Thoughts on this new Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks awesome. It reminds me of the old black talon ammo. It is now banned and this will probably never make it to market. If you like that ammo check out DRT Dynamic Research Technology.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Theres no way that california will allow that here

I am afraid Calif shooters will be lucky to get anything anymore. Other than a 150billon dollar train to no where. No more semi autos with the new laws requiring striker id printing of the cases by the weapon. S&W and Ruger are NOT selling their semi autos in moonbeamland anymore I hear...sad

Originally Posted By: The_Captain
Looks awesome. It reminds me of the old black talon ammo. It is now banned ....

Winchester Ranger Talon is sold now, and it's basically the same as the black talon.

hqdefault.jpg

IMG_0097_zpsd3e9d65a.jpg

I'd be suspicious of it's effectiveness with such a light weight and multiple small segments.

Just speculating here, even though it would create multiple wound channels, they would be small ones. I wonder how much CNS and or major organ damage they would actually do? How fast could they actually stop a given threat?

The RIP in a shotgun slug ... I can just imagine that would be totally nuts.
grin.gif

I seriously wonder how much they cost.
I've seen ammo that is mass produced cost $2 a round.
I'd bet this is at least $5 a round.

They may be able to make a go of it if they can churn out a few million rounds a year.
Engineering for the 9mm and .45 is tough. The other, higher pressure rounds, are much more difficult.

Well, I guess we know what the makers of "Extreme Shock" ammo went on to do.

Evil looking bullet. Serious man with a serious voice giving voice over on an absurd video. Very serious tactical lumberjack men using very serious full-auto handguns. The very serious FBI is doing very serious testing. They may be banned. They're already banned in California, because California is very serious. You can't even say "G2 Research RIP Ammunition" in California without being arrested and having serious charges brought against you.

Very serious. So tactical. Such marketing.

I have seen people get shot dead as Kennedy with FMJs. People.stress ammo choice way too much. Put holes in people with a decent round in a decent caliber. Repeat as needed. You don't need a round with as much engineering as the starship enterprise. Hydrashoks work just fine. End of rant.

I would have the following concerns :

* Reliable feeding in a semi - auto with those jagged ends.
* 16 inch penetration in such a light bullet (96gr.) ...Really ?

For my money it comes down to just two for self - defense : Speer Gold Dot OR Federal HST .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I would have the following concerns :

* 16 inch penetration in such a light bullet (96gr.) ...Really ?

I think their "16 inch penetration" claim is probably based on the penetration of each little chunk that breaks off after initial penetration, based on the videos of shooting into ballistic gel.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
For my money it comes down to just two for self - defense : Speer Gold Dot OR Federal HST .

That's what all my research concluded also, with Winchester Ranger Talon thrown in there too.

I dont see how the pieces would have the mass and velocity to penetrate that far. I mean if the old pre bodned era JHP ammo was not effective because it shed jacketing and mass, I dont see how this will be much different.

After watching the videos, there was nothing there but marketing fluff. Pistols running full auto and water balloons. The gelatin they were using "looked" more watery/softer than the gelatin I've seen in other tests. They also didn't state how or if it was calibrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back