'05 Impala strut noises from the top end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the struts replaced (45,000 miles) and there was always a squeak,grunt sound after that so they replaced those. This was about a year ago. Monroe sense a trac struts put on.
The noise in warm temps was at road bumps, dips in road surfaces, turning and so on. Some said to spray some lube on the tops where they attach, made it worse. I cut some cardboard and stuffed it under the metal cap and rubber piece and most of the noise went away. The main sound in from the drivers side now.(area is called the towers I think)
I know the original top mount was NOT a soft/rubbery type, it was a harder material and made no noises, I know that from doing maintenance and checking things.
Installer said they are always soft mounts under the top metal cap (in the engine compartment).
The sound is a creaking or the sound that rubber can make when wet, like a wet pair of shows on a shiny floor but a deeper sound if that makes sense.
Are the mounts to be a hard style or soft? Funny that adding cardboard under the cap as I said would quiet the sound when shops said it's normal. I am the 2nd person who has a car that makes that sound, I found another person who wasn't happy either from the same shop with struts and sounds.
I know I was oversold on this a told the main company back then, my fault since it only has 45k on it! They seemed fine but... I messed up letting them do the job from a sound (a bad grunting on hard stops that made me go to them in the 1st place and seemed to be a bushing they replaced yet the sound stayed but not as bad.
HOW can I end this stupid sound of the struts??? Warm temps make a squeaking, colder a squeak/grunt.
Steering is fine and when the car went in for my last posting for other problem they said it is the correct strut/parts/installation and see nothing wrong.
Any assistance would be helpful, NO the shop that installed them is never to get my car again.
Confused yet...lol. Thanks for any advise !

Gee IDK! Did you do the installation or did you have'em installed at a shop? Maybe they'll consider replacing them under Monroe's lifetime warranty!

Were the strut mounts ever replaced? GM cars of that era seemed to have an issue with them (I went through quite a few on 2 different cars and I'm far from a rough driver)

Monroe struts for many GM cars come with 2 metal cups, one shallow and one a little deeper.
Its possible you need the deeper one on there.
Putting the cardboard in took up the play that is causing the noise.

A shop installed them not me. As for the cups, that's a thought! Makes noises also on left hand turns and u hear it coming from the top end while driving. I like a quiet car. It may be a base car but it has been v/g for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back