Chevron Supreme motor oil, thoughts 5w30 -10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
$17.XX a case of 12 at my local Sams Club on clearance (10W30 weight). Had over 30 cases. I bought two cases to add to my already huge oil stash.

It's a very light colored oil that looks like vegetable oil.

It'll take a few months before you ever see it on the dipstick.

We use Chevron/Texaco products at work and have for over ten year, The Havoline name is taking over from the Chevron Supreme name on most products. Delo will stay with heavy duty product but the only product that still says Chevron Supreme is standard gas engine oil all synthetics, atf, gear oil and antifreeze now says Havoline and I don't see the standard 5-20,5-30, 10-30 and 20-50 staying the same for long. I was told years ago that marketing dept. thinks Havoline name is eazy to sell vs Chevron.
To answer the question yes the Havoline products are Chevron rebadged as per LUBE-TEK lubricants tech hot line. I don't E mail Lub-Tek I call them as they are good to talk to. The best guy on the phone's is "Jimmy O" at Chevron Lubricants. LubeTek line.

I remember reading that since the merger, they have been trying to use Havoline as the "better label" while Chevron was more of the basic label. Not too much of a difference but that was the claim I have seen.

I wonder if they just use different names in different regions due to different customer bases.

I guess since Havoline sponsors my college's athletic conference, then I am in the Havoline region. I run Havoline. Go Tigers.

If I wasn't so oriented on trying new oils "just because," I'd probably have stuck with Havoline. Yah, I know everyone says it's probably best to find an oil you like and stick with it, but in my mind, I'd say that's more for if you have a new car that you're wanting to last for a long time. I don't put enough miles on my truck for that kind of thinking. When I got my truck it had about ~98k miles on it. That was probably, oh I'd say about 4 years ago. In that time I've managed to put only 20k miles more on it. With an average of 5k miles per year, I expect that something else will fail before the engine. Especially since I know some people with over 350k miles on their Triton engines! So, I think my game of "trying new oils each time I change oil" really doesn't make a difference in my case. (For the record, I've tried PYB, Castrol, Havoline, and now Kendall - all have been successful in my book.)

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I personally think the top 3 conventional oils on the market are Chevron/Havoline, Petro-Canada, and Pennzoil, and have for a while.

There have been some amazing long UOA's posted on this site with Havoline and Chevron.

Problem is, as others have said, they are harder to find these days. When I worked at WM 15 years ago, they sold quarts of Havoline for $1.98 all day. I used it as top-off oil for years.

Now the only place I can get Havoline is a smaller, local chain called Partssource that sells it for $4.99 a quart.

Part source is owned by Canadian tire.
And didn't chevron invent hydrocracking oil back in the 60s. I'm sure I read that somewhere.
And as Garak has mentioned the husky/Mohawk chain sells delo and chevron oils. Here in sask anyways.
I used chevron fuels in BC and my mustang loved it. I'm anxious to use it in my bike once I ride it out to the west coast.

Yep, I don't even recall where in Canada addyguy is from. I believe down east, Chevron might have their own distribution network. At least in the three prairie provinces, they contracted that out to Husky/Mohawk. I'm fairly certain that would be a better option than Partsource. I don't think I've ever seen Partsource advertise a sale on Havoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back