'95 Volvo 850 AW50-42LE Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DD the '95 850 T5-R needs it's trans fluid changed. I can tell it's shifting a bit rougher since I purchased the car in September of '12.

Fluid in transmission has unknown mileage (really so does the trans technically but let's ignore that) and I didn't change it when I first bought the car. I know I know.

I'm at 183k and seeing ALOT of people saying go full synthetic. I'm also seeing some people saying to use AutoRX and also some people saying to add Lubrigard in. Halp!

1) Synthetic or not? I do know it needs to be at least Dex III
2) What brand?
3) AutoRX or something else?
4) Lubrigard or something else?
5) Just a D&F or full flush?

Your knowledge and advice for the GF's 4Runner was great so I ask of your help again.

Last edited:
Hello, Go for a full flush.
It's so easy and doubly effective.
In your vehicle you merely remove the upper transmission cooling hose at the radiator.
Extend the line with enough 1/2" clear plastic hose to reach a catch can you've marked at 2 quart intervals.

The only things you need to buy are 4 jugs of fluid, replacement aluminum gasket (18mm washer) for the plug, the pair of small, soft "O" rings for the cooling line, the clear hose and a replacement retaining clip for the cooling line.
That clip will be either an external aluminum cage style. They do break but are frequently reusable with the aid of a tie wrap.
Or it's the green press in style.
NOTE: When you press in the ears of the internal style clip, they seem barely to move at all.
The "withdrawal-pull" is a slow and steady one. Use the force of a tightening fist to apply pressure.
NO GORILLA TACTICS NEEDED HERE.

With a warmed-up vehicle: Start with a drain and fill. That'll use your first gallon jug.
Your first pump out step can be 3 quarts.
Replace 3 quarts (down the dipstick tube) then repeat with 2 quart steps.
The repeated caveat is to avoid pumping out bubbles. That's why 2 quart steps are harped upon.

During the 4th pump-out have someone go through the gear range.

It's so cool to see the black filth become clear red.
If your fluid clears up miraculously fast, return the 4th jug of fluid. It won't.
You'll be done in 20 minutes.

I had the "same car" in a 1999 V70. If the pictures weren't trapped in an old, locked-up computer, I'd send them to you.

Do the flush.

If your fluid cleans up and stays clean you can then consider going to a synthetic.
Let the new fluid do its job dissolving the 20 years of dirt in the torque converter first. Kira

+1 on Kira's recommendation. I use Mobil1 synthetic ATF in my V70 and flush it as Kira describes when it's time for a change. Just rolled over 197,000mi and I've experienced no tranny problems at all.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Maxlife ATF is only $16.xx a gallon at Walmart.

Found it for $13.50 at AutoZone. Woot.

Originally Posted By: Scotty_D

Nice. I guess it wasn't a price error like someone thought in the other thread.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Hopefully not. Ordered online so I can walk in and get them tomorrow. They were out of stock earlier today so I didn't want to miss my chance.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Hopefully not. Ordered online so I can walk in and get them tomorrow. They were out of stock earlier today so I didn't want to miss my chance.

Y'all laughed at me, y'all laughed at me!

I agree! I did this years ago on my 850. Easier than an oil change and you see the old fluid change to the new red after about 13 quarts. Remember, 2 quarts at a time. Turn off engine and add 2 quarts and then repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back