Ford D9JL-9510 carb

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off the Ford 300 cu in I6 engine in my snow cat. Too cold to work on it, so while I wait for warmer weather, I pulled the carb.

SO:
1) What to look up on RockAuto to get a rebuild kit?
2) The carb body has a little punch in the metal just past the "9510" numbers, could it have been made like that or some odd damage?
3) There is a brass fitting between the fuel line and carb fuel inlet. Its hex shaped and threaded on both ends. An inline filter maybe?

Usually theres a metal tag under one of the screws and it will have the numbers stamped on it. If theres no tag or numbers anywhere then you will have to i.d. the manufacturer and guess the year. Id guess a motorcraft and a carb kit from the mid 70's ford truck with a 4.9 would work.

A common problem was the bottom plate would come loose.

This appears to be a 1 bbl Holley. Holley is one of the few (or only) carb to have numbers stamped on it vs a tag. This has stamped numbers. They may have used a different carb since this was considered an industrial engine with a governor.

I can have it prof. rebuilt for $150. I have fooled with various carbs, even a 4 barrel Holley for my Mach 1 Mustang, but still I am no expert.

Will the company do a lot lot better job than I can do by soaking the carb in a gallon of carb cleaner and blowing out the passages?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I can have it prof. rebuilt for $150. I have fooled with various carbs, even a 4 barrel Holley for my Mach 1 Mustang, but still I am no expert.

Will the company do a lot lot better job than I can do by soaking the carb in a gallon of carb cleaner and blowing out the passages?

I would try cleaning it out yourself first. If that doesn't seem to help then a professional rebuild might be worthwhile.

A 1-barrel Holley is easy. I overhauled one from a Duster in a drain pan on the back steps one evening and drove to work the next day. My only previous experience was tinkering with carbs on the car and "helping" (mainly watching) somebody else overhaul Q-jets and Holley 4-barrels.

My carb didn't have the brass piece you mention in #3, but I remember that the brass fitting/fuel inlet on the carb included the needle and seat. It has been almost 20 years, but it seems like tightening or loosening that fitting could affect the float level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back