butt stock.

Yes, the local shop has all kinds of accessories and interchange items for it I discovered.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I love the 500, and this is one of the reasons. It's one of the most versatile firearm platforms out there.

Agreed. Another is the Ruger 10/22, holy poo-bags, I've never seen a gun with so many aftermarket options
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
^you've never seen an AR or AK before? Wow.

Well of course I have, LOL! But you can take the hunter rifle style stock off the 10/22 and make it look like either of those guns for like $50.00! They sell muzzle brakes (on a .22!! LMAO!!) huge barrel clips (think mobster movies and the Tommie gun)....etc. The list goes on and on and on and on.

With the limits we have on magazine capacity for guns that aren't rimfire up here, there is a lot more available for guns like the 10/22. Perhaps down your way it is different?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back